Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Getting into rally

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2009, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok... please escuse this silly question.

for rally usa, you are saying they require you to start in a FWD... if you are a novice?
and if so... after how many events are you allowed a 4wd?
what if you are coming from a foreign country how do they judge your experience or state where u can and cannot enter
Old Sep 2, 2009, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In 2009 the rules have changed to adopt the "Open Light" class to the Novice Program which gives NA 4WD cars a place to play as a Novice. So, to be clear, Novice can run Production, Group 2 or Open Light.

Short answer, without a Turbo, you can pretty much run a 4WD straight away now. Last year... not the case.

Rally America has adopted the "Novice" program and personally, I think that NASA Rally Sport should as well. In fact, I heard rumors (and they are rumors) that they may just do that.

Licenses are Novice, Provisional and Unrestricted.

You are a Novice for 9 Coefficient Points. Provisional for an additional 9 coefficient points and above 18, you receive an Unrestricted License.

Rally works on "coefficient points" which is a kind of scoring system that awards a point for every completed group of stage miles.

Within the Coeffienct Points Structure, there is also a "Seeding" system that groups you by "Speed Factor" at events, which is something unrelated to licensing, but is important to note that while you are going through your novice and provisional period, you will not be placed with faster drivers, regardless of make/model of vehicle.

So rest assured, you may find yourself in your P car in front of a G2 or even and Open Light car or the other way around... but know that you are competitive in stage times and won't likely get run over or overtake others easily.

Coeffience Points are as follows:
30 Special Stage Miles or less = 1 Point.
31 - 65 Miles and a minimum of 5 stages = 2 Points
66 or more = 3 Points

So, a Stage Rally or Rally Sprint with 30 miles or less is only awarded a single coefficient point. And in order to earn that point, you must COMPLETE the Rally. Start to finish. DNFs are not awarded points.

Take an Approved Rally School and get a Point or 2 (depending on the school) Then attend, for example,Oregon Trail at 3 days: Friday = 1 Point, Saturday = 3 Points, Sunday = 2 Points (for a total of 6 Points if you successfully compete all three days. )

Total... 7 Points.

Do that at 2 similar events in one season (say OT and Wild West) and you are automatically at 12 Points and into a Provisional License. Run Mt. Hood and Olympus and the Sprints and you are now and Unrestricted License holder.

NOTE - You cannot earn more than one Co-1 event towards your license. In other words, you can't run 18 co-1 Rally Sprints and get your unrestricted license.

And that can all be done in a SINGLE season here in the PNW. We usually have enough rally events to get it done.

DISCLAIMER - Events change in size and location each year so the coefficient point value of the event MAY change.

But the point remains, if you WANT to clear out your points in a single season, it IS possible.

Because of that, there is always the option of RENTING a P or G2 car for the season to get through your points and then build your PGT, SP or Open car in the meantime.

That being said, there IS a provision for integrating existing licenses or Motorsports experience into the licensing process... You plead your case to the Sanctioning Body with times, dates, events, results and letters from recognized officials of your sport stating your experience and competence.

RA will review it all and MAY waive your Novice or even Restricted License or may assign a point value to your experience. It's totally up to them. The more professional your present your case, the better your odds.

However, I really do recommend that you take the time to go through the Novice and Restricted Programs. It's not "small Pecker syndrome"... it's good, practical experience that will make you FAST in a faster car.

I hope that answers your questions and if you have any more, feel free to ask

Best of luck!

Scott

Last edited by RallyDSM; Sep 2, 2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Scott when you have your provisional licence what is open to you that wasn't available with your novice licence?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 11:41 AM

Btw, Its you have to start out in a 2WD. not just front. RWD is ok, too. Or open light, awd no turbo.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by chiney_dolly
ok... please escuse this silly question.

for rally usa, you are saying they require you to start in a FWD... if you are a novice?
and if so... after how many events are you allowed a 4wd?
what if you are coming from a foreign country how do they judge your experience or state where u can and cannot enter
Its a case by case situation. Niall McShea came over last year and ran the NEFR rally and beat everybody with a lesser car. And because he was the 2004 PWRC champ, he started in 2nd or something like that.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 02:26 PM

well i kinda wanted to understand how international rally licenses will come to play.
for instance myself.
i wanted to know what would be the procedures for me to come and run a rally in the US

we have a lisense structure out here as well... which is governed by the fia
i just wanted to know if i did come to the US and got a drive in a production evo...
would there be any complications.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chiney -- if you hold an FIA license, NO PROBLEMS. You're in.

Ferreira -- In his case, he had a verifiable, documented speed factor by which the event organizers could place him withing his competitive group. This had little to do with his license and everything to do with his experience and documented ability.

Billy -- the 2009 RA Rules NOW say that both the Novice and Provisional restrict you to P, G2 or OL. The only difference being that as a Provisional, you no longer HAVE to attend the Novice Driver's meetings.

It USED to mean that PGT, SP and G5 were available to you... but I'm not reading that in the book now. Hmmm....

Scott

Last edited by RallyDSM; Sep 2, 2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks to everyone for all the info.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 06:47 AM

ok kool