Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Nasa tts class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2009, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
obviously i do not have the authority for a definate answer, you should ask your regional director..

but according to the SCCA a carbon fiber roof in a 4 door sedan IS legal as long as you have a 4pt or more roll cage installed.

NASA may be different but there is nothing in the TT rules for, or against it.. i would assume it is similar to the SCCA, that it is legal as long as you account for safety..

Redline Time Attack outlaws CF roofs except in the unlimited class i believe

You should shoot an email to your NASA director and see what he says, i bet it is though

Last edited by MitsoKid; Oct 13, 2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 238 Likes on 214 Posts
Thanks man -

Sorry to kinda jack the thread there, I was just curious.

Your build looks great, and I wish you the best with your season!
If I could offer any suggestions with it, I may mention the Gruppe-S ACD reflash, or the Tre rear diff.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...available.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...e-service.html

Really helps the evos in terms of corner exit! Otherwise the drivetrain just operates like a normal, understeery CT9A!
Old Oct 13, 2009, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

interesting. i have looked into the rear diff. stuff before but never an ACD re-flash.. Right not my ACD doesnt even work, i have a broken speed sensor ring on the axle.. need to replace it at some point
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MitsoKid
Redline Time Attack outlaws CF roofs except in the unlimited class i believe
If that's true, then you may want to get onto the redline TA forum and make a suggestion to change that rule for next year. I don't see why they shouldn't allow a CF roof in the modified class, as long as there's a roll cage. They are drafting the 2010 rules as we speak...

l8r)
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
If that's true, then you may want to get onto the redline TA forum and make a suggestion to change that rule for next year. I don't see why they shouldn't allow a CF roof in the modified class, as long as there's a roll cage. They are drafting the 2010 rules as we speak...

l8r)
dont quote me on that, it may be legal.. it just does not state it in the rules anywhere
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Something like this?

- Bryan
Please build for me!!!!
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by MitsoKid
dont quote me on that, it may be legal.. it just does not state it in the rules anywhere
Gates has a CF roof, he runs modified, well documented install on it too.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goforwand
Please build for me!!!!
Ya can't just tease us with a graph, that's just wrong
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Something like this?

- Bryan
..... I don't really get below 5k much on a road course. I suppose you could adjust your driving style accordingly to utilize the peak torque shown here, but then your gearing might be all screwy.

**Edit; I had the hp/torque lines switched in my head!

Last edited by boomn29; Oct 14, 2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

^ actually that kind of torque curve will very much maximize a given HP rule. You would have to look at how it matches up to the stock gearing to determine your optimal shift points, but just from eyeballing it, that should actually match the stock gearing fairly well. A side benefit of that type of torque curve is that it gives you a little bit more room for error, as it will still pull VERY hard at lower RPM, which might allow you, for example, to keep it in 3rd gear coming out of a slow corner, instead of downshifting into 2nd. If I were targeting TTS, I would very much go for a setup like GST illustrated. In my case, though, I'd probably say f*** it, and go for a little bit more powah and end up in TTU.

l8r)
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Exactly, the stock turbo starts to taper at 6600ish RPM's anyway so if you could use your max allowable HP based on your weight...all the way to 8500 without it going up or down?!? And have the torque coming off the corners? Damn you'd be unstoppable.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ actually that kind of torque curve will very much maximize a given HP rule. You would have to look at how it matches up to the stock gearing to determine your optimal shift points, but just from eyeballing it, that should actually match the stock gearing fairly well. A side benefit of that type of torque curve is that it gives you a little bit more room for error, as it will still pull VERY hard at lower RPM, which might allow you, for example, to keep it in 3rd gear coming out of a slow corner, instead of downshifting into 2nd. If I were targeting TTS, I would very much go for a setup like GST illustrated. In my case, though, I'd probably say f*** it, and go for a little bit more powah and end up in TTU.

l8r)
I see what I'm missing - I was mixing up the lines...I'm an idiot!
Old Oct 14, 2009, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
Anyone know if the CF roof is legal for sure? that's the roof, not hood or anything.
Are you talking about NASA? What class?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

I hope my FP Red does good.. I do not condone street racing or agressive driving out on the street, just gotta clear that up... But the FP Red does very good in the mountain roads where I live..

The only problem I know of, is when I shift at 6,500 or 7,000rpm, it bogs when I hit the next gear really bad.

Im not sure what to do to fix this? I was thinking of upping the compression ratio to 9.5:1 so that maybe the bog would be "less" noticable because I will have more N/A off boost torque?

Or I suppose I could build the valvetrain to handle higher RPM's and shift later? The Red maintains boost very well at higher RPMS. It almost feels like its just getting warmed up when its time to shift

Last edited by MitsoKid; Oct 14, 2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:19 AM
Account Disabled

l8r)
Exactly. A setup to shoot for the maximum allowed HP for as broad as possible would be the killer setup. The torque "spike" is simply a by-product of trying to make as much horsepower as early and for as long as possible.

Quick Reply: Nasa tts class