Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Nasa tts class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2009, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
All good combo's, and winning ones at that. It all comes down to the car, the driver, and the conditions anyway. However, regardless of compound, I would put my money on a lightweight Evo Vs. a heavier higher HP Evo any day of the week.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan0
ok.. well for NASA you pay a hp/weight penalty if you run slicks... so in theory.. that will slow you down.

Slicks are a huge penalty, .75 in the adjusted weight to power. Definitely not worth it for time trials, but probably lighter on the wallet for racing in terms of useful heat cycles you can get.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluestreak
Slicks are a huge penalty, .75 in the adjusted weight to power. Definitely not worth it for time trials, but probably lighter on the wallet for racing in terms of useful heat cycles you can get.
True they make you add .75 points for non-dot slicks, but if you run and i did, a non-dot slick with a tread width under 9.6" you then get to subtract .80 points....

An evo on a 275/35/18 a6 making 375 awhp at 3180 lbs will be slower than an an evo making 350awhp on a 24/64/18 Michelin blue weighing the same at 3180 lbs....

I am sure a lot of people will disagree but most have not driven on Michelin Blues..
Old Nov 16, 2009, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

Michelin Blues take a long time to heat up and will not be much faster if any for a TT than an A6. I'd take the comparable size A6 over the Michelin Blues all day and the .75 that goes with them. I have not directly compared Michelin Blues to A6, but I have compared them to R6 and I'd take the A6's and less weight or more power to make up that .75 all day. Hoosier R100's and you may be on to something. But it's hard to justify any true slick over A6's for .75 in weight/power.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think anyone is actually reading what I am writing. If you run a skinny slick yes they add .75 but due to its width you get back .80. You still can not run as much power as you would beable to on A6's but the grip of the blue more than makes up for it.

Wathc the video I posted in this thread, that is the TT-S national champ and he runs brand new A6's at almost every event on his vette, you can see after are warm up lap into corner 1 they still are cold. Pay atention to the last corner of lap 2 into the main straight both tires are warm now on both the vette and my evo and my corner exit speed was much faster and allowed me to pass him in the straight.

Mitsukid said he wanted a fast set up and that is why I'm stressing these tires. Even at miller for nationals I put my new Michelins on and instantly dropped a second over my A6's. And at that point the Michelins were making so much grip the car was binding up in tight corners and required so much set up change Robi and I never really got it perfect as I saved the tires for the last day and we only had 2 sessions remaing.maybe Robi can chime in to relay what I'm tying to say.

But furthermore I suggest these tires as you can buy them used with 75% to 80% tread life left for around $300 a set!!! You can hardly buy one hoosier for that... So anyway like they say opinions are like as$ holes and everyone has one! HAHAHA
Old Dec 16, 2009, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hamflex
I don't think anyone is actually reading what I am writing. If you run a skinny slick yes they add .75 but due to its width you get back .80. You still can not run as much power as you would beable to on A6's but the grip of the blue more than makes up for it.....
NASA 2010 rules are out!

For the TTA-TTF classes, the Hoosier A6 went up in points to +13! However, for TTS (aka this thread) it doesn't matter.

Maybe I can get hamflex to let me borrow his slicks for a session next year? I'm curious to see what they feel/drive like as TTS might be in my future eventually.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Yes boom, come to the dark side

TTS/ST2 ftmfw
Old Dec 16, 2009, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like with the new points and converting to E85 I'll be in TTS next year.

It doesn't matter too much since here in the Texas region there's not a lot of competition either way.

I'm WAY overweight/underpowered, so it doesn't matter much either!