Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Nasa tts class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2009, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nasa tts class

I was just wondering how many guys are running Evo's in the TTS class nationwide. I bought an Evo am in the process of building it for TTS class.

I calculated that at 3,263ibs I can have 388.75HP. Does this sound correct for the class?
Old Oct 13, 2009, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might - might - run some in TTS next year. It's a difficult class for the Evo but I think it can be competitive with some well setup suspesion, a broad powerband, and some good driving. I say difficult becaues I run in the MW division with the 2009 TTS National Champ and he custom built the engine to the limit of the rules.

What tire are you going to run? I'd assume a 275 so you can get some pts back in the power/weight arena?
Old Oct 13, 2009, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
The issue with Evo's in TTS is that the Vette's and Vipers and such that run with us have in some cases 450-500+ lbs. torque. With a stock 2.0, you'll have to do some pretty nice driving. A stroker is almost a must. ST2 is better suited because it gives the Evo a chance to catch them in the corners. However this all depends on your competition in your area, as Boom said, you could have great drivers or you could have suck ones and win every time

As far as your build otherwise, i'd take several hundred pounds out and take the HP down. For the Evo it's easier on the engine, easier on the brakes, and you'll get more accel which the Evo needs in this class.

Last edited by Balrok; Oct 13, 2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
I might - might - run some in TTS next year. It's a difficult class for the Evo but I think it can be competitive with some well setup suspesion, a broad powerband, and some good driving. I say difficult becaues I run in the MW division with the 2009 TTS National Champ and he custom built the engine to the limit of the rules.

What tire are you going to run? I'd assume a 275 so you can get some pts back in the power/weight arena?
the thing is i never intended to really race my car. So i did alot of aftermarket stuff and out classed myself. I wish i was in TTC or something but I got bumped to TTS according to what Jeff England told me yesterday. He is the southeast director. I managed to rack up 79pts so im right on the line. Im just trying to figure out how to build my engine and what tires/wheels to run.

right now i have Enkei NT03+M's in a 17x8.. So I definatly need some wider/larger wheels. I dont think a 275 will fit on those wheels and perform worth anything.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Post your detailed current parts/specs.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

okay, this may take awhile for me to remember everything and i know you guys will laugh at some of the parts on the car but I bought it from a 16yo ricer,

Last edited by MitsoKid; Oct 13, 2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Engine:
Stock Bottom End
Stock Head
FP RED
Stock ECU w/ Tactrix
Custom 3" Turbo-Back w/ FP 02 housing
Megan Header
HKS 264 Cams
Manual Boost Controller
HP Wastegate
AEM Intake w/ K&N Typhoon filter
750cc Injectors

Making roughly 380whp but needs a tune

Not much more to look at as far as the engine goes. I have a cracked piston so a rebuild is coming up in the next month or two.. I dont have enough money to do anything nice like a stroker kit or anything though.

Drivetrain:
Perrin Shifter Bushings
Exedy Twin Disc HD clutch
ShepTrans Stage 2 Transfer Case/Transmission
Energy Rear diff. Mounts

Suspension:
Tanabe 7 series coilovers w/ race springs
tanabe front and rear swaybars
tanabe complete underbracing kit
oe front strut tower bar
Cusco rear strut tower bar
complete poly bushings
Perring PSRS kit w/ caster adjustment

Wheels/Tires:
Enkei NT03+M's 17x8 (need larger/wider wheels)
Tires undecided

Interior:
Stripped
AutoPower SCCA/NASA legal 6pt roll cage
G-force Harnesses
Sparco Seats
Sparco Steering wheel w/ quick release

Exterior:
ARP Front Bumper w/ integrated lip
ARP canards
ARP rear carbon diffuser
Carbon Fiber Hood
Laminex on Headlights and Tailights
Soon to have Rolled Fenders

Thats about it.. Im gonna get my *** kicked arnt I?

im not sure on weight either.. I do not have access to scales at the moment

Last edited by MitsoKid; Oct 13, 2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Is a carbon fiber roof legal??
Old Oct 13, 2009, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
Is a carbon fiber roof legal??
im not sure? I bought it to replaced the damaged OE one. It was a hell of alot cheaper.. I hope it is.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MitsoKid
Engine:
FP RED
Well this right here means you either need re-classed by dyno or straight to TTS/U/R. You can submit the forms to be dyno classed but I guarantee you won't be nationally competitive - else everyone would do this. I actually sent director a note about a possibly being reclassed in A and he shot it down very very quick saying there's no way it'd be worthwhile and to either use the points method or go straight to TTS/U/R.

So, figure 8.7:1 for TTS... But use the modified ratio. (looking for my notes)
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

I calculated that at 3,263ibs I can have 388.75HP. Does this sound correct for the class?
Nice job - yes my calcs match that. Just depends on tire. If you run a 245 or smaller you get some pts back, a 275 or smaller a smaller amount back - anything larger than 275; nothing. Here's some numbers I've crunched. Keep in mind you can go down to 3201 w/o figuring in a weight penalty.

TTS 245 Max tire - 408 whp @ 3265 lbs
TTS 275 Max tire - 389 whp @ 3265 lbs

TTS 245 Max tire - 400 whp @ 3201 lbs
TTS 275 Max tire - 381 whp @ 3201 lbs
Old Oct 13, 2009, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

okay so I weghed my car today.. Not sure how accurate the scales were, but here's what I got..

With me in the car and an empty tank of gas the car weighed in at 3,210ibs.. thats not bad considering I just ripped stuff out and then caged it.. thats not including a passenger seat or passenger harnesses, ect.. either

I will be using something between a 255 and a 275.. Just depends on if I can find an affordable set of wheels this winter, right now I am limited to the 255's on my 17x8" wheels.. which is fine for HPDE and Turn One, ect.. Im also going to rebuild my engine with stock pistons to keep the cost down so I can save for travelling, track days, tires, brake pads, ect..

So I can have 380whp at 3,210 ibs... Thats not to bad

Last edited by MitsoKid; Oct 13, 2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

I race in Super Touring 2. The equivalent TT class to my race class is TTS. For every PT, ST, and SU race class there is an equivalent TT class. NASA has it setup that way so that TT guys can easily transition into racing if thats something they want to do some day.

TTS = ST2
TTU = ST1
TTR = SU

With the turbo swap you will automatically get reclassed into either TTS/U/R depending on your adjusted w/p ratio. Read the rules, and take it one step at a time. If you rush it you will spend significantly more money than you need to. Be patient because you will learn along the way, which will allow you to set things up accordingly.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

okay so I weghed my car today.. Not sure how accurate the scales were, but here's what I got..

With me in the car and an empty tank of gas the car weighed in at 3,210ibs......

So I can have 380whp at 3,210 ibs... Thats not to bad
^^ You going to take out any more weight or stick with what you have? You've got to add in helmet, harnesses (I hope you're using them) and at least a 1/3 or even 1/2 tank of gas so you don't fuel starve.

Bigger tires/rims do weigh more as well. But racing tires like Hoosiers are a lot lighter, so things could even out there depending on how $$ of rims you get.

Last edited by boomn29; Oct 13, 2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

That 3,210ibs includes no gas, me in a sparco 1 piece racing seat, g-force 5pt harnesses.. It does not include a passenger seat or passenger harness.. The helmet doesnt weight to much..

I thought the min. comp. weight is the absolute smallest amount of weight you can have wth the driver. So I assumed this meant no gas.. I did weight it will half a tank and it weighed out to 3,258ibs

Quick Reply: Nasa tts class