Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Need advice on braking and cornering

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2009, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Need advice on braking and cornering

I went to Gingerman raceway for the first time this weekend. The car hauls but when braking hard into turns the rear is so light it wants to oversteers and the rear feels very loose. Is there anything I can do to keep this from happening??

My suspension mods.
-Robi Spec KW race
-Whiteline roll center, rear bump steer, and AMS trailing arm bushing kit.
- front
camber -2.75
toe out very little. within factory spec
-rear
camber -1.3
toe in very little. within factory spec

My thought is I may need to lower the car in the rear and try to get more weight on the back. Unless evo just acts like that and I just need to learn how to drive it differently
Old Oct 18, 2009, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike it's weight transfer, as you brake the rear will get light. Stock ride height even with stock springs, it'll still do it. Accel=weight in rear, Decel/Brake=weight in front. Try braking at different apex points and use the "lightness" to your advantage.

Last edited by inco9nito99; Oct 18, 2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Tire friction circle - you can brake, accelerate, or turn. I do not trail brake, which from what it sounds like, you are doing. I late brake, go off brakes, turn, then start adding back in power.

What pads? Tires?
Old Oct 18, 2009, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

hey whats up mike, there is a number of things that could be happening. Anywhere from driving to set up.

Was it all corners? Gingerman has so many variations, sweepers left and right to tight rights and lefts and some small elevation.

Also what is the spring rates and tires? And do you have any in car video??

HAHAHAHAHa okay all this covers a good amount of possibilities!
Old Oct 18, 2009, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
practice makes perfect , It looks like you have a nice set-up on suspension, I have the same a little loose but just right when you roll the throttle it feels perfect
Old Oct 18, 2009, 02:15 PM

I've always thought that when you stiffen up the rear, it causes more tendency to point the nose in since there will be less flex back there? I'm only going by what people have said so I'm not 100% sure since I have no track experience (yet) in either of my cars. I'm interested in what others have to say about this as well as I'd like to learn too.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
GingerMan is kinda boring too

Grattan is a bit more fun.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

I too have the Robispec KW race suspension. I'm assuming you have his rear sway bar as well. It was not designed to be trail braked. Get your braking done in a straight line, turn, and then accelerate through the apex.

At least, that's what Robi told me to do and the car performs fantastic.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Beyond trying to figure out suspension tuning, work on yourself also. Get in-car footage that shows both your hands and feet, if possible. Its much more effective getting the proper help when you have that type of footage. Besides asking online, if NASA is strong in your area, get some instruction from different instructors.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is it an adjustable rear bar?
Old Oct 18, 2009, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
You can tweak the rear ride height to get it to handle the way you want. I think lowering rear a tad will help the situaiton. I'd start with 1/8" lower in the rear. I was talking to Robi at Autoclub/Fontucky/Cal Speedway a couple months back, and he mentioned the Evo Xs are hyper sensitive to the rear ride height. That 1/8" made all the difference in the world.

In my opinion, a car should be set up to reflect the driving style of the driver. I personally trail brake quite a bit also. If you're driving someone else's car, of course you'll need to adapt your driving style. But if it's your own car, might was well set it up to how you want.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

I agree with Bueller. If you're new to track then work on improving yourself as a driver. Keep the car the way it is until you're confident in your ability to notice and use a benefits of changing your setup.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by awdboosted
I went to Gingerman raceway........

....Unless evo just acts like that and I just need to learn how to drive it differently
In short - NO.

You've gotten a LOT of feedback already. Answer some of these questions and we can help diagnose further!
Old Oct 19, 2009, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow.. Thanks for the feedback guys.. Let began

inco9nito99 - I know that. But it just feel soooo loose and I wondering if that normal.
SmikeEvo - It happens when I'm brake light and turning. So I guess thats trail braking
Hamflex - I'm on Robi Race KW's and Azenis It felt like it was happening when I was braking and any movement of the steering wheel would make the rear end jitter.
Sharkbite2000 - Full Throttle out of the turns... Wow that was sick.
my3awds - I would think that would be bad. Stiffer make less traction from my understanding.
MrBonus - I wonder if the stiffer sway bar would help or make it worse? I have an oem sway bar.
spdracerut - I'm on that page. I feels that it may need to be lower in the rear to help reduce weight transfer to the front under braking.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
slow in - fast out. We have AWD not RWD.

Quick Reply: Need advice on braking and cornering