Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Bolt-in roll-bar fails

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2009 | 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a big deal, I can visualize. No pictures needed to reiterate the importance of proper roll protection
Old Oct 29, 2009 | 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Maybe a dumb question, but with the Evo being a unibody, where would one mount a rollcage (i.e., the equivalent of mounting it to the 'frame')? .. especially the hoop right behind the driver.

l8r)
Old Oct 29, 2009 | 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A proper weld in cage uses large pedestals that tie into the vertical and horizontal surfaces of the chassis right behind the seat area. This distributes the load better. Bolt in cages use plates, some better than others and usually just into the floor area.
Old Oct 29, 2009 | 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
nothing like a rally cage
Old Oct 29, 2009 | 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Maybe a dumb question, but with the Evo being a unibody, where would one mount a rollcage (i.e., the equivalent of mounting it to the 'frame')? .. especially the hoop right behind the driver.

l8r)
See the pics from my cage build. Its a pre-bent FIA homologated cage from Custom Cages.

Pics of the Cage in post 77, 96, 103. Have to look closely to see how its tied in, but I think the big thing is that its tied in and gussetted in many spots, not just 4 like a bolt in.

Dave

Last edited by DaveK; Oct 29, 2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2009 | 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
wow.. I have autopower 4point bolt in rollbar, but thats the best I can do for now. Eventually I want to get fully welded cage.
Old Oct 31, 2009 | 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Loser
Hmm... so I was about to pick up an autopower 6pt cage. Obviously one bolt-on cage failing doesn't mean every bolt-on cage will fail.
I have the AutoPower 6pt since my car did not start out as a full time track car.. Now is getting welded in with larger mounting plates and I might be going to NASCAR style door bars because OE this thing does not allow for much leg room in a wreck

Otherwise if properly mounted the cage seems to be very sturdy. I do not believe that Mustang would have had a problem if they used the proper sized mounting plates to begin with
Old Oct 31, 2009 | 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MitsoKid
I have the AutoPower 6pt since my car did not start out as a full time track car.. Now is getting welded in with larger mounting plates and I might be going to NASCAR style door bars because OE this thing does not allow for much leg room in a wreck

Otherwise if properly mounted the cage seems to be very sturdy. I do not believe that Mustang would have had a problem if they used the proper sized mounting plates to begin with
Gives me a little more confidence. Thanks.
Old Oct 31, 2009 | 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Thats the reason im against bolt in rice bars.
Old Oct 31, 2009 | 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MitsoKid

The issue isnt the size of the mounting plates. The issue is the floorpan. Have you ever tried jacking up your car on its floorpan? Have you ever seen a jack-stand slip from underneath a car and wedge itself between the ground and the floorpan? It may not punch through, but it will definitely leave a nice bump on your floorpan. Now imagine if your car was dropped from a few feet and onto a short pole. There is a good chance that pole is going to punch through your floorpan. Mount a huge plate to a piece of paper. Do you think it will tear through it? So the issue isnt really about the plate itself. Its about what youre mounting or welding it to. However, im not claiming that a well engineered bolt-in roll-bar that is somehow tied into your frame rails is going to fail. But would you really trust your life in a car like the preceding?