Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Endurance racing coming for Evolutions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2009, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Endurance racing coming for Evolutions

NASA Northeast has just announced the 2010 series schedule which includes 1 hour 30 minute endurance races on the Friday of each 3 day race weekend. Perfect for teams with 2 drivers to share a car and crew members to service and re fuel. This is the final step to organize a team and practice for pro series racing. I hope the top Evolution tuner companies/teams will be interested.
The preliminary schedule

April 16-18 NJMP Lightning (endurance race)
May28-30 NJMP Lightning (endurance race)
June?
July 16-18 Pocono International Long course (165+mph endurance race!)
August 13-14 Lime Rock Park
September 4-5 Pocono North course
October 1-3 Watkins Glen (endurance race)
October 29-31 NJMP Thunder (endurance race)

The last Watkins Glen races this passed October had 2 Subaru Sti's and 3 Evolutions racing together in the super touring classes. The NASA North East super touring races have been competitive and clean. The 3 super touring classes allow you to bring any amount of horse power. Please give some serious thought about using a great amount of racing time to test your products and mechanics.
I will try to make the events with my 2003 Evolution 8
Old Dec 5, 2009, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i want to see this
I'll be there !!! Just keep us posted !

Rob
Old Dec 5, 2009, 06:31 AM

Cool! I wish we NASA had a presence up in the PNW.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

yea NASA continues to step it up every year! I was so impressed with nationals, i originally planned to focus on the redline time attack events this year. but with all the NASA midwest tracks being so good this year i may go for my compeitition license and alternate racing weeks between TT, and ST1...
Old Dec 7, 2009, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by apex electric
NASA Northeast has just announced the 2010 series schedule which includes 1 hour 30 minute endurance races on the Friday of each 3 day race weekend. Perfect for teams with 2 drivers to share a car and crew members to service and re fuel. This is the final step to organize a team and practice for pro series racing. I hope the top Evolution tuner companies/teams will be interested.....[/IMG]
1:30 isn't much of an endurance race really. I do admit though, I get winded after a good 20min session myself...lol.
Is that 1:30 all that happens on Fridays or is there more? Just wondering what you get for your $$ and all.

They are trying to get enduro's going in the MW/GL regions as well, but people keep complaining they want at least 3hrs or it's not worth their time to tow in the extra day.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 09:17 AM
Former Sponsor

I predict many rear wheels flying off Evo's during 1:30 minute races.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Or Eric develops a new niffty Billit rear hub that supports the e-brake
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=EricJ@AMS;7775162]I predict many rear wheels flying off Evo's during 1:30 minute races.[/QUOTE

What concern do you have, wheel bearings? We run season after season on the bearings. I would think the front bearings and outer cv joints would be heated by the brake temperatures and be of more concern. Rears have 2/3rds the weight load and less heat from the brakes.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:47 AM
Evolving Member

so aside from these endurance races, how much are NASA HPDE events? I've been trying to find a group in the northeast that I might see evos at
Old Dec 8, 2009, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
[QUOTE=apex electric;7778051]
Originally Posted by EricJ@AMS
I predict many rear wheels flying off Evo's during 1:30 minute races.[/QUOTE

What concern do you have, wheel bearings? We run season after season on the bearings. I would think the front bearings and outer cv joints would be heated by the brake temperatures and be of more concern. Rears have 2/3rds the weight load and less heat from the brakes.
He's refering to Marty's evo that broke the rear left? hub at the runoff's.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Very cool. I will definitely come out to spectate.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

I am not concerned about the car lasting the 1 1/2 hours as much as the driver! My goal is to keep working hard on electrical construction jobs, hike, kayak and exercise as much as possible. I did that this passed summer and lost 25 lbs by the time I drove at Watkins Glen. Even with that I did not eat properly in preparation before the event and payed the price on Saturday's race. Problem was not having enough time because we worked non stop on the car for 8 days before the event. I focused on the car and not the driver just before the races. I was just talking with a friend who use to race Formula Mazda. He saw a interview with Charlie Rose and Jimmie Johnson after he won the NASCAR championship. He said he looks forward to the race day because it is the easiest day of his week. Every day he trains his body to withstand the rigors of his races. That's his job all week, every week. I'm 44 years old and I will do what I can within my own abilities to compete this summer in NASA super touring. I am trying to inspire other Evolution racers to enter the series. Yea its not cheap to run a car with this potential. I have sacrificed much to attain the experience through the years to drive at this level. If I can do it within my limited budget then none of you have any excuses! I could not afford a Voltex body kit, so we made our own out of raw fiberglass and foam. I pick a affordable number of events to run. I could make 3 times as many events if I raced a Honda or Miata, but that is not what I'm about. I want to brake through the my physical limitations of racing on dry asphalt to the performance I have driving on a wet track. Nobody has ever beat me in the wet. I now have the car I need to put on a show for everyone. I want competition! Jr. Depaula (black Sti)is a fantastic racer that I am sure will not let me down. Why there is not a full AWD series is baffling to me. We have had plenty of years for cars to be built and drivers to have experience road racing them. I helped organize and start the BMW club race series using my old 1970 BMW 2002 race car in the early 90's. Look were that series is today! There is no excuse for there to not be a race series with all Subaru's and Mitsubishi race cars in this country. Racing in America is more affordable than any other country in the world! Heck with the economy, my chips are pushed into the center of the table. I'm going racing with my evolution, anyone care to follow?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 05:08 PM
Former Sponsor

The rear hubs like to sheer off right at the point where the outer bearing is pressed onto it. Every SCCA T2 car we work on has a trunk full of rear hub assemblies with 3-4 races on them. They dare not push them any further than that.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Eric I will discuss this with my mechanic/car builder.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EricJ@AMS
The rear hubs like to sheer off right at the point where the outer bearing is pressed onto it. Every SCCA T2 car we work on has a trunk full of rear hub assemblies with 3-4 races on them. They dare not push them any further than that.
So they swap in new ones every 3-4 races? I had no idea. Mine have lasted much longer than 3-4 races. Ill know better once the 2010 season ends, but that still seems pretty excessive to me.

Quick Reply: Endurance racing coming for Evolutions