Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Rule change: Tires

Almost official rule change: qualy tires used in Q3 must be used on starting grid. Presumably if rain/wet track on race day will allow for rain tires...probably this will be allowed. Also, two tire change is still mandatory BUT anyone can come in more than just the two tire changes vis., three. This means a team could go for broke by using faster soft tires later in the race with low fuel to make up ground on those trying to last on the hard tires. Qualy also becomes more interesting: run on soft with no fuel to get pole position but struggle to keep tires running with full fuel load in first stint or go with prime/long lasting tires yeilding poorer grid position but gaining longer run with full fuel in first stint. This will make for some sweaty palms until the best strategy is defined following the first few races.

Later, Ken
Old Jan 27, 2010, 04:29 AM
Evolved Member

2nd driver for Renault

It looks like Vitaly Petrov will be the second driver for Renault next to Kubica. I think I read, some where, he brought $6mil with him...looks like Renault needed the bucks despite their claims to the contrary.

Later, Ken
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KPerez
Almost official rule change: qualy tires used in Q3 must be used on starting grid. Presumably if rain/wet track on race day will allow for rain tires...probably this will be allowed. Also, two tire change is still mandatory BUT anyone can come in more than just the two tire changes vis., three. This means a team could go for broke by using faster soft tires later in the race with low fuel to make up ground on those trying to last on the hard tires. Qualy also becomes more interesting: run on soft with no fuel to get pole position but struggle to keep tires running with full fuel load in first stint or go with prime/long lasting tires yeilding poorer grid position but gaining longer run with full fuel in first stint. This will make for some sweaty palms until the best strategy is defined following the first few races.

Later, Ken
Wow, if they do have to run Q3 tires at the start of the race, then that definitely changes the game. If any team can run considerably longer stints on the soft tire under heavy fuel loads, then they will have an even greater advantage under that rule. Imagine Brawn last year under that rule. Easiest car on tires with the engine that provides top tier mileage. I think Jenson would have even wrapped up the championship a lot sooner, since he wouldn't have suffered as much in the European tour mid-season when they couldn't get heat in the tires. Uh oh...conspiracy theory...what would F1 love to have happen more than Mr. Schumacher come back and win his 8th championship?!?! Think of the dollars rolling in if they can find a way to help his team/car gain an advantage, whether he needs it or not. It's like the Brady rule in the NFL. They make money when the stars are on the field performing at their best, so lets make a rule that helps to ensure they do that. Or maybe I'm too cynical.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Later, Ken
Wow, the first few races of this season are going to be crazy
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:12 AM
Former Sponsor

It looks like Vitaly Petrov will be the second driver for Renault next to Kubica. I think I read, some where, he brought $6mil with him...looks like Renault needed the bucks despite their claims to the contrary.

Later, Ken
Is there anyone left in gp2 this season? Seems like everyone that scored a point last year has an f1 ride now.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Later, Ken

So I presume if you don't make it to Q3 you get fresh tires? Seems like more gimmicks to create passing instead of just getting rid of the stupid diffuser which nullified all of 2009's rule and body changes.

These people are pretty comical. Can't make a decent set of rules for anything. Now one of the most exciting parts of F1 (Fuel Stops) has been reduced to stop and go in the pits.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bluestreak
So I presume if you don't make it to Q3 you get fresh tires? Seems like more gimmicks to create passing instead of just getting rid of the stupid diffuser which nullified all of 2009's rule and body changes.

These people are pretty comical. Can't make a decent set of rules for anything. Now one of the most exciting parts of F1 (Fuel Stops) has been reduced to stop and go in the pits.
I agree with most of your point, but if they could not make up for the rule changes with the diffuser they would make it up some other way. Its evolution find a way to over come the rules or get left behind.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Rational for precluding fuel stops

The elimination of fuel stops was, supposedly, FIA's attempt to reduce the risk of fire in the pit. Remember what happened to Massa in the Philipines last year; they do not want a repeat of that in '10'. There have been some close calls over the years and yet no one has fried to date although there were some close calls. At first glance it appears to be a good safety move. That said, the chance of rupturing the fuel tank increases during offs which result in impacts/collisions due to the larger full tanks with the potential for larger fire/explosion. I do not know which is more risky to the drivers...we will be witnesses to this "experiment" in '10'.

Later, Ken
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:11 AM
Former Sponsor

The elimination of fuel stops was, supposedly, FIA's attempt to reduce the risk of fire in the pit. Remember what happened to Massa in the Philipines last year; they do not want a repeat of that in '10'. There have been some close calls over the years and yet no one has fried to date although there were some close calls. At first glance it appears to be a good safety move. That said, the chance of rupturing the fuel tank increases during offs which result in impacts/collisions due to the larger full tanks with the potential for larger fire/explosion. I do not know which is more risky to the drivers...we will be witnesses to this "experiment" in '10'.

Later, Ken

I think one of the factors that came to play was how much the fuel fillers (not the guy filling) were costing each team and last year it seemed like more then every cars were trying to drive off still hooked up to the fuel filler.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Or (gasp) have other designers than Tilke design a race track...... An amazing thing happens when competition is introduced.... but I dream of a series not overlorded by mein kampf Ecclestone

I'm all for the cool luxury boxes and pretty runoff areas. But i'm also into the new racing tracks being built for MODERN F1 cars.

The face of villainy
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:18 AM
Former Sponsor

but he is such a handsome man
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluestreak
Yes, these tire changes are being made to make the slower teams move closer to the front and be more competitive. They do not want two teams like McLaren and Ferrari running away from the field yeilding a two team competition as was the case in recent history. However, this strategy may have some dire consequences: By bringing the field together through rules/equipment vulnerabilites may increase the frequency of crashes because the slower teams usually have either slower &/or younger inexperienced drivers mixing it up with the "big" boys up front. I hope I am wrong....don't want to have pile ups a la NASCAR in F1.

Later, Ken
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

^ Wasnt it Brawn that at the start of last year had exactly zero replacement front wings?

Rubino and Jens went an amazing 4 races with the same front-ends without incident.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan.Kauz
^ Wasnt it Brawn that at the start of last year had exactly zero replacement front wings?

Rubino and Jens went an amazing 4 races with the same front-ends without incident.
Just another advantage of running at the front for the whole race.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Billy@EnglishRacing
I know that he has one due to the fact that he has been i test driver in the past.

But the FIA has kept blocking Loabs path to one.
Yeah, heaven forbid F1 aces might get shown up by a mere rally driver.

l8r)

Quick Reply: Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1