Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jid2
How is it that BMW is gone, they use Ferrari engines and people still call them BMW sauber? Even on the F1 website.
Good question. They are "BMW Sauber-Ferrari" though, so my best guess is that they are still involved with the team in enough of a fashion to still have them in the name of the team. Probably just funding like what Honda did for Brawn last year when they pulled out. Honda just didn't require their name to still be in the team name like BMW appears to have done.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

How is it that BMW is gone, they use Ferrari engines and people still call them BMW sauber? Even on the F1 website.
That was the name registered with the FIA, apparently he (Peter) doesn't plan on changing it either. If they do have a good car, which it appears they do, thats great for BMW, free publicity.

Didn't realize they were using Ferrari power, glad to see its not a cosworth.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GG06MR
Top 5 drivers in their first full season right?

Actually, I was pretty impressed with his limited performance late last season, but I just don't see him finishing that high in the points this year. There are 8 really good drivers in what should be noticeably better cars than what he will have to work with this year, so even if he's great, he's going to be bringing a water pistol to a gun fight....so to speak. For example, it's not like McLaren has a subpar driver like Kovalainen, or Mercedes has an aging Barrichello, or Ferrari has an unmotivated Raikkonen. Those teams have retooled and solidified their driver lineups to equal that of Red Bull, and all four teams are just going to be too strong this year. Which will be at the top of the hill at the end I do not know, but it's without a doubt going to be one of them.
Since when did RedBull's driver line up become the envy of everyone? Weber went over 200 GP's before his first win. Hardly call that a strong line-up, granted he's not the slowest guy in the field but come on man...
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wasnt the point in keeping the name (BMW Sauber) that they dont have to re-qualify for the spot on the grid, and are therefore eligible to receive revenue from the FIA as they are a continuation of the previous team?
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
Since when did RedBull's driver line up become the envy of everyone? Weber went over 200 GP's before his first win. Hardly call that a strong line-up, granted he's not the slowest guy in the field but come on man...
I'm not a huge Mark Webber fan either, and I don't think for a second that Red Bull's driver line-up is the envy of everyone, but no other team last year had as close of a driver battle as Red Bull did. Even though they didn't win either of the championships, it was really the most complete lineup last year....at least in my opinion. Like I mentioned before: 1) Kovalainen sucked, so McLaren replaced him with the reighning world champion. 2) Kimi was once again unmotivated, so Ferrari replaced him with a 2 time world champion. 3) Button and Barrichello are true #2 drivers, so Mercedes replaced them with a 7 time world champion and Rosberg, who has outperformed every teammate he's driven with. In other words, all three teams completely resolved their weaknesses with regard to their driver line-ups to at least being equal to that of Red Bull's.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Top five drivers for F1 2010 season

Since there is no blood on the line, I am going to really stick the neck out here further and make some predictions for 2010.
Ferrari's drivers will be there along with Vettel, that's three of them; for the rest I do not see Kovi, Weber and Rubens doing anything; same for all of the new drivers. If Kubica can get a decent car under him, he will be a contender for the top five but I do not think that is going to happen. The same applies for Hamilton but he, as opposed to Kubica, will have a competitive car by the time of the first race or sometime thereafter; Button and Schumi are a no and will not make it to the top five. The remaining position for fifth spot is Kobay IMO......U heard if here first.....my palms are sweating already!
How about it guys: Step up and make UR predictions in front of God and country and then let the chips fall where they may.

Later, Ken
Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Unofficial Times

1 Alonso Ferrari 1:11.599 29 laps
2 de la Rosa Sauber 1:12.094 21 laps
3 Schumacher Mercedes 1:12.438 30 laps
4 Alguersuari Toro Rosso 1:12.576 37 laps
5 Button McLaren 1:13.498 +1.899 14 laps
6 Petrov Renault 1:14.009 +2.410 47 laps
7 Hulkenberg Williams 1:14.121 26 laps
Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
How about it guys: Step up and make UR predictions in front of God and country and then let the chips fall where they may.

Later, Ken
Didn't we already do that a few weeks ago? haha
Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Peter Sauber addressed this. From what I understand, they didn't have time to make the name change and make the grid this year, or something. BMW has nothing to do with the team. I don't really get it either.

If they do well, BMW has a pretty sweet free publicity deal going.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GG06MR
Didn't we already do that a few weeks ago? haha

But this time its after a few teams have tested. as i see it.

Alanso
massa
vettal
MS
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ferrari seems to have their "S" together this year.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Billy@EnglishRacing
But this time its after a few teams have tested. as i see it.

Alanso
massa
vettal
MS
In that case I pick Massa, Alonso, Kobayashi, De la Rosa, Schumacher, and then Hamilton. Ok, not really. Your list looks pretty good though if Ferrari lives up to the 1st round of testing, but I'm just not ready to change my picks yet.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 01:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Im all reality im not ready to make mine ether, still need to wait and see how the red bulls stack up, The second tests should show alot.

With time running out and the first race coming very soon, i am really starting to wonder about the usf1 cars
Old Feb 3, 2010, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Billy, U have picked 4..and UR fifth is?

Later, Ken
Old Feb 3, 2010, 01:34 PM
Former Sponsor

even though i hate him i will go with LH

Quick Reply: Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1