Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2010, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Oh i'm in too! Dibs on test driver...or in this case crash test dummy!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US F1 soap opera update:

German: http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/n..._10022307.html

Google translated: http://translate.google.com/translat...ml&sl=de&tl=en

Sounds like they need to get Ken Anderson the **** outta there and reboot the whole program for 2011.

Sign me up as the PR guy for EvoM F1 - or crash test dummy #2.

l8r)
Old Feb 24, 2010, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wanna be in charge of the hospitality paddock...
Old Feb 24, 2010, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

FIA team&drivers for 2010: Mistake or cloak and dagger approach?

The omission of Sauber's BMW team in FIA's current list (http://www.crash.net/f1/news/157121/...rom_entry.html) is the indirect method by which seniority numbering will take place with Campos Meta and Stefan GP filling up the rear with USF1's exit.

Later, Ken
Old Feb 24, 2010, 02:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Is anyone going to set up a fantasy league like last year?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:01 PM

We all know Kimi is an excellent driver. Trick is if he can adapt to much more varied variables, esp. grip level, quickly in his first year. He will need to be able to adapt quickly to build his confidence, and thus push harder, while still being consistent enough to finish well up the order.
USF1 is done! Very sad for us hopeful Americans. Still, 2010 looks to be an entertaining year!
Old Feb 26, 2010, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

Politics of bottom end of grid

With the apparent demise of USF1, questions have been raised as to the delay in accepting Stefan GP, U recall, the "Serbian Vultures" a la Ferrari speak, as an official F1 team. There are two apparent glitches: First, it may be necessary to have concensus from all the existing teams for any new entry which could be tricky given Ferrari's, shall I say, "concerns". Second, there are legal issues as well dating back to the process by which new teams could enter F1 in 2009. Specifically, "...USF1, Campos, Virgin and later Lotus were granted their entries after a process of application and due diligence performed by the FIA, and with just two weeks until Friday practice begins in Bahrain, granting Stefan GP an entry for 2010 would have to be fast-tracked. This would likely cause complaints from the teams initially turned down by the FIA, some of which have threatened legal action over the initial process. "

Initially I thought these new teams were accepted into F1 based upon a high likelyhood of success. But it appears that these expectations were wrong...poor management, finances and general preparedness were/are lacking and these teams, even if they actually show up, will be at the back...way back of the grid and may have trouble even finishing the majority of the races.

Bottom Line: The method by which new teams are chosen by the FIA must be improved in the future.

Later, Ken
Old Feb 26, 2010, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

Tires and aero stuff

In this last testing session at Barcelona, significant graining even in the soft (not super soft) tire is a real concern to all the teams especially in the rear. One of the compensations that will be used this year will be changing the downforce at the front using the adjustable wings; these were rarely used last year but could be quite significant this year if they can reduce tire wear for the longer stints.

It appears that all the teams have been fiddling with aero parts to improve time but also probably to reduce tire wear. What is particularly interesting is Braun stated yesterday that their final rear diffuser will not be revealed until Bahrain...keeping the cards close to the vest eh Ross? In addition, according to one source, the chassis used this week is the third one being tested by Ferrari....yup, the teams are really saving money with the current "funding restrictions".

Later, Ken

Last edited by KPerez; Feb 26, 2010 at 04:36 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

^^^ No kidding. Anything they've saved with all of the rules to reduce money spent on building and developing engines, wind tunnel time, pre-season testing time, etc. is all going to be spent elsewhere to compensate for it, especially at Ferrari. Bernie creates rules to slow down the cars every year, and every year the engineers come up with creative new ways to overcome those rules and run nearly as quick times as they ran the previous year. I for one can't wait to see how they do it again this year....expense be damned.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, it is true the FIA as well as other racing venues have attempted to slow the cars down by imposing changes in the regulations. Example is Nastycar with restrictor plates and the like. And yet they still are able to squeeze out more speed although it is noteworthy that some F1 track records of old still stand. Squeezing out more with less is the nature of car racing and likely never change. However, the imposition of the current "funding restrictions" was to decrease the gap between those teams with factory backing, e.g., Ferrari relative to those w/o...sort of like the NFL which is somewhat successful e.g., the Patriots (biased example, I agree). Heretofore F1 races were usually confined to a fight between two teams, Ferrari and McLaren with the other teams being completely out of it. This year the maximum differences will still be as great ALthough it appears that there will more teams at the top compeating...perhaps four or five teams as opposed to two or three. Whether this has been due to these new "funding restrictions" or just more teams pouring more money into their cars developement over the last year or two is difficult to determine. To be successful, the funding caps have to be further reduced IMHO.

Later, Ken

Last edited by KPerez; Feb 26, 2010 at 06:03 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
Yes, it is true the FIA as well as other racing venues have attempted to slow the cars down by imposing changes in the regulations. Example is Nastycar with restrictor plates and the like. And yet they still are able to squeeze out more speed although it is noteworthy that some F1 track records of old still stand. Squeezing out more with less is the nature of car racing and likely never change. However, the imposition of the current "funding restrictions" was to decrease the gap between those teams with factory backing, e.g., Ferrari relative to those w/o...sort of like the NFL which is somewhat successful e.g., the Patriots (biased example, I agree). Heretofore F1 races were usually confined to a fight between two teams, Ferrari and McLaren with the other teams being completely out of it. This year the maximum differences will still be as great ALthough it appears that there will more teams at the top compeating...perhaps four or five teams as opposed to two or three. Whether this has been due to these new "funding restrictions" or just more teams pouring more money into their cars developement over the last year or two is difficult to determine. To be successful, the funding caps have to be further reduced IMHO.

Later, Ken
I agree with a "spending cap" of sorts for F1, but not something too restrictive. I'd like to see something like, in 2010 no team can spend more than X amount, and each following year the cap would grow by 5%. A "spending floor" would be a higher priority to me though. If you cap F1 spending to say $300M, then no team should be allowed entry into the sport if unwilling or unable to spend at least $100M(arbitrary number), or maybe a certain minimum percentage compared to the cap, since it's not beneficial to the sport to have completely uncompetitive cars out on the track. All they do is water down the "show", increase the likelihood of accidents, and hinder pass attempts when the lead cars are lapping them.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

So....Webber says that their car in Barcelona is pretty much what they'll be running in Bahrain, and Rosberg says that the Mercedes will be "almost like a new car". Any bets that the changes are due to Schumacher's "input"? I'm getting the sense that Schumacher just might prove that he still has it.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gg06mr
i agree with a "spending cap" of sorts for f1, but not something too restrictive. I'd like to see something like, in 2010 no team can spend more than x amount, and each following year the cap would grow by 5%. A "spending floor" would be a higher priority to me though. If you cap f1 spending to say $300m, then no team should be allowed entry into the sport if unwilling or unable to spend at least $100m(arbitrary number), or maybe a certain minimum percentage compared to the cap, since it's not beneficial to the sport to have completely uncompetitive cars out on the track. All they do is water down the "show", increase the likelihood of accidents, and hinder pass attempts when the lead cars are lapping them.
+1
Old Feb 26, 2010, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GG06MR
So....Webber says that their car in Barcelona is pretty much what they'll be running in Bahrain, and Rosberg says that the Mercedes will be "almost like a new car". Any bets that the changes are due to Schumacher's "input"? I'm getting the sense that Schumacher just might prove that he still has it.
I think they are all trying to psych each other out and they will always be adding new components at every new race. They hope the Braun car will be "new" and blow everybody away but we and they will only know after qualy and well into Bahrain if they did, in fact, get it right. I do think it is significant that the entire double diffuser of Braun will be replaced at Bahrain. Why the cloak and dagger? Because they do not want it to be copied before then from the current testing in Jarez and Barcilona. They are all very good at copying one another...recall how fast Ferrari and McLaren caught up to Braun last year as the season progressed and the changes were add ons, not ground up developments.

Later, Ken

Last edited by KPerez; Feb 26, 2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
I think they are all trying to psych each other out and they will always be adding new components at every new race. They hope the Braun car will be "new" and blow everybody away but we and they will only know after qualy and well into Bahrain if they did, in fact, get it right. I do think it is significant that the entire double diffuser of Braun will be replaced at Bahrain. Why the cloak and dagger? Because they do not want it to be copied before then from the current testing in Jarez and Barcilona. They are all very good at copying one another...recall how fast Ferrari and McLaren caught up to Braun last year as the season progressed and the changes were add ons, not ground up developments.

Later, Ken
Very true. You're right that it's all a guessing game until the final results are in at Bahrain. I suppose I've just become a real believer in Ross B. If his driver's are talking big, then odds are good that they're going to live up to the hype, or at least be running towards the front of the grid. We'll see though.

Quick Reply: Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1