Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2010, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? important is $$ to driver selection

Answer: very important. Case in point, Campos Meta 1. They have signed Senna and were strongly considering Lopez, since he has "defected" from the sinking USF1. As U recall he brings with him $8mil with endorcements, the government of Argentina being the biggest. However, all that appears to have disappeared for Campus was said to be now looking at an Indian driver, Karun Chandhok. Specifically,“We have been very impressed with Karun's performance in GP2 and are close to finalising a deal with him....India is a great country, and it would be great for the sport to have an Indian driver on the grid. However, we will be in a better position to comment on this over the next few days." Translation: We want to see how much $$ he can bring to the table. Apparently the figure is >$8mil that Lopez can bring. But U say Chandhok is a better driver and that is why he got picked over Lopez. While this may be true, my bet is he is bringing more money than Lopez. Clearly though Chandhok is no shinning star for if he was Force India would have gobbled him up.
Bottom Line: For those teams strapped for $$ (Campos, Stefan, USF1 although gone), a driver will be signed on, not for his driving prowess, but rather how much $$ he brings with him.

Later, Ken
Old Feb 26, 2010, 02:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Karun Chandhok in my opinion is a much much much better driver then Lopez could ever hope to be
Old Feb 26, 2010, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

American Eagle and Serbian Vultures Unite?

Well desperation from two partys can sometimes result in the two getting together; the latest: USF1 and Stefan merge?!
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/9681.html
If this happens, then Lopez may be seated here with Villenuve out; I do not think Jacque has the bucks Lopez has.

Later , Ken
Old Feb 26, 2010, 06:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Really is the only good solution
Old Feb 26, 2010, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^^ Agreed. If this is a legit opportunity, then Peter and Ken need to suck it up and make it happen. Better to get the help and race than not race at all.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 07:26 PM
Former Sponsor

They just don't want there names out of the picture
Old Feb 26, 2010, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by newevil
Haha flesh wound more like the team has been secretly kidnapped and executed by Stefan gp
^^ and to quote myself^^
Old Feb 26, 2010, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

anyone else miss v10s. I think the glory days ended with shumachers first retirement even though I actually stopped watching really when mika retired and he started winning everything (mikas the best finn driver in my opnion hed put kimi to shame but i guess thats like compairing mohammad ali to mike tyson)
Old Feb 26, 2010, 07:54 PM
Former Sponsor

But none of them could hold a candle to Senna
Old Feb 26, 2010, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Billy@EnglishRacing
But none of them could hold a candle to Senna
ahh so true
Old Feb 27, 2010, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

^^ and to quote myself^^
Yes,UR words are prophetic....credit where credit is due.

Later, Ken
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

anyone else miss v10s. I think the glory days ended with shumachers first retirement even though I actually stopped watching really when mika retired and he started winning everything (mikas the best finn driver in my opnion hed put kimi to shame but i guess thats like compairing mohammad ali to mike tyson)
In retrospect 2005 car design with 3 liter V10 and tire "management" (bonus schumi's Bridgestones not usually a factor~got to see how he dealt with adversity, with exception of Indy "race") and the quixotic single car qualifying seemed a good(although unloved by most), if peculiar fit for F-1.~got to see every driver's qualifying attempt. Kimi & Fernando's battle, JPM, MS, Renault so strong even Fisi won. The Kimi drive at Suzuka...
Old Feb 28, 2010, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

Update

Originally Posted by KPerez
Well desperation from two partys can sometimes result in the two getting together; the latest: USF1 and Stefan merge?!
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/9681.html
If this happens, then Lopez may be seated here with Villenuve out; I do not think Jacque has the bucks Lopez has.

Later , Ken
Well, it now appears that the potential merger is off: "Stefanovic has also revealed that he had discussed a merger with US F1 - which has a 2010 entry but has asked to miss the first four races as its programme is a long way behind schedule. He said these talks had now collapsed despite positive approaches from US F1 investor Chad Hurley."

Later, Ken
Old Mar 1, 2010, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

The Dark Side of FIA

The following is must reading for it points to the facts regarding the current grid for the '10' F1 season and explains the debacle of the current new teams including USF1's latest request to cancel the '10' season but keep their slot open for '11' season! A return to the "evolutionary principles" of the past seem a more reasonable approach than FIA current "selection process".
http://www.vivaf1.com/blog/?p=2807&sms_ss=twitter

Later, Ken
Old Mar 1, 2010, 05:12 AM
Evolving Member

USF1 should be forced to sell their entry...... Period. How do they expect to run anything for a whole season into next season with no sponsors? I think Prodrive and Eskaudi should be allowed entries as well if they can show competence. 30 car grid is not too bad, it will shake things up with qualifying and more cars on the track putting faster cars further back on the grid if they can't get a good lap in.

I'm sick of USF1 at this point.

Quick Reply: Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1