Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GG06MR
Interesting. Do you think they'd be better off with Hulkenberg instead of maybe Kimi? Guess it depends on how impressive, or maybe unimpressive, that Hulkenberg drives this year.
I dont believe that Red Bull has the budget for Kimi, nor do they tollerate drivers who arent committed to driving. (Read: Scott Speed, Viantonio Liutzi or however you spell it)

Imagine if you will, a young driver lineup of Vettel and the Hulk (if he pans out with a year of experience, crashing other peoples cars for a year).

Minimal contract dollars due to age, and a frightening driver lineup! Neither are superior drivers for car setup, but with the extra $$$ in the coffers from contracts, they can re-invest that into the technical side.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan.Kauz
I dont believe that Red Bull has the budget for Kimi, nor do they tollerate drivers who arent committed to driving. (Read: Scott Speed, Viantonio Liutzi or however you spell it)

Imagine if you will, a young driver lineup of Vettel and the Hulk (if he pans out with a year of experience, crashing other peoples cars for a year).

Minimal contract dollars due to age, and a frightening driver lineup! Neither are superior drivers for car setup, but with the extra $$$ in the coffers from contracts, they can re-invest that into the technical side.
I'm not too sure that Horner and Newey even need much driver feedback to make a quick car after what they did last year with Vettel and Webber. But yeah, if Hulkenberg lives up to the hype, Red Bull could have a ridiculously good and young driver lineup.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ryan.Kauz
Red Bull has the budget for Kimi.... you are forgetting that he his driving for them this year, just in there WRC car not there F1 car
Old Mar 10, 2010, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Billy@EnglishRacing
Red Bull has the budget for Kimi.... you are forgetting that he his driving for them this year, just in there WRC car not there F1 car
Personally I highly doubt that both motorsports are under the same macro-economic-budget-umbrella. Most likely the F1 team has a entirely seperate and independant budget than their WRC operations.

The closest I can find is the following, but remember that he will get approximately $21M from Ferrari which would estimate his WRC salary as $9M. Nowhere near the $20M he demanded from F1 teams prior to his change in driving diciplines.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20091204/F1/912049998
Old Mar 11, 2010, 04:13 AM
Evolved Member

Odds for Bahrain: Winner

Everyone has an opinion for who will be the winner at Bahrain. But opinions are like as**holes...everyone has one. So I found the odds for the above for UR viewing pleasure:
Fernando Alonso 5-2.
Fellipe Massa 7-1.
Jenson Button 12-1.
Lewis Hamilton 4-1.
Sebastian Vettle 9-2.
Michael Schumacher 7-1.
Mark Webber 12-1.
Nico Rosberg 15-1.
Kamui Kobayashi 50-1.
Ruben Barrichello 50-1
Robert Kubica 60-1.
Adrian Sutil 60-1.
Pedro De La Rosa 75-1.
Nico Hulkenberg 100-1.
Vitantonio Liuzzi 100-1.
Sebastian Buemi 500-1.
Jarno Trulli 500-1.
Timo Glock 500-1.
Heikki Kovalainen 500-1.
Field 100-1.

Later, Ken
Old Mar 11, 2010, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Uh-oh, F1 considering another team for 2011, that would put us at 26 cars.

Woof Woof.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 07:08 PM
Former Sponsor

You could make some money betting on Schumacher
Old Mar 12, 2010, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

From what I saw in the ten minutes of practice I could watch before I had to leave for work I'm not very impressed with the changes they made to the track. It looks too narrow and slow in the new section, making overtaking that much harder. When are they going to realize overtaking is what we want to see, not a parade.

Rosberg P1, Hami and Schu right behind him... can't wait to watch the rest of it when I get home.

F1 is back baby, yeah!
Old Mar 12, 2010, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
From what I saw in the ten minutes of practice I could watch before I had to leave for work I'm not very impressed with the changes they made to the track. It looks too narrow and slow in the new section, making overtaking that much harder. When are they going to realize overtaking is what we want to see, not a parade.

Rosberg P1, Hami and Schu right behind him... can't wait to watch the rest of it when I get home.

F1 is back baby, yeah!
Rosberg finished 1st in session 2, by over 4 tenths. Sounds like Mr. Brawn may have known what he was doing by not showing off the new "super diffuser" before this weekend.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Bahrain Track

There were some noteworthy observations after the first practice session today:
(1) tire wear was extreme; a lot of slag build up and major rubber tracking on the corners...I think this is due to the high fuel loads and it appears that the new compunds to enhance wear in the Bridgestones are not hacking it ,
(2) there is a series of bumps in turn 6 that is rediculous...the cars are actually very unsettled resulting in them getting airborn and twisting....this is in the new inner portion of the circuit added just this year...cannot believe Bahrain did not forsee this area as a problem prior to the race
and most importantly
(3) there was one if not two EVO X's at the entrance to the pit lane...I guess they went out earlier to get the best lap times for the day!

While Merc/Brawn and McLaren look good, the fuel loads were undetermined so it is difficult to actually assess who is quick; tomorrow in Qualy will tell the tail. Bottom Line: Tire wear is going to determine the winner at this race...and perhaps for the rest of the season.

Later, Ken
Old Mar 12, 2010, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
There were some noteworthy observations after the first practice session today:
(1) tire wear was extreme; a lot of slag build up and major rubber tracking on the corners...I think this is due to the high fuel loads and it appears that the new compunds to enhance wear in the Bridgestones are not hacking it ,
(2) there is a series of bumps in turn 6 that is rediculous...the cars are actually very unsettled resulting in them getting airborn and twisting....this is in the new inner portion of the circuit added just this year...cannot believe Bahrain did not forsee this area as a problem prior to the race
and most importantly
(3) there was one if not two EVO X's at the entrance to the pit lane...I guess they went out earlier to get the best lap times for the day!

While Merc/Brawn and McLaren look good, the fuel loads were undetermined so it is difficult to actually assess who is quick; tomorrow in Qualy will tell the tail. Bottom Line: Tire wear is going to determine the winner at this race...and perhaps for the rest of the season.

Later, Ken
This will be the story at every practice all year long...
Old Mar 12, 2010, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
When did they show that during the broadcast? I want to make sure I don't fast forward through it when I'm watching it tonight on the TiVo.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 08:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Haspanaia was 11 seconds down... that is just embarrassing. Lotus was still 5 seconds off the pace. These teams need to pick up the pace or quit, they are just a danger to real cars
Old Mar 12, 2010, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

^ Agreed!

Virgin, HRT, Lotus... they all stink so far.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
^ Agreed!

Virgin, HRT, Lotus... they all stink so far.
Puts into perspective just how bad USF1 would have been. Yay for all of these new teams taking up valuable track space.

They definitely need to pre-qualify these teams. If your 2010 qualifying time is not within X amount of seconds of the best qualifying time at that event, then you simply can't bring your car to the grid.

Quick Reply: Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1