Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2010, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NY Evolutionary
I think JPM would be a good choice, but I don't think he is the "American" that USF1 is looking for.
I'm sure you're right, but I think that they'd be smart to be more open minded about filling their driver lineup, at least until they can develop a competitive junior league to develop American drivers, with experienced drivers that have an F1 background from wherever they can get them. They're going to need all the help they can get with the in-season development of the car and relatively inexperienced "American" drivers are not going to be able to provide that anywhere near as well as the likes of Heidfeld or Montoya. If the Scott Speed experiment at Red Bull's junior team taught us anything, it's that giving an American driver an F1 seat because he's the best American driver is just an exercise in how not to win. That's like Ferrari not signing Alonso because they could fill Raikkonen's spot with Fisichella. If they(USF1) want to beat the best, then they(USF1) can't handicap themselves with subpar drivers, which we all know can and will make or break a team's championship hopes.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GG06MR
I'm sure you're right, but I think that they'd be smart to be more open minded about filling their driver lineup, at least until they can develop a competitive junior league to develop American drivers, with experienced drivers that have an F1 background from wherever they can get them. They're going to need all the help they can get with the in-season development of the car and relatively inexperienced "American" drivers are not going to be able to provide that anywhere near as well as the likes of Heidfeld or Montoya. If the Scott Speed experiment at Red Bull's junior team taught us anything, it's that giving an American driver an F1 seat because he's the best American driver is just an exercise in how not to win. That's like Ferrari not signing Alonso because they could fill Raikkonen's spot with Fisichella. If they(USF1) want to beat the best, then they(USF1) can't handicap themselves with subpar drivers, which we all know can and will make or break a team's championship hopes.
I agree 100%, but I think their whole intention is to have an American based team, with American drivers.
As far a Scott Speed is concerned, I think he got a raw deal, I believe he had the talent and the SPEED (pun intended) to be competitive but the equipment was just not there yet. I truly believe that if he was in the STR right now let alone the RBR he would shut some people up, but as they say timing IS everything, and we will never know
Old Jan 3, 2010, 06:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by donour
They were, a while ago. I applied with a "I'm-a-engineering-doctoral-student-super-geek. Willing to sweep floors" letter. No response.

d
no response?

man i applied with a simliar resume "masters-student/modeling+simulation-engineering-experience, willing to clean toilets", sent it to mclaren, BMW, toyota, honda, and if i remember red bull too, all of them send response letters like this " we are unfortunately not hiring in that area right now". maybe i should have said i will do the modeling and sim work and not clean toilets
Old Jan 4, 2010, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

I agree 100%, but I think their whole intention is to have an American based team, with American drivers.
That's my understanding as well, but if they're going to be stubborn about it and employ drivers that simply aren't ready for the job, then I give them less than 5 years before they're out of the sport.

As far a Scott Speed is concerned, I think he got a raw deal, I believe he had the talent and the SPEED (pun intended) to be competitive but the equipment was just not there yet. I truly believe that if he was in the STR right now let alone the RBR he would shut some people up, but as they say timing IS everything, and we will never know
You know, you very well may be right. It wasn't like he was ever outperformed by any of his Toro Rosso teammates when he was there. I think the one thing that really hurt him though were the number of offs that he had. You could tell that he was trying his hardest to get the most out of the car as possible, even with the car not having the speed to be competitive, but it doesn't matter how hard you push the car if you're consistently running it on the grass or putting it in the gravel traps. Team bosses tend to really frown on that kind of stuff.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Flavio's ban overturned

Will we see "mumbly-joe" roaming the F-1 world this year after all?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GT-One
Not for Renault. Haha.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GT-One

Hahahaha, I hope not!!! I can't stand the man! The original ban was for life! They just removed the life ban, but I believe there is still a ban of some sort in place, I doubt we will see him for awile.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 01:10 PM
Former Sponsor

I haven't been in the evom f1 thread for a little while and im to lazy to reread the last 2 months so i will just go on a little rant.

1. No fuel stops = lame. Street circuits are going to be pointless, watch qualifying then turn it off. Passing at those races will be nonexistent. The only hope we have is the new teams failing in spectacular fashion and taking out front runners.

2. MS's return. I am super excited! it will be hard cheering for the team though. At least i will still have an easy time hating Meclaren.

3. Button vs. Hamilton. Does anyone else smell a LH Vs. FA battle happening all over again? The only thing that might keep this from happening is that Button does not have anywhere near as much talent as Alonso does.

4. USF1... i don't see this going well at all. That is if they even can get there cars on the grid in time. We will know a lot in February when they take the cars out to Barber Motorsport Park in Alabama. If they do get on the grid i have a feeling that they will be way behind everyone else... the only chance they have of being close to anyone is to Lotus who also kind of seems like a big joke.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Mixed topic information

http://www.ircseries.com/html/readnews.asp?id=1432
Old Jan 11, 2010, 01:50 PM
Former Sponsor

woot! got my tickets to the australia GP 4 day pass on jones stand. a bit expensive, but if i'm flying to australia i'm not walking around people to find a good spot to see (general admission in indy i heard was the best though...)
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
woot! got my tickets to the australia GP 4 day pass on jones stand. a bit expensive, but if i'm flying to australia i'm not walking around people to find a good spot to see (general admission in indy i heard was the best though...)
Lucky bastard!

I sat at the end of the straight when I went to Indy in 03'. I wanted to go back in 07' for the last race and the plan was to sit in the infield, it just didn't happen.

Schumi's off testing a GP2 car today, hopefully that neck it ready to go.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

This is going to be a good year. McLaren all the WAY!!!
Old Jan 12, 2010, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I booked tickets to the Canadian race last week. There's 4-5 local SCCA guys going, grandstand 34. Anybody else?

d
Old Jan 12, 2010, 02:34 PM
Former Sponsor

I wish i could make it to a race this year

Lots of testing news today:

Red Bull will not make it to the first test and Usf1 has asked for 2 extra days of straight line testing. This coming after rumors that have not be verified that they might start there season at Spain.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
getting ready.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPgL0n1VOlw

Quick Reply: Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1