Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2010, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
it wasn't faster then webbers
Haha. It wouldn't surprise me if that was the truth.
Old May 21, 2010, 03:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monaco: Correction

Originally Posted by KPerez
...it is noteworthy that only Schumi attempted a pass...if it was unclear, how come all the other drivers did not do same, even the guys just starting this year held the line...but somehow the seven time winner was "confused"...no, this is the old Schumi we all know and "love".
Earlier I indicated that Schumi's move was typical of some of his past escapades but it has become clear now that I was wrong. Apparently both Schumi and Rosberg were told by Brawn to begin racing as soon as the safety car left the track. In short, they were told opposite to that of the other teams so Schumi was just following orders. I have no love for the guy but, in this case, he is faultless.

Later, Ken
Old May 21, 2010, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
Earlier I indicated that Schumi's move was typical of some of his past escapades but it has become clear now that I was wrong. Apparently both Schumi and Rosberg were told by Brawn to begin racing as soon as the safety car left the track. In short, they were told opposite to that of the other teams so Schumi was just following orders. I have no love for the guy but, in this case, he is faultless.

Later, Ken
A reasonable, but incomplete argument. Who was the team manager all the years that Schumacher was apparently "told" to be a ragind co ck head on track (assuming your argument is valid).....

That would be a Mr. Ross Brawn.

And now the argument is that Nico (known in F1 circles as a gentleman and "clean" racer) is also a peenas like Schumacher?

Perhaps the argument should be that Ross Brawn and Schumacher will do ANYTHING to win, and team up very nicely in their evil ways?
Old May 21, 2010, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan.Kauz
A reasonable, but incomplete argument. Who was the team manager all the years that Schumacher was apparently "told" to be a ragind co ck head on track (assuming your argument is valid).....

And now the argument is that Nico (known in F1 circles as a gentleman and "clean" racer) is also a peenas like Schumacher?

Perhaps the argument should be that Ross Brawn and Schumacher will do ANYTHING to win, and team up very nicely in their evil ways?
if you are racing and the team boss said "go on green" and you see green and the safety line which you passed what would you do?
Look up the rule book which is recently /this year / changed ??? And hesitate to not passing??? Besides the second car after Schumi try to pass too but he had no room.... So wasnt only Schumi who tried, but he was the one who did have a "success"...
Im mean i do understand you hate MS. But you dont have to be that much of the hater. Besides you should be dancing he got a huge penalty for this.

Last edited by Robevo RS; May 21, 2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old May 21, 2010, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Ryan.Kauz = EMO

j/k

l8r)
Old May 21, 2010, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Sometimes doing the right thing means going against orders.... Didnt we learn this in the treatment of prisioners in a humane way?

Schumacher has been driving since 1991 with 1 year away.

Ross Brawn, the "brain" behind the double difuser and a powerhouse behind pushing the envelope of regulations has been in F1 since 1978 and a technical director since 1991.

Where is a sound argument that these guys dont know the regs?

For the record, i'm not a Emo. I'm an accountant and auditor.... Which means being able to read, inperpret and enforce written policies/regulations. Something Ross Brawn can do far better than I.

This issue came up years ago with BAR Honda's Jenson Button. He's notorious for being a complete dunce on race re-starts after a safety car period. I think it was Suzuka where a hard charging Montoya passed him prior to the start/finish line following a safety car and Montoya was given a drive-through penalty. (Schumacher drove in this race.... which should give him more reason to understand the regs than Nico)

So i'm sorry that i've seen this rule enforced prior to this and dont see the "grey" area in a regulation spelled out so clearly as to be rediculous that it caused a controversy.
Old May 21, 2010, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ryan.Kauz

Ryan, U R attempting to equate Brawn and Schumi as "The Emperor" and "Darth Vader". I cannot agree especially in this case and think U have moved to far to the "dark side". The team boss gave instructions to pass and he did...they did not ( and U have no evidence to the contrary) jointly decide to disregard the reg's. I believe Brawn thought he had a point and exercised it. Now U feel he should have known the regs but clearly there was sufficient ambiguity there for the FIA has agreed (see my earlier post) and is going to make appropriate changes to prevent this from happening again. Bottom Line: Brawn made the interpretation and Schumi followed his instructions. A contrasting example of driver induced decision was when Schumi attempted to run Villenouve off the track to preclude same from winning the F1 championship...that decision was his and his alone. An example where both the driver and team bosses knew they were breaking the rules jointly was Breatore (sp?), Simonds and the young Renault driver (?)...they all knew what they were doing, that is was wrong but did it anyway.

Later, Ken
Old May 21, 2010, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

^Piquet.

Nice argument. i agree to the content, but just feel that Brawn has interpreted rules many times in the past that other teams would have been penalized for. And the many times when Schumacher could do no wrong on track including blocking, rubbing, forcing people off, etc.. I will need to see a trend to reverse the Brawn/Schumacher trend that has them firmly in the "dark side" of things.
Old May 24, 2010, 04:02 AM
Evolved Member

Update: 2011 Season

I know it is a bit early to think about next next year but many, if not all, of the teams R designing their new cars with KERS and w/o double diffusers...nothing new here but still up in the air are tires between Pirelli and Michelin with latter looking like the winner but with 13" as opposed to 18" AND this:
"...Pending the approval of the FIA, the bodywork ahead of the sidepods, and the flow aids under the chassis, are to disappear.
It is also expected that the front wings will be smaller, while the front-wing adjustors could be replaced by adjustable rear wings."

With regard to the last of these, this possible adjustment would actually be an operational replacement for the F-duct which all (FOTA) agreed to discontinue. The driver adjustable wing will be able to reduce and increase the rear downforce on the flats and corners, respectively. This is exactly what the great innovator from Texas, Jim Hall who put high mounted driver adjustable rear wings on his Chaparell 2F race car back in the 1960- 70's. These became a liability when some failed to operate and were eventually banned (adjustable); they may now be back but in F1!

Later, Ken

Correction: Pirelli looking to get the nod, not Michelin

Last edited by KPerez; May 25, 2010 at 03:48 AM.
Old May 24, 2010, 08:31 AM
Former Sponsor

fully automatic wings would be sweeeeeeeeet. none of this driver adjustable crap.

on the straights all the wings would be moved flat so no drag, and the second they hit the brakes or start turning the wings tilt up. under braking they can tilt max for air brakes. it would also allow drivers to adjust trims on the fly so that they aren't stuck an entire stint with an under/oversteering car going slow.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
fully automatic wings would be sweeeeeeeeet. none of this driver adjustable crap.

on the straights all the wings would be moved flat so no drag, and the second they hit the brakes or start turning the wings tilt up. under braking they can tilt max for air brakes. it would also allow drivers to adjust trims on the fly so that they aren't stuck an entire stint with an under/oversteering car going slow.
At what point do they just replace the driver with a GPS guided computer?

Oh yea, Audi's doing that at the Pike's Peak Hill climb this year...
Old May 25, 2010, 03:57 AM
Evolved Member

Safety Concerns for 2010 F1: Increased Fuel

At the beginning of the season, many were concerned over the rupturing of the twice as large fuel cell in the event of an accident. Well as it turns out the FIA did come through here by increasing the strength of the "survival cell" containg driver and fuel tank (http://www.vivaf1.com/blog/?p=3594).

Take a look at the high speed videos especially what the dummy goes through...I hope and trust the real drivers head is more restrained than the dummies...my neck hurts just watching these films!

Later, Ken
Old May 25, 2010, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Austin, TX Grand Prix for 2012!! Wow. Cool!!!

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...0/5/10824.html

l8r)
Old May 25, 2010, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTisRule
At what point do they just replace the driver with a GPS guided computer?

Oh yea, Audi's doing that at the Pike's Peak Hill climb this year...
humm did not know that wonder how far it will make it before it randomly flys off a cliff lol.

& finally f1 back in the us I havent really been keep that close track of that but I didnt even know texas was in the running.

Last edited by newevil; May 25, 2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old May 25, 2010, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Austin, TX Grand Prix for 2012!! Wow. Cool!!!

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...0/5/10824.html

l8r)
WOW!!! Best news ever!!!! I've spent years trying to figure out whether I was going to spend a buttload of money to go to Germany, Japan, Italy, or elsewhere to watch an F1 race in person, and now I get to simply drive 80 miles to attend an F1 race every year over a 10 year timespan. Woohoo!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1