Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2010, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ Yeah. One more reason for me to convince my wife to ditch Chi-town for Houston or Austin.

l8r)
Old May 25, 2010, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludikraut
^ Yeah. One more reason for me to convince my wife to ditch Chi-town for Houston or Austin.

l8r)
No offense to anyone from Houston, but I'd vote for Austin out of those two. Much nicer place, A LOT less humid, and you don't ever have to evacuate due to incoming hurricanes.
Old May 25, 2010, 12:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Sweeeeeeet local race!!!!!!
Old May 25, 2010, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't even know Austin was in the running...

Fantastic news for all us F1 fans, bout time they came back to the US.
Old May 25, 2010, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Last rumblings I heard was about Jersey. Guess that is out now...Texasas..yes!

Later, Ken
Old May 25, 2010, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very cool. I'm excited. Having lived there for a while, I always like going back.

Keep F1 Weird!

d
Old May 26, 2010, 03:30 AM
Evolved Member

Tire Supplier: 2011-2013

It is almost official, Pirelli will be the next tire supplier with 1 mil euro's each team will have to cough up. Three grades, soft, medium, and hard at 13" initially going to 18" probably in 2012.
Now, just speculation here, but after Pirelli drops out perhaps Goodyear will return in conjunction with F1 return to the US...just a thought.

Later, Ken
Old May 26, 2010, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Great News! At this point I'll take anywhere in the US .... yes even Texas (joke)
Old May 26, 2010, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
It is almost official, Pirelli will be the next tire supplier with 1 mil euro's each team will have to cough up. Three grades, soft, medium, and hard at 13" initially going to 18" probably in 2012.
Now, just speculation here, but after Pirelli drops out perhaps Goodyear will return in conjunction with F1 return to the US...just a thought.

Later, Ken
i thought the same about goodyear when i saw the news about texas. (jumpin in the delorian for a sec) I bet usf1 wouldnt have failed had it been named Anderson F1.(wish there was an angry fist shaking icon)
Old May 26, 2010, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

^ Actually, IMNSHO, USF1 would have had a much better chance of success if Anderson had not been involved at all.

l8r)
Old May 27, 2010, 04:10 AM
Evolved Member

Hurdles for Austin

Not to be a doubter here, but the F1 facility will cost ~$300m to build and be completed in two years. A tall order for, according to others, the biggest thing Full Throttle Productions has ever done are midget races. Hopefully they have some big bucks behind them or this is going to be another failure similar to USF1.

Later, Ken
Old May 27, 2010, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
Not to be a doubter here, but the F1 facility will cost ~$300m to build and be completed in two years. A tall order for, according to others, the biggest thing Full Throttle Productions has ever done are midget races. Hopefully they have some big bucks behind them or this is going to be another failure similar to USF1.

Later, Ken
I'd agree with you if it was really all up to Full Throttle Productions(FTP), but it's clearly not. For the State Governor, State Comptroller(Chief Steward of the State's Finances), and Mayor of Texas to all be quoted on the initial announcement for this event to be held in the State Capitol, then it's pretty obvious that FTP is simply the promoter on this, leaving the City of Austin and State of Texas to take care of building the track/facility, and our State isn't going to be short on funding. I say that because even though Rick Perry(Governor) was a BIG opponent to the Stimulus Bill, he eventually accepted $550M+ for the state(portion for job creation), and he states quite clearly in this letter to B.O. that he won't be using the money to expand existing government programs.........

"Dear Mr. President:

I’m writing you today in response to stipulations set forth in H.R. 1, the $787 billion stimulus package you signed into law yesterday. As you know, I have been vocal in my opposition to this legislation because I believe there are better ways to reinvigorate our economy and believe H.R. 1 will burden future generations with unprecedented levels of debt.

Throughout the years, Texas taxpayers have sent substantially more dollars to Washington than we receive on issues ranging from transportation to border security and hurricane relief. As I have said during the debate on H.R. 1, should Congress pass stimulus legislation using Texas tax dollars, I would work to ensure that our citizens receive their fair share.

On behalf of the people of Texas, please allow this letter to certify that we will accept the funds in H.R. 1 and use them to promote economic growth and create jobs in a fiscally responsible manner that is in the best interest of Texas taxpayers. I remain opposed to using these funds to expand existing government programs, burdening the state with ongoing expenditures long after the funding has dried up."

So......for Rick Perry to be quoted on the F1 site in the initial announcement giving credit to the state comptroller for bringing the event to the state, then I can only assume that he's supporting the project, and at least some of the $550M+ funding awarded to the state is going to be used to pay for construction of the facility in Austin........which will of course CREATE hundreds, if not thousands of jobs in and around the Austin area for at least the next two years, which is really one of the biggest reasons for the Stimulus Bill right?!

Last edited by GG06MR; May 27, 2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100526/F1/100529817

So the land has been purchased, utilities negotiated and approved, experienced F1 architect hired and planning to design a Silverstone-esque track, and the race is set to benefit from the Texas Major Events Trust Fund, which is "intended to reimburse cities for costs they face when hosting big sporting events."

Looks like I was wrong in my speculation before, as the track project is "financed by unknown private investors", and one of the key elements that helped generate funding is that "the circuit will be used to help develop alternative fuels". I was EXTREMELY skeptical about US F1, but I have serious faith that the US GP in Austin is going to happen.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GG06MR
which will of course CREATE hundreds, if not thousands of jobs in and around the Austin area for at least the next two years, which is really one of the biggest reasons for the Stimulus Bill right?!
You have no idea how this works do you? The jobs created by the stimulus spending are all white-collar positions which will work in spreading the debt service acrost the next century and hiding these massive new interest payments in new and exciting ways! (ie: more palatable to the average taxpayer)

Back on topic (and with less sarcasm): Its great to see North America get a race and my small group of F1 fans up here in Washington (the state, not the city) are very excited to make our first trips to the state of Texas and watch the race!
Old May 27, 2010, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Well, there goes my excitement.

"Veteran Formula One circuit designer Herrman Tilke will be responsible for the Austin F1 track, promoter Tavo Hellmund said on Wednesday night."

Quick Reply: Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1