Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2010, 04:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-duct: ? Install Delays

When McLaren came up with the F-duct or driver actuated wing stall at the start of the season, I thought all would hop on the bandwagon quickly to copy and some did. Sauber was one of the first (although with their dismal season it made no difference) and DelaRosa, coming from Mclaren earlier was probably the reason. But many of the others have been slow to install theirs, particularly Red Bull even though they had fabricated one well before the Canadian Grad Prix. Then I saw this from James Allen: The specific reason why they have chosen not to even bring it here [Canada] is that the rear wings are not very high downforce in the first place. Also its likely that they have been focussed on getting it to work on the kind of wing they use for 70% of the races, rather than waste resources on getting it to work on a Canada wing.
McLaren have gone to that effort and they have made a new Canada specification rear wing specifically to work with the F Duct.
There are some suggestions among engineers that taking this line of thinking to its conclusion, we might not see anyone using the F Duct in Monza. Although this sounds counter intuitive with straight line speed the order of the day, in fact the downforce levels are so minimal in the first place there is less need to shed drag."

So it appears that the teams w/o the F-duct have been using the practice sessions to test the efficacy of the duct for upcoming circuits that require higher downforce configurations.

Later, Ken
Old Jun 14, 2010, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can't believe there was no safety car, thats unheard of in Montreal...

All those tire changes were crazy, the first time all season when a tire wouldn't last the entire race, hardly last 15 laps for that matter... What was Schumi thinking trying to go half the race on the softs? That was never gonna happen, but I guess thats what you have to do when you blow through your hard tire allocation in the first 40 laps.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Wow... so no one has anything to say about this past weekends race?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 01:19 PM
Former Sponsor

BOOOO!!!! not a mclaren fan. don't like hamilton, didn't like the race cause he won. yes i am a sore loser.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

It was one of the better races to watch, that's for sure. I can't believe Mercedes and Schumacher botched their tire strategy as badly as they did. And of course, my wife and I's favorite moment of the race:

Vettel - "What's the fastest lap time?"
Engineer - "Don't even think about it!! ... Go slow"

There wasn't even a pause before his engineer replied. We laughed so hard. I was really bummed when Kobi crashed out - he made such a great start.

l8r)
Old Jun 15, 2010, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
"... I was really bummed when Kobi crashed out - he made such a great start."

l8r)
Did anybody see what actually happenned in that turn?...yes, Kobay ran the curb and got airborn into the wall but according to him Schumi braked really hard into this turn which caught up Hulk and Kobay with latter, in an avoidance move ran over to kurb and then out...but I am guessing here.

Later, Ken
Old Jun 15, 2010, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ludikraut
It was one of the better races to watch, that's for sure. I can't believe Mercedes and Schumacher botched their tire strategy as badly as they did. And of course, my wife and I's favorite moment of the race:

Vettel - "What's the fastest lap time?"
Engineer - "Don't even think about it!! ... Go slow"

There wasn't even a pause before his engineer replied. We laughed so hard. I was really bummed when Kobi crashed out - he made such a great start.

l8r)
+1

It was really fun to be there.

d
Old Jun 15, 2010, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Some of my 1500 shots from Grandstand 11 at Virage Senna.

AMAZING GP...qualifying was insane. I took all my pics on Friday so I could enjoy qualifying and the race with no equipment to worry about.

Enjoy!

Old Jun 16, 2010, 04:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
BOOOO!!!! not a mclaren fan. don't like hamilton, didn't like the race cause he won. yes i am a sore loser.
how can you not like Hamilton? I try to channel my inner Lewis before every race.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Love the pics avengerhed!

I really like the one of Schumi having to put all that wheel into it in the middle of the corner. Nice work.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 03:51 AM
Evolved Member

The fingers they R a pointing: Sauber

Looks like Sauber is at ropes end with this years disaster performance: http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/62...about-everyone .
Much of his concerns are valid especially the Ferarri engine which has been dismal in terms of reliability. That said, I think he is wrong dumping on his drivers (yes, I know I am biased) as one of the reasons for their lackluster performance. How can a driver get any confidence when he is unsure whether the car will even make it to the start line? And when U finally get there, U R thinking, What system will be the first to fail? I don't care who U R, this is not the kind of atmosphere that brings out the best driving. In addition, what is he talking about the C29 now being a lost cause. Wasn't he the one claiming that they had one of the best wind tunnel facilities and assoicated engineers? What are those guys doing....sitting on their hands? The car has been competitive. It is not the chassis...it is the reliability of the components that has been the problem...engine, hydraulic systems, wings falling off, etc. that is the cause for their current standings. So I have this recommendation for Mr. Sauber: Stop pointing fingers at others and get with program of improving what U got with the C29 and stick it to Ferrari until they can give U an engine that runs....Yeah I know...just venting.

Later, Ken
Old Jun 18, 2010, 03:16 AM
Evolved Member

Ferrari: Double standard

Some connections never go away. Take Schumi and Ferrari head, Montezemallo (sp?). Latter *****es and moans about "backmarkers" preventing Ferrari drivers from placing in the points because they are "GP2 performing cars" and then doesn't say a thing about his beloved Schumi's moves last weekend with one of his own drivers (http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=41135)!
I can't afford a Ferrari but even if I could, I wouldn't buy one because of this A-hole Montezemallo,

Later, Ken
Old Jun 18, 2010, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

How about this...

http://www.planet-f1.com/news/18227/...ds-super-softs

B-Stone looking into using the super-soft at the balance of races this year to spice up the show... Exactly what we need, more tire degredation... Anything to aid overtaking.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 01:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Great Pics avengerhed (Molsen)
Old Jun 18, 2010, 02:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by KPerez
Looks like Sauber is at ropes end with this years disaster performance: http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/62...about-everyone .
Much of his concerns are valid especially the Ferarri engine which has been dismal in terms of reliability. That said, I think he is wrong dumping on his drivers (yes, I know I am biased) as one of the reasons for their lackluster performance. How can a driver get any confidence when he is unsure whether the car will even make it to the start line? And when U finally get there, U R thinking, What system will be the first to fail? I don't care who U R, this is not the kind of atmosphere that brings out the best driving. In addition, what is he talking about the C29 now being a lost cause. Wasn't he the one claiming that they had one of the best wind tunnel facilities and assoicated engineers? What are those guys doing....sitting on their hands? The car has been competitive. It is not the chassis...it is the reliability of the components that has been the problem...engine, hydraulic systems, wings falling off, etc. that is the cause for their current standings. So I have this recommendation for Mr. Sauber: Stop pointing fingers at others and get with program of improving what U got with the C29 and stick it to Ferrari until they can give U an engine that runs....Yeah I know...just venting.

Later, Ken

i'm pretty sure the nut behind one of the wheels has failed on numerous occasions this season. kobe has been extremely disapointing... far to wreckless and it shows by all the accidents hes been in.

Quick Reply: Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1