Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A dangerous precedent the FIA has chosen to set with the Valencia Safety Car violations enforcement.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by GT-One
A dangerous precedent the FIA has chosen to set with the Valencia Safety Car violations enforcement.
yeah 5 seconds for not following safety regs is insane! and how about hamilton trying to trap alonso behind the safety car and then blowing past it after he crossed the white line.

for once ferrari actually follows the rules and everyone else gets away with braking them.

hamilton should have gotten a stop and go for passing the safety car.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jvb6806
yeah 5 seconds for not following safety regs is insane! and how about hamilton trying to trap alonso behind the safety car and then blowing past it after he crossed the white line.

for once ferrari actually follows the rules and everyone else gets away with braking them.

hamilton should have gotten a stop and go for passing the safety car.
Didn't he get a drive through for something I haven't seen the full race yet .clearly though buttons race engineers are doing a superb job he seems to come up from mid field in every race on strategy alone I think he started 7th and went to 3rd.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the way the safetycar thing was handled is somewhat suspect but what are you gonna do. Drive through's have always been handled a little funny in F1...

Glad Weber is ok, that was freakin scary.

Same ol Valencia.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 07:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by newevil
Didn't he get a drive through for something I haven't seen the full race yet

he did get a drive through penalty. but he was in second, with kobi following WAAAAY behind him holding everyone else up. so once he pulls in, drives through the pit lane, and exits, he had only lost 12-15 seconds and exited still in front of kobi. and with everyone unable to pass kobi, hamilton pulls away again with clear road.

this track is definately one of the worst for passing. but excellent result for vettel! webber got lucky he was unhurt!
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:22 PM

not one of my favorite circuits on the calendar, i was hoping with some of the faster cars in the back after the safety car there would be some passing.

best racing was the last lap for kobi, hell of a race for him.

i did about **** myself when webber hit the advertisement over the track, been a while since there was something that violent in F1 (thankfully). glad he is ok.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 03:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
he did get a drive through penalty. but he was in second, with kobi following WAAAAY behind him holding everyone else up. so once he pulls in, drives through the pit lane, and exits, he had only lost 12-15 seconds and exited still in front of kobi. and with everyone unable to pass kobi, hamilton pulls away again with clear road.

this track is definately one of the worst for passing. but excellent result for vettel! webber got lucky he was unhurt!
Noone is taking away Sauber's great results and Kobay...Banzai!...he was watching his tires since he had been on the primes since the start...Button had a superior car but yet chose to wait for Kobay to pit to move ahead...the conservative approach, of course, from Button..."holding everyone up"...was that before or after he got new rubber?...passing Alonso and Buemi...somebody in that race could pass and Kobay proved that...Alonso must have wet himself when Kobay passed him(http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=41270, ohh the crying is pityful)...yes, it was possible with their race strategy but U still have to be able to impliment it and Kobay was able to do same...yes, I am a little out it...Bonzai, Bonzai Ferrari!

Later, Ken
Old Jun 28, 2010, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
Noone is taking away Sauber's great results and Kobay...Banzai!...he was watching his tires since he had been on the primes since the start...Button had a superior car but yet chose to wait for Kobay to pit to move ahead...the conservative approach, of course, from Button..."holding everyone up"...was that before or after he got new rubber?...passing Alonso and Buemi...somebody in that race could pass and Kobay proved that...Alonso must have wet himself when Kobay passed him(http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=41270, ohh the crying is pityful)...yes, it was possible with their race strategy but U still have to be able to impliment it and Kobay was able to do same...yes, I am a little out it...Bonzai, Bonzai Ferrari!

Later, Ken
Button couldn't get past Kobay towards the end of last season when Kobay got his shot at Toyota, and he had a better car then too, so I think Button may know that Kobay has his number.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GG06MR
Button couldn't get past Kobay towards the end of last season when Kobay got his shot at Toyota, and he had a better car then too, so I think Button may know that Kobay has his number.
I almost think Button was too affraid to try anything as we've seen what happens people try to get by Kobi in the past... ie Brazil 09'. Button knows where he is in the standings, it was still gonna be a good result, just play it safe.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by grillpt
I almost think Button was too affraid to try anything as we've seen what happens people try to get by Kobi in the past... ie Brazil 09'. Button knows where he is in the standings, it was still gonna be a good result, just play it safe.
I kinda think the same thing, disaster always seems to strike when people try to pass Kobay. Either to the passing driver or to Kobay's car
Old Jun 28, 2010, 08:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by KPerez

Later, Ken

kobay definately had a great strategy for the race. knowing that passing is near impossible with cars that are semi equally matched, once he had to stop at the end for new tires he had far more grip then the other cars too.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Webber is quoted as saying that Heikki braked 80 meters earlier than Webber expected him to. Do you think that this is a case where Kovalainen was just cruising through the middle of the track, and then just didn't know what to do to get out of Webber's way? Watching the replay, it almost seemed like Heikki twitched left a split second before Webber decided to do the same thing, and then Webber twitched right to correct, and it was just too late because he was still accelerating and Heikki was clearly not. I'm not a big fan of Webber's, but I feel sorry for him, because he's doing everything he can to work his way up the field after his terrible start, pushing as hard as he can, and then bam he rearends a considerably slower car WAAAAYYYYY before the corner. Personally, I think this is a great example of why the 107% rule change is a good one for 2011. Get the rolling speed bumps out of the middle of the track!!!!
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Webber is quoted as saying that Heikki braked 80 meters earlier than Webber expected him to. Do you think that this is a case where Kovalainen was just cruising through the middle of the track, and then just didn't know what to do to get out of Webber's way? Watching the replay, it almost seemed like Heikki twitched left a split second before Webber decided to do the same thing, and then Webber twitched right to correct, and it was just too late because he was still accelerating and Heikki was clearly not. I'm not a big fan of Webber's, but I feel sorry for him, because he's doing everything he can to work his way up the field after his terrible start, pushing as hard as he can, and then bam he rearends a considerably slower car WAAAAYYYYY before the corner. Personally, I think this is a great example of why the 107% rule change is a good one for 2011. Get the rolling speed bumps out of the middle of the track!!!!
the 107% rule is a good idea, but even at this race in Q1 when everyone was out there, the fastest lap was 98.3 seconds. 107% of that is 105.2 seconds. the slowest car in qualifying was 104.85, which was within the 107%. if you took the fastest qualifying time which was in Q3, of 97.6 seconds, then the 107% time is 104.4, only then the HRT cars were the only ones not within the limit. the lotus cars were 2 seconds a lap faster the the HRT, they are aren't even close to not qualifying if the rule is implemented.

if they are going to exclude certain cars from qualifying, those cars should have no limit of on track testing between races so they can cover the gap and get their cars up to speed.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Webber is quoted as saying that Heikki braked 80 meters earlier than Webber expected him to. Do you think that this is a case where Kovalainen was just cruising through the middle of the track, and then just didn't know what to do to get out of Webber's way? Watching the replay, it almost seemed like Heikki twitched left a split second before Webber decided to do the same thing, and then Webber twitched right to correct, and it was just too late because he was still accelerating and Heikki was clearly not. I'm not a big fan of Webber's, but I feel sorry for him, because he's doing everything he can to work his way up the field after his terrible start, pushing as hard as he can, and then bam he rearends a considerably slower car WAAAAYYYYY before the corner. ...
IMO Webber just wasn't paying attention - complete lack of judgment and patience. Why on earth would he draft the Lotus that close going into the corner? It's not like waiting for a better passing opportunity would have made his race any worse. Furthermore, the two were racing for position, so Webber's comment about "Heikki should have moved over" is completely ludicrous. Made for an entertaining race, though.

And much kudos to Kobayashi. That was a great drive, punctuated by two spectacular passes at the end.

LOL @ Ferrari. While I have to agree that Hamilton deserved a much more severe penalty, I have to give him kudos for exploiting the SC. He obviously slowed down just enough to where he could pass the SC right before the end of the pit-out merge lane. Beautiful. Instead of whining, Alonso should have stuck on Hamilton's tail and made the pass as well. Unfortunately for thim, though, he was a lot further back than the 'meter' he's claiming.

l8r)
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
the 107% rule is a good idea, but even at this race in Q1 when everyone was out there, the fastest lap was 98.3 seconds. 107% of that is 105.2 seconds. the slowest car in qualifying was 104.85, which was within the 107%. if you took the fastest qualifying time which was in Q3, of 97.6 seconds, then the 107% time is 104.4, only then the HRT cars were the only ones not within the limit. the lotus cars were 2 seconds a lap faster the the HRT, they are aren't even close to not qualifying if the rule is implemented.

if they are going to exclude certain cars from qualifying, those cars should have no limit of on track testing between races so they can cover the gap and get their cars up to speed.
This!

Quick Reply: Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1