Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2010, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KPerez
Schumi is done and will not be able to keep up with the likes of Vettle and Hamilton
You might be right. I think it will come down to this though. Schumacher isn't the same guy that he used to be. He's not going to be able to win races with a subpar car anymore, but I still think that he's easily capable of getting on pole and winning races from the front if he's given the best car on the grid. In other words, he's certainly capable of doing at least what Jenson did last year. The question then becomes.....when did Mercedes, err Brawn, begin development on the 2010 car? With their early points lead and almost obvious lack of late season progress, I'd like to think that they spent most of their R&D time on the 2010 car in the latter half of 2009. If that's the case, and they got another early lead on the other teams in developing their 2010 car, then Schumacher may very well find himself an 8 time WDC winner. Wish we didn't have to wait another couple months to find out!!!!!!
Old Jan 19, 2010, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Billy@EnglishRacing
I think Ferrari and MB will come out on top.
Ferrari has a problem: Their engines are lower on hp than Merc and they consume more fuel. It will be interesting to see how they will adjust for this since they cannot retune the engine ....but wait....they are allowed, under the rules, to make their engine more "reliable"....I am sure Ferrari would not use this as a means to retune....yeah, right!

Later, Ken
Old Jan 19, 2010, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GG06MR
With their early points lead and almost obvious lack of late season progress, I'd like to think that they spent most of their R&D time on the 2010 car in the latter half of 2009. If that's the case, and they got another early lead on the other teams in developing their 2010 car, then Schumacher may very well find himself an 8 time WDC winner. Wish we didn't have to wait another couple months to find out!!!!!!
Ferrari was working on their '10' car during at least the last third of the '09' season so they to were working hard to prevent what happenned last year be a repeat in '10'. Ferrari has good news and bad news: The Good-they have been successful in having lower tire wear than their competitors. The Bad-their engines are gas hogs and put out less hp than their competitors (Cosworth is unknown at this time).

Later, Ken
Old Jan 19, 2010, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, Kobay is definitely going to be in it assuming he gets a competitive car; I think the other teams dropped the ball when they let him go by. DeLaRosa will provide feedback to engineers but will not be competitive on the track.

Schumi is done and will not be able to keep up with the likes of Vettle and Hamilton; Rosberg is going to have to get used to the "seconds" treatment from Brawn despite his statements and expectations to the contrary.

Later, Ken
Completely disagree...

You might be right. I think it will come down to this though. Schumacher isn't the same guy that he used to be. He's not going to be able to win races with a subpar car anymore, but I still think that he's easily capable of getting on pole and winning races from the front if he's given the best car on the grid. In other words, he's certainly capable of doing at least what Jenson did last year. The question then becomes.....when did Mercedes, err Brawn, begin development on the 2010 car? With their early points lead and almost obvious lack of late season progress, I'd like to think that they spent most of their R&D time on the 2010 car in the latter half of 2009. If that's the case, and they got another early lead on the other teams in developing their 2010 car, then Schumacher may very well find himself an 8 time WDC winner. Wish we didn't have to wait another couple months to find out!!!!!!
When did he have a sub-par car to begin with? The F2005 is the only car I can think of that didn't perform.

Ferrari has a problem: Their engines are lower on hp than Merc and they consume more fuel. It will be interesting to see how they will adjust for this since they cannot retune the engine ....but wait....they are allowed, under the rules, to make their engine more "reliable"....I am sure Ferrari would not use this as a means to retune....yeah, right!

Later, Ken
All the teams have upgraded their engine under this rule. Don't be fooled into thinking Ferrari are the only ones. Also, since when did the Ferrari engine become any more fuel hungry than anything else on the grid? Are you refering to the one race lastyear when they didn't get all the fuel in the car and Massa had to let Vettel and Alonso by (Barcelona)?

Where do you guys get this stuff from...?
Old Jan 19, 2010, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grillpt

All the teams have upgraded their engine under this rule. Don't be fooled into thinking Ferrari are the only ones. Also, since when did the Ferrari engine become any more fuel hungry than anything else on the grid? Are you refering to the one race lastyear when they didn't get all the fuel in the car and Massa had to let Vettel and Alonso by (Barcelona)?

Where do you guys get this stuff from...?
If U do a little reading, the information is there: "It is believed that Ferrari's V8 uses more fuel per lap than its main rivals Mercedes and Renault, and team principal Stefano Domenicali has admitted it is working on the problem.
Engines can only be altered to improve reliability under the current freeze on development, meaning Ferrari cannot retune the engine to improve fuel consumption. Domenicali is not concerned, however, and claimed his team won't be at a disadvantage by the first race on March 14."

Later, Ken
Old Jan 19, 2010, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

^ OK, I'll give you that one... still don't think its going to be an issue. We'll find out in Bahrain.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Ferrari was working on their '10' car during at least the last third of the '09' season so they to were working hard to prevent what happenned last year be a repeat in '10'. Ferrari has good news and bad news: The Good-they have been successful in having lower tire wear than their competitors. The Bad-their engines are gas hogs and put out less hp than their competitors (Cosworth is unknown at this time).

Later, Ken
Good post. The Brawn GP car seemed to be very easy on tires last year as well, so it makes me wonder if Brawn learned something at Ferrari that other teams don't know?
Old Jan 19, 2010, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Good post. The Brawn GP car seemed to be very easy on tires last year as well, so it makes me wonder if Brawn learned something at Ferrari that other teams don't know?
Difficult to say but Barricello and Button are very smooth drivers i.e., they do not chew up tires like Kimi and Shumi used to. Remember it was Schumi's tires that gave out in the closing laps when he attempted to run Villenuve off the track...,one of his usual tricks, or blocking the track (Monte Carlo) so others cannot have good quali times,etc. which hopefully will not be tolerated in '10'.

Later, Ken
Old Jan 19, 2010, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
When did he have a sub-par car to begin with? The F2005 is the only car I can think of that didn't perform.
How about.....most every time his car didn't start a race on pole. I'm not talking about season to season, but more specifically race to race. I don't think I've ever seen a guy get more out of a car than MS. He is honestly one of the few drivers in the current era of F1 that could win a race from behind without having the quickest car on the grid.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Difficult to say but Barricello and Button are very smooth drivers i.e., they do not chew up tires like Kimi and Shumi used to. Remember it was Schumi's tires that gave out in the closing laps when he attempted to run Villenuve off the track...,one of his usual tricks, or blocking the track (Monte Carlo) so others cannot have good quali times,etc. which hopefully will not be tolerated in '10'.

Later, Ken
Good point. I'm pretty hung up on what they'll be doing as far as tires are concerned. They're doing the Prime and Option thing again this year, right? If so, do you think I am correct in assuming that most every team will use a 1 stop strategy with the prime tire in the heavier 1st stint and then the option tire in the lighter 2nd stint? Unless they can get enough speed out of the option tire to go with a 2 stop strategy with 2 stints on the option tire?! I think that decision right there is going to play a big part in how this season plays out.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Good point. I'm pretty hung up on what they'll be doing as far as tires are concerned. They're doing the Prime and Option thing again this year, right? If so, do you think I am correct in assuming that most every team will use a 1 stop strategy with the prime tire in the heavier 1st stint and then the option tire in the lighter 2nd stint? Unless they can get enough speed out of the option tire to go with a 2 stop strategy with 2 stints on the option tire?! I think that decision right there is going to play a big part in how this season plays out.
There will have to be a delicate balance here between the degree of aggresive driving to reduce tire wear and fuel consumption but yet be in front of the other drivers. Because they will all have larger fuel tanks for '10' season, the balance of the car when full and towards empty will also have to be considered especially for the rear tires were the weight of the fuel will be greatest. U are right, some of the tactics of last year will be employed but there will have to be some significant changes in the way the car drives and how to drive it.

Later, Ken
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

My Picks at the moment:

1)Schumacher
1)Vettel
1)Hamilton

^ IMO too close to call

3)Button
4)Alonso
5)Massa
6)Webber
7)Kobayashi (just for grins )
8)Rosberg

I don't agree that Schumi can't keep up. Look at his consistent ROC results and his GP2 test. IDT he'll have any problems. At most a couple of races to get back into the swing of things.

l8r)
Old Jan 19, 2010, 01:56 PM
Former Sponsor

1)vettel
2)alonso
3)schumacher
4)hami
Old Jan 19, 2010, 01:57 PM
Former Sponsor

oh and interested in fantasy F1 again this year? i got whooped last year so its time to stage a comeback just like schumi!
Old Jan 19, 2010, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut

I don't agree that Schumi can't keep up. Look at his consistent ROC results and his GP2 test. IDT he'll have any problems. At most a couple of races to get back into the swing of things.
l8r)
My thoughts exactly!!! You guys who think the man has lost it are completely WRONG!

Its rare to see drives like Kimi's @ Suzuka in 05', guys don't really come from the back to win. Am I saying he'll do that all the time, no. Do I think he could, yes if the conditions made it possible but that can be said for almost anyone on the grid.

I don't see Vettel or Hami doing that do you? (Not bashing those guys, just saying your thought process is flawed)

Quick Reply: Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1