Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The accident between Weber and Hamilton was a racing incident and I too am glad the stewards got it right.

Bottom line: Hamilton should've made more room in the inside for Weber as he was passing him. Why? Because he wasn't fully ahead of Weber (nose to tail), he didn't and he paid for it big time. Perhaps even ruining his chances in the championship. This is racing and no one is going to give you an inch.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaking of "giving an inch"... I notice no drivers are giving Schumacher any respect. Even the most junior of drivers are cutting off Schumacher. You see how one driver (Heidfeld?) just collided with Schumacher causing him to spin around and have to come into get a new front wing?

This would never happen before. Schumacher used to be a God... and everybody stayed the eff out of his way. Now the "masters" are Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel and Webber. Everybody will give Webber room because they know that if you don't... you are going to end up crashing... lol Isn't that the same fear Senna inspired?
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Weber/Hamilton:

I've been in both situations, albeit karting. It's a racing incident. Weber had no room to adjust and wasn't going to brake to make space. Louis thinks he has the pass completed and tries to set up for the next corner.

Until you've driven competetively it's just pointing fingers to who's at fault. Even if you have, it's a tough to wrap your head around. I used to be good friends with someone, and the same situation came up. We have not spoken in a while.

Interesting enough, the same series of events just about unfolded when Kubica was making his way back to 6th, at the same corner.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
weber / hamilton incident......

hamilton once again proves he makes more bad decisions during crunch-time....3rd year in a row!

IMO weber should have received a drive-through...weber would have struck hamilton in the side if he was over another 10 feet.

you just cant drive into someone because they get a run on you...if webers previous racing line through that corner was to always stick his left wheel over the curb before the apex, then it was a racing incident....but that wasnt the case.

fkn louis pisses away what could have been his 3rd championship......
i disagree with the drive though... its not like webber was making a kamakazi attempt at a pass. he was the driver being passed, even held tight to the inside and didn't make crazy blocking attempts on the straight leading up to that corner. hami didn't have as much room as he though, admitted he couldn't see webber, cut inside for the apex and webber was there. to me its no different then the first lap, first corner incidents that always happen. usually everyone holds their line (be it inside line or outside line), but sometimes someone moves over a bit to much and knocks an endplate off. in this case the mclarens are very fragile cars and suspension seems to go easy.

oh, and anyone want to start taking bets on if anyone is going to intentionally crash as the final races approach? i can sense a lot of tension building between RB and MC.

Last edited by KevinD; Sep 27, 2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Silly Season: Part III

This from Boullier, Renault team principle: "I decided to tell some drivers that we will not carry on discussions with them, so we [k]now wait and see - but Kimi remains one of our scenarios...I have said many times that I want to meet with him first before we do anything more. I want to understand more about his wish to come back."
So if Kimi convinces Boullier that he truely wants to return to F1, Petrov is history...down to one of the new teams or out the door.

My prediction: Kimi will be back for '11'

Later, Ken
Old Sep 28, 2010, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SWOLN
Weber/Hamilton:

I've been in both situations, albeit karting. It's a racing incident. Weber had no room to adjust and wasn't going to brake to make space. Louis thinks he has the pass completed and tries to set up for the next corner.

Until you've driven competetively it's just pointing fingers to who's at fault. Even if you have, it's a tough to wrap your head around. I used to be good friends with someone, and the same situation came up. We have not spoken in a while.

Interesting enough, the same series of events just about unfolded when Kubica was making his way back to 6th, at the same corner.
Someone else seems to agree: "For those who thought it was a fair and sensible move (Brundle) where was his car going to go after he braked? He was behind Hamilton, he was on far too tight a line to make the corner alongside Hamilton, it was obvious he couldn't make the turn and avoid hitting the McLaren."

From what I can recall, Hamilton not completely passed Weber in the turn...rather along side but in front of and Weber, a that point, had two options: back off and let Hamilton through OR hold his line. He chose the latter and went into Hamilton. IMHO one makes a pass when it can be achieved successfully...Hamilton banked on Weber lifting... in short, he relied on Weber letting him through...he should have known Weber was not going to do this AND should have attempted to pass at a point where his driving skills, independent of Weber's intentions, would have enabled a legitament pass.

Later, Ken
Old Sep 28, 2010, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KPerez
This from Boullier, Renault team principle: "I decided to tell some drivers that we will not carry on discussions with them, so we [k]now wait and see - but Kimi remains one of our scenarios...I have said many times that I want to meet with him first before we do anything more. I want to understand more about his wish to come back."
So if Kimi convinces Boullier that he truely wants to return to F1, Petrov is history...down to one of the new teams or out the door.

My prediction: Kimi will be back for '11'

Later, Ken
That would be sweet!

Someone else seems to agree: "For those who thought it was a fair and sensible move (Brundle) where was his car going to go after he braked? He was behind Hamilton, he was on far too tight a line to make the corner alongside Hamilton, it was obvious he couldn't make the turn and avoid hitting the McLaren."

From what I can recall, Hamilton not completely passed Weber in the turn...rather along side but in front of and Weber, a that point, had two options: back off and let Hamilton through OR hold his line. He chose the latter and went into Hamilton. IMHO one makes a pass when it can be achieved successfully...Hamilton banked on Weber lifting... in short, he relied on Weber letting him through...he should have known Weber was not going to do this AND should have attempted to pass at a point where his driving skills, independent of Weber's intentions, would have enabled a legitament pass.

Later, Ken
Like I said before, I feel it was a racing incident. Hami wasn't clear and Weber wasn't about to just roll over and let him have the spot. If they had taken each other out maybe it would have been a little more "fair" in the end, but thats not the case. Thats what motor racing is all about and thats why I watch it.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Hamilton banked on Weber lifting... in short, he relied on Weber letting him through...he should have known Weber was not going to do this AND should have attempted to pass at a point where his driving skills, independent of Weber's intentions, would have enabled a legitament pass.
Hmm, I can't speak for Hamilton, or know what he was thinking at the time, any more than anyone else can. What I can say is when, driving I'm only thinking about what it is that I need to do in order to make the pass. I can't take time to anticipate what the other drivers are potentially going to do. Mostly because time is critical, and also because there are too many variables to come away with the correct outcome.

I think hind sight is 20/20 here. Maybe we can move on now?

How about that fire?!?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

2 things....

1) From the looks of things, Vettel would have walked away from Alonso if positions after the 1st corner had been reversed. Looked like he was just hanging out behind Alonso the entire race. IIRC, at one point he even made the comment...I'm not pushing.

2) Where did Ferrari find this pace to even be in the position to win pole? Is it a matter of the new and more stringent testing procedures for chassis and/or wing stiffness slowing down RB and McLaren, Ferrari spending more money on developing/improving their car compared to any of their competitors, or a combination of the two?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Both Webber and Hailton are aggressive, and those things might happen, but Hamilton was pretty much around him. I think Webber should have atleast gotten a drive-thru. But maybe I'm just biased. I'm ok with Webber, but he's been a little whiny with the whole number two talk.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SWOLN
Hmm, I can't speak for Hamilton, or know what he was thinking at the time, any more than anyone else can. What I can say is when, driving I'm only thinking about what it is that I need to do in order to make the pass. I can't take time to anticipate what the other drivers are potentially going to do. Mostly because time is critical, and also because there are too many variables to come away with the correct outcome.
Part of being a good racing driver is always anticipating what your fellow racers are going to do and where they are.

What a crazy fire situation, I'm surprised Heikke was so calm the entire time. I was saying to myself, "Dude!!! Abandon ship already!"
Old Sep 30, 2010, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GG06MR
2 things....

1) From the looks of things, Vettel would have walked away from Alonso if positions after the 1st corner had been reversed. Looked like he was just hanging out behind Alonso the entire race. IIRC, at one point he even made the comment...I'm not pushing.

2) Where did Ferrari find this pace to even be in the position to win pole? Is it a matter of the new and more stringent testing procedures for chassis and/or wing stiffness slowing down RB and McLaren, Ferrari spending more money on developing/improving their car compared to any of their competitors, or a combination of the two?
These R good points: it appears that after the FIA decided to check the chassis flex, RB has lost its edge...that said, Vettel was quickest until Q3 but think that was driver/traffic and associated skill/conditions were the cause(s)...and it is very difficult to pass at Singapore especially for the leaders with their pace keeping enough rubber to finish.

Later, Ken
Old Sep 30, 2010, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Did anyone catch the video of the RB chassis flex they showed on SpeedTV? It was amazing how much the chassis "absorbed" the rumble strips as the car went over it.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

These R good points: it appears that after the FIA decided to check the chassis flex, RB has lost its edge...that said, Vettel was quickest until Q3 but think that was driver/traffic and associated skill/conditions were the cause(s)...and it is very difficult to pass at Singapore especially for the leaders with their pace keeping enough rubber to finish.

Later, Ken
Seriously though. Something big must have happened. I just reviewed this season's race results, and both Ferrari drivers were 30-60 seconds off of the race leader in at least half of the races before the German GP, so that's at least 0.5 second per lap they made up in between the British GP on 07/11 to the German GP on 07/25 when Alonso started his run.

One more speculative comment....any chance their quick improvement has anything to do with Pat Fry joining them on July 1st? Could they theoretically implement any of the tricks he carried over from McLaren on this year's Ferrari in a matter of weeks? Hard to imagine, but there has to be some sort of explanation for how quickly they improved their car.

Note to McLaren. You should have simply hired Stepney in '07. It would have saved you millions and a World Championship.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Part of being a good racing driver is always anticipating what your fellow racers are going to do and where they are.
Guess we are not moving on...

So, I guess Weber should have anticipated Hamilton passing him in that corner because he clearly knew there was a tire advatage to Hamilton, in escence, avoiding the situatoion all together?

The "space" is normally given in courtesy (racing ettiquete), not anticipation. The only thing I shoud be able to "anticipate" is you controlling, your vehicle.

No flame, just good banter.

Quick Reply: Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1