Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2010, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Schumi will be up there IF Braun can pulll another rabbit out of the hat...but I doubt the other teams are going to have a repeat of last year. If there is relative parity, Schumi will be an also ran...but this is just talk...time will tell the tale.

Later, Ken
Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scorke
I'll be in Kuala Lampur and Montreal, anybody else going to either of these two?

Malaysians make partying in Australia look tame

Scorke
I thought about Melboune but im probally going to Montreal im still in econ recovery mode 4k-5k for 2weeks vs 2-3(maybe lower than that) seems like a no brainer.

But nothing beats the price ofa ticket a drive across town damn it f1 come back to the US we miss you so.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just read on the F1 website that USF1 is excited about their car being innovative and different than everyone else's car. Triumphantly claiming that they're not hampered by past experiences to get in the way of their innovation, so they won't be a clone like everyone else. Remember the Williams front wing a handful of years ago that had that upside down Y shape that was supposed to increase handling? This talk about innovation and not building a clone reminds me of that. If they truly are thinking way outside of the box, then quite honestly I think they're going to be even slower and perform even worse than I had originally expected. If you don't know what works, then you really shouldn't be screwing around with the car until you do. Otherwise you're going to spend all of your time trying to fix the problems YOU created instead of improving the already proven package. What RedBull did with Jaguar comes to mind as the right direction to take if you want to get into F1 and actually be competitive within a decade.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by KevinD
oh and interested in fantasy F1 again this year? i got whooped last year so its time to stage a comeback just like schumi!
I did worse then you, we scoring points is as rare as Force India scoring

Originally Posted by GG06MR
I just read on the F1 website that USF1 is excited about their car being innovative and different than everyone else's car. Triumphantly claiming that they're not hampered by past experiences to get in the way of their innovation, so they won't be a clone like everyone else. Remember the Williams front wing a handful of years ago that had that upside down Y shape that was supposed to increase handling? This talk about innovation and not building a clone reminds me of that. If they truly are thinking way outside of the box, then quite honestly I think they're going to be even slower and perform even worse than I had originally expected. If you don't know what works, then you really shouldn't be screwing around with the car until you do. Otherwise you're going to spend all of your time trying to fix the problems YOU created instead of improving the already proven package. What RedBull did with Jaguar comes to mind as the right direction to take if you want to get into F1 and actually be competitive within a decade.
They have also asked drivers to come up with 5 mil in sponsorships to secure a seat. I don't think usf1 will make the grid.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Billy@EnglishRacing
They have also asked drivers to come up with 5 mil in sponsorships to secure a seat. I don't think usf1 will make the grid.
Are you serious? Sounds like they're essentially asking the drivers to find a sponsor to pay for their driver salaries. The more I hear about USF1, the more disheartened I get. Isn't there anybody out there with a boat load of money and an interest in sports, like Paul Allen, that they could get involved on the financial/ownership side that could actually get things moving in the right direction?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 01:29 PM
Former Sponsor

I did worse then you, we scoring points is as rare as Force India scoring

haha no kidding

and the USF1 asking their drivers to come uip with sponsorship money isn't new. i'm fairly certain a few teams do that already. that was one of the reasons Sato kept getting a drive (even though hes not that good). he had big time sponsors backing him.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:13 PM
Former Sponsor

haha no kidding

and the USF1 asking their drivers to come uip with sponsorship money isn't new. i'm fairly certain a few teams do that already. that was one of the reasons Sato kept getting a drive (even though hes not that good). he had big time sponsors backing him.
I know it is not the first time, but im not sure any other teams are asking drivers to find that much money.

I will go out on a limb right now and say that USF1 will not be on the grid at the first race of the season.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Im not surprised USF1 are asking drivers to pay $$. What do you expect from a small team that is entering F1 for very first time. The only way they can get sponsors $$ with no prior experience is a ) through signing a driver who is financially backed b) winning races, and even then its not given that sponsors will start knocking on doors, as we have seen with Brown GP last year.

F1 is an expensive sport, travel alone must cost a fortune, not to mention replacing damaged car parts after each race.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GG06MR
Are you serious? Sounds like they're essentially asking the drivers to find a sponsor to pay for their driver salaries. The more I hear about USF1, the more disheartened I get. Isn't there anybody out there with a boat load of money and an interest in sports, like Paul Allen, that they could get involved on the financial/ownership side that could actually get things moving in the right direction?
haha no kidding

Agreed, there not the first and they won't be the last. I don't think 5mil is that much to be honest.
Kazuki had his drive with Williams for the last two seasons the exact same way, financial backing from Toyota.

I know it is not the first time, but im not sure any other teams are asking drivers to find that much money.

I will go out on a limb right now and say that USF1 will not be on the grid at the first race of the season.
I still think they will... its gonna be close though.

Originally Posted by letMeIn
Im not surprised USF1 are asking drivers to pay $$. What do you expect from a small team that is entering F1 for very first time. The only way they can get sponsors $$ with no prior experience is a ) through signing a driver who is financially backed b) winning races, and even then its not given that sponsors will start knocking on doors, as we have seen with Brown GP last year.

F1 is an expensive sport, travel alone must cost a fortune, not to mention replacing damaged car parts after each race.
Yep, Senna brought money with him when he signed with Campos. Like you said a lot of the small teams do it, they almost have too.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
Its rare to see drives like Kimi's @ Suzuka in 05', guys don't really come from the back to win. Am I saying he'll do that all the time, no. Do I think he could, yes if the conditions made it possible but that can be said for almost anyone on the grid.

I don't see Vettel or Hami doing that do you? (Not bashing those guys, just saying your thought process is flawed)
I disagree - I think both Vettel and Hamilton are good enough drivers to pull something like that off. IIRC, both have actually come pretty close already.

l8r)
Old Jan 21, 2010, 09:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by letMeIn
no kidding! i think they are 15 million a car? just think, you pick up a driver and he crashes it 3 races in a row. right there is kimis salary for the year instead of a new guy who wrecked 3 cars.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Nah theyll make it and probally even to the starting grid where one of the cars will drop out due to some kind of failure and the other IF it makes it to the starting grid will crash OR theyll just finish last and second to last.(although I hope they will do better than that)

+of course theyll use pay drivers im sure sponsors arent willing to invest a whole lot into a team that barely even had a fully functioning factory at the end of the 2009 season but with drivers they can test the water so to speak.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
I disagree - I think both Vettel and Hamilton are good enough drivers to pull something like that off. IIRC, both have actually come pretty close already.

l8r)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDgpS4kx88s

As much as I dislike Hamilton, he is an INCREDIBLE driver.

He can do just about anything, unlike Michael however he gets uneasy on the limit where Michael feels comfortable there.

Scorke
Old Jan 21, 2010, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Nice to see that I'm not the only extremely skeptical person about the odds of USF1 doing anything positive this year. Reminds me of the "Super Best Friends" Super Aguri team a couple years ago. They're going to be mocked and ridiculed for sure. For that reason alone I'd like them to change the name from USF1 to just about anything else. Maybe Windsor GP?! And why is it that we can smack the rest of the world around when it comes to the Olympics, but we can't seem to find greatness in F1? We obviously have no problem finding and developing elite athletes for just about every sport in the world, but auto racing continues to fall short. What gives?!
Old Jan 21, 2010, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
If would be nice to see all the teams make the grid, but i really think there will be a good bit of watching from the sidelines for a team or two.

Quick Reply: Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1