Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2010, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GG06MR
Seriously though. Something big must have happened. I just reviewed this season's race results, and both Ferrari drivers were 30-60 seconds off of the race leader in at least half of the races before the German GP, so that's at least 0.5 second per lap they made up in between the British GP on 07/11 to the German GP on 07/25 when Alonso started his run.

One more speculative comment....any chance their quick improvement has anything to do with Pat Fry joining them on July 1st? Could they theoretically implement any of the tricks he carried over from McLaren on this year's Ferrari in a matter of weeks? Hard to imagine, but there has to be some sort of explanation for how quickly they improved their car.

Note to McLaren. You should have simply hired Stepney in '07. It would have saved you millions and a World Championship.
This cracks me up. Did you see he received a 20month suspended prison sentence...

http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6...ended-sentence
Old Sep 30, 2010, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
This cracks me up. Did you see he received a 20month suspended prison sentence...

http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6...ended-sentence
Awesome. Who gets back into F1 first between Stepney and Flavio?!?!
Old Oct 1, 2010, 03:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome. Who gets back into F1 first between Stepney and Flavio?!?!
They are both incompetent and have nothing positive to contribute to F1...with regard to Stephney, the racing team which hired him after he provided info to McLaren found him rather underwhelming (http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=42153).

Later, Ken

Last edited by KPerez; Oct 1, 2010 at 03:30 AM.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SWOLN
Guess we are not moving on...

So, I guess Weber should have anticipated Hamilton passing him in that corner because he clearly knew there was a tire advatage to Hamilton, in escence, avoiding the situatoion all together?

The "space" is normally given in courtesy (racing ettiquete), not anticipation. The only thing I shoud be able to "anticipate" is you controlling, your vehicle.

No flame, just good banter.
It's not a matter of moving on but we just happen to disagree on the matter. Bottom line: if I go to a racing track with my attitude and race with other members in a club there won't be an accident, if you go with yours, you will cause an "incident" that will be frowned upon. So at the end of the day, what is the proper way to race and safely make a pass. The way I prefer, or the "not having time" to think and anticipate mode you describe? Remember, gentleman's rule is the car passing needs to modify their line to make the pass while the car being passed holds theirs.

Etiquette and anticipation go hand in hand. Controlling my vehicle is not the only thing you need to anticipate but where I am and where I'm going to be. Situational awareness is crucial at all times. Talk to anyone who club races with the SCCA and NASA and they will tell you the same thing.

Same here no flame, just good discussion
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
It's not a matter of moving on but we just happen to disagree on the matter. Bottom line: if I go to a racing track with my attitude and race with other members in a club there won't be an accident, if you go with yours, you will cause an "incident" that will be frowned upon. So at the end of the day, what is the proper way to race and safely make a pass. The way I prefer, or the "not having time" to think and anticipate mode you describe? Remember, gentleman's rule is the car passing needs to modify their line to make the pass while the car being passed holds theirs.

Etiquette and anticipation go hand in hand. Controlling my vehicle is not the only thing you need to anticipate but where I am and where I'm going to be. Situational awareness is crucial at all times. Talk to anyone who club races with the SCCA and NASA and they will tell you the same thing.

Same here no flame, just good discussion
although i would totally agree with you at a club sport level, the stakes in F1 are a million times higher then a local club race. if the difference between becoming a world champion or forgotten as a "decent driver" is putting your car in harms way on occasion, you bet those guys are gonna do it. not to mention becoming a world champion is definitely worth millions to the driver and the team.

when you or i crash at a local event, it can be season ending because we don't have unlimited funds to keep rebuilding the car after every incident, there for people drive much more cautiously. also, our cars are quite a bit slower so that gives us all a lot more time to look around, analyze, and then react. driving a formula car is a handful by itself (and i've only driven FSAE cars in autocrosses ). i can't imagine driving an F1 car, then having to worry about all the cars around you and have to think what they are going to do.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Agreed that the stakes a much higher in F1, but a thoughtless move will still cause you to crash and cost you the race, which in turn costs you points towards the drivers championship and the team loses out on constructor points. So in the end, IMHO it is still a poor decision. The stakes are high, therefore IMHO, it is crucial you have to be critical in your judgement. Look at the way some of the other F1 drivers battle it out without having "incidents".

About those car being a handful, I couldn't agree more about them giving the driver very little time to react. However the human mind is a funny thing, it can get used to a higher sense of speed and reaction time after repeated exposure. To explain what I mean:

If you drive a Toyota Corrolla every day, the moment you get into an EVO and floor it, your mind will be overwhelmed with how little time you have to react. If you drive an EVO everyday, it'll feel normal, even slow at times and when you floor it you'll be able to anticipate and react to most situations. Now if you drive a 505WHP Vette every day and are used to that speed and step into a stock EVO, it'll probably feel extremely slow to you. So the sense of speed is all relative to the human mind and what it is conditioned to.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

A Perez to Sauber

Well, looks like line up for '11' season is now signed: Kobay and Sergio Perez are next years drivers ( http://www.crash.net/f1/news/163929/...r_line-up.html ). Nick is out and, I think, was only brought in to get some additional constructors points for Sauber this year so that he can get his $10 mil from FIA for being in top ten. Telmex is providing sponsorship to Sauber as support for Perez's seat....no... the kid is no relation at all...and these are the much needed bucks Sauber needs to be competitive next year.

Later, Ken
Old Oct 6, 2010, 04:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
Well, looks like line up for '11' season is now signed: Kobay and Sergio Perez are next years drivers ( http://www.crash.net/f1/news/163929/...r_line-up.html ). Nick is out and, I think, was only brought in to get some additional constructors points for Sauber this year so that he can get his $10 mil from FIA for being in top ten. Telmex is providing sponsorship to Sauber as support for Perez's seat....no... the kid is no relation at all...and these are the much needed bucks Sauber needs to be competitive next year.

Later, Ken
An update: Had no idea how big a deal this was...Carlos Slim, owner of Telmex is worth $50 bil!...more that Billy Gates...his backing really opens the door for Sauber to be competitive with the big boys for next year. But this support by Slim is more than just bringing Mexico into the F1 fold, like India, Italy, etc. Rather, Slim also has a son, Jr. and he is a racer so perhaps Slim is getting his foot in the door at Sauber for his son's future racing in F1 which may also result in him buying Sauber...Kobay's heritage, as oppsed to driving skills, may be his undoing, but way down the road since there are now two spanish speaking team mates with Perez and Gutierrez (test driver) on the Sauber team and a potential young Slim in the offing.
Bottom Line: Sauber has just secured its future and has the potential to be at the top in the not to distant future.

Later, Ken
Old Oct 6, 2010, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

Kimi Outburst: What is going on here?

Kimi is now totally pissed off with Renault and has declared there is no way he will drive for Renault (http://www.crash.net/f1/news/163996/...t_rumours.html ). Kimi claims Renault used his name for their own promotional purposes.
I am confused with this outburst. It was Kimi's representative that went and made overtures to Renault, not the other way around. So Renault's statements that they were flattered to have such interest are justified. In short, Kimi is either an immature hot head or he is pissed that his rep leaked something out prematurely and his latest "concerns" are just a diversionary tactic. Either way, I am disappointed with this behavior...more significantly so may other F1 teams so he better clean up his act or his only drive will be a crashed rally car.

Later, Ken
Old Oct 6, 2010, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

^ I don't think Kimi ever had any intentions of going back to F1. I could see him contacting Renault just to see what their deal was, but I couldn't see him driving for them. It would have to be a winning team to get him on the grid, Renault simply isn't there, not yet anyways.

That being said, I wanted to believe the rumors. I always enjoyed watching Kimi drive an F1 car.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Lotus to use Red Bull gearboxes / hydraulics next season

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin.../10/11339.html

How is that possible? I didn't realize that those components/systems could be sold like they do engine deals. Regardless, it makes me wonder if they would work out a deal with a team that was a serious threat too.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
Kimi is now totally pissed off with Renault and has declared there is no way he will drive for Renault (http://www.crash.net/f1/news/163996/...t_rumours.html ). Kimi claims Renault used his name for their own promotional purposes.

Later, Ken
Sounds a lot like "sensationalistic" rumor journalism, I'm sorry but its very hard to believe since Kimi is known as the Iceking ...
Old Oct 6, 2010, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin.../10/11339.html

How is that possible? I didn't realize that those components/systems could be sold like they do engine deals. Regardless, it makes me wonder if they would work out a deal with a team that was a serious threat too.
They already R selective...Red Bull wanted Mercedes engine...Mercedes refused to provide...the only thing I think that is sacred is the body and associated parts, the rest is for sale depending on who U R.

Later,Ken
Old Oct 6, 2010, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Sounds a lot like "sensationalistic" rumor journalism, I'm sorry but its very hard to believe since Kimi is known as the Iceking ...
These R Kimi's words: "I am very disappointed with the way they have used my name for their marketing...I have never seriously considered driving for Renault, and I can assure you 100 per cent that I will not be driving for them next year.”
First, he ok'ed his spokesperson to query Renault about a seat. It appears that he has done same to other F1 teams by saying,"...I will not be driving for them[but maybe somebody else] next year."
To me he is beginning to sound like a primadonna, a la Alonso....concerned over using his name!...come on, all Boullier said was , Wow, we must be doing a good job if Kimi is interested in a seat...no, the journalists are not spouting "sensationlistic rumors" rather it is Raikonnen...the Iceman is in a rum and coke, not a Martini and melting fast.

Later, Ken
Old Oct 8, 2010, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

Man, I LOVE Suzuka! The 1st sector has to be the best on the F1 calender, what I would give to do a track day there...

The Bulls are looking very fast, as expected, and Hami has a lot of work to do after a big shunt in P1. Think he's feeling the pressure of 2 DNF's in a row...? Keep it up Lewis, I love watching you crash.

Quick Reply: Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1