Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2010, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It may not seem right... but I guess Sutil is just raising his value?

I mean in GP2... wasn't this guy just as good as Lewis Hamilton? (or so I heard)
Old Nov 6, 2010, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just got to watch quali and all I can is WOW!
Old Nov 6, 2010, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Hulkenberg?!?!?!

HULKENBERG?!?!?!

WTF???

Hulkenberg on pole??? Am I drunk?

And he's ahead of 2nd place by an entire second?!?!?
Old Nov 7, 2010, 01:54 AM
Evolved Member

Jenson Button's road car almost got hijacked as he was leaving the track after qualifying!

http://www.planet-f1.com/news/3213/6...apes-Hijacking
Old Nov 7, 2010, 03:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crester
Hulkenberg?!?!?!

HULKENBERG?!?!?!

WTF???

Williams must have got his set up just right...can't believe he got by everybody...interesting to see if they set both cars up for rain conditions especially if it remains dry today...if the top 10 blow by Rubins and Hulk then that may explain how he did it....regardless I have to revise my prediction of Williams turning their back on him now.

Later, Ken
Old Nov 7, 2010, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

This was one of the best Qualifying session since I've been watching F1. I was just bummed that Rosberg did not make it to Q3.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Race is about to start now... wonder if the Redbull's, Alonso, Hamilton are just gonna blaze by Hulkenberg on the start since the track is dry.

The sound of the crowd is crazy... like a soccer game.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Hulkenberg tried, but just couldn't keep his position.

Alonso and Hamilton defiantly had to work to get around Hulkenberg. I think Alonso may have this wrapped up. But it's not over until it's over. With Hamilton 24 points down, he STILL HAS A CHANCE!!!!! Hahaha, even though I'm a Hamilton fan, the other top four guys would have to DNF for him to get the championship.

I'm all for Vettel next weekend. Though, being so young, a championship may go to his head.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Crester
Hulkenberg?!?!?!

HULKENBERG?!?!?!

WTF???

Right? Kudos to Hulkenberg! A rain setup probably helped him. Either way he really did try his best.

Hopefully either Alonso or Weber take it next week. Seems like there really is no team orders at Redbull.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

If Alonso ends up winning by less than 8 points, there's going to be a major uproar. Mad props go to Hulkenberg for pwning the field in qualifying and Red Bull for sticking to their mantra of no team orders.

l8r)
Old Nov 8, 2010, 07:19 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Webber looked pissed, i didn't think he was going to congratulate Vettel.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 07:27 AM
Former Sponsor

whats interesting is, if vettel had moved over and given webber the win, the points would be like this:

alonso = 246
webber = 245 down 1 point
vettel = 224 down 22 points

sure it gives webber better odds, but it effectively eliminates vettel completely.

now say in the last race webber has a mechanical failure, that means the only chance redbull would have is vettel winning, and alonso finishing 9th or worse. AND vettel would have to finish in front of hamilton. (very unlikely).

with the points as they actually are:
alonso = 246
webber = 238
vettel = 231

i feel they may be further behind, but they effectively give themselves more of a chance. (they didn't put all their eggs in one basket).

now lets say webber and vettels cars run fine. IF vettel is running first, webber second, and alonso 3rd, all that needs to happen is vettel have a engine hiccup, and let webber by and he still wins the championship. (most likely scenario i think will actually play out). cause if vettel finishs in front of the two immediately behind him, vettel and webber will both miss out (if there is ever going to be team orders, thats going to be it).

of course if vettel has a failure and it goes webber 1, alonso 2, then it hurts because he will loose by a point. likewise if webber has a failure, it goes vettel 1, alonso 2, they loose even worse.

if alonso has a failure, and vettel wins, he will tie webber, and win the championship on number of wins through the season.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

^ with regard to the last point, Alonso is running redone engines in each practice session and race from his original 8 allotment...Ferrari mechanics R definitely earning their keep!...they have saved one of these with the least mileage and refurbished it like no other, so it is very unlikely he will not have a failure...mechanics have been hoarding this one engine just in case the championship goes down to the last race.
Now if, on the last lap, we have the order found in Brazil, Vettel MUST let Weber through...there R no other options...because the weather will not be an issue, the championship will come down to three things: Qualy, the start being clean and each driver in the top four doing the right thing.

What a season...with next year having some significant changes to the cars will likely make it tighter at the top, if thats possible, with the lower, read slower, teams hopefully starting to significantly bridge the gap between themselves and the top ten.

Later, Ken
Old Nov 8, 2010, 08:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
^ I am willing to bet that vettel will allow webber by if the running / last lap order is identical to brasil. Vettel has nothing to gain by winning & would be denying webber the championship.......

How would it go down, especially if alonso is right on the tail of webber?.....does vettel just pull over to let him by or will it look like the finish line of a local bracket car race where webber just noses past for the win on the final lap?

regardless, it should be a very exciting finish to a really good season....
Old Nov 8, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I couldn't agree more, its a very exciting season. If push came to shove and the 2 Redbulls are in front of the Ferrari in the final laps then Vettel may concede the victory to Mark Weber. But this is assuming that the Redbull are even in front at Abu Dhabi. If I remember correctly the track has a lot of straight lines and tight corners, who knows the McLarens and Ferraris could be in front.

Quick Reply: Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1