Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2010, 12:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
judging by how badly the red bulls are beating everyone, i think its safe to say they will get 1/2 in qualy, and be running 1/2 in the race. the results in brazil only show that when red bull dial their cars back a lot, then ferrari can keep pace. and thats it. the bulls in brazil were on cruise control, with very obviously dialed back engine settings to conserve and not risk a failure.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
RedBull F1 are a bunch of idiots.

That is all.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 01:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by grillpt
RedBull F1 are a bunch of idiots.

That is all.

as opposed to the cheating ferraris? or the slow mclarens? pick your poison
Old Nov 8, 2010, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
judging by how badly the red bulls are beating everyone, i think its safe to say they will get 1/2 in qualy, and be running 1/2 in the race. the results in brazil only show that when red bull dial their cars back a lot, then ferrari can keep pace. and thats it. the bulls in brazil were on cruise control, with very obviously dialed back engine settings to conserve and not risk a failure.
Brazil is a high downforce track due to all the high speed corners and elevation changes. Heck even Korea had high speed corners. Those are the types of circuits where the Redbull chassis shines. In contrast to the Abu Dhabi track which has much lower speed corners and longer straight aways. I guess we'll find out this Saturday.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 02:57 PM
Former Sponsor

red bull went 1/2 last year at yas marina, and by a considerable margin for first. i would say mechanical grip on low speed corners is great on the car. the straight line speed of the mclaren may be an advantage there though... as non of the other cars seem to do as well with the f-duct.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

red bull went 1/2 last year at yas marina, and by a considerable margin for first. i would say mechanical grip on low speed corners is great on the car. the straight line speed of the mclaren may be an advantage there though... as non of the other cars seem to do as well with the f-duct.
If that's the case, then I could see Hamilton enjoying nothing more than spoiling another Alonso championship if he has no realistic shot at winning his 2nd.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Renault in F1: a different approach

Many of the big car companys have left F1 and Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault R the only ones left that rely primarily on the vast resources of their companys to fund a F1 team. The rest get funding from many sources including the drivers to fund their F1 teams. The latter is the usual case because to have one primary source for funding takes deep pockets...but such an approach to advertising UR name can be risky when the world economy tanks as evidenced by some of the biggest car companys, Honda, Toyota and BMW....yes, yes, Ken we NO all this...get on with it...(yup, I am talking to myself!).
However, the times, they R a changen. Renault is not going to fund an F1 team anymore..rather, they R probably going to sell their interests to Proton (http://www.crash.net/f1/news/164897/...oup_lotus.html ) yeilding some cash BUT, and here is the change, the new name, whatever that is,will be followed by Renault (note: could be Renault even though Proton runs and funds it). The same will occur next year for Lotus and Red Bull...i.e., Lotus Renault and Red Bull Renault. Ghosn, head of Renault and Nissan has decided he will not fund an F1 team directly ..rather Renault will be providing tech assist. in chassis development (nuts and bolts and aero) as well as engine supplier to get their name embedded in the team. Mercedes did this with McLaren until they couldn't take sharing the glory with McLaren and separated with their own team. Renault has chosen the less expensive route to get the same commercial benefit...their name plastered on, not just on one team but many. I wonder if Merc and Ferrari (Cosworth to?) will attempt to do same to Force India & McLaren (really doubt this one) and e.g., Sauber, respectively, for just being the engine supplier?

Later, Ken

Last edited by KPerez; Nov 9, 2010 at 04:47 AM.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

I wonder if his opinion (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88087 ) would have been the same if RB had not already won the constructors?

Later, Ken
Old Nov 9, 2010, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
I wonder if his opinion (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88087 ) would have been the same if RB had not already won the constructors?

Later, Ken
Just like in the last race, an RB 1-2 still adds up to the same amount of points for the team regardless of which driver finishes ahead of the other, so I'd say that's a yes either way.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

as opposed to the cheating ferraris? or the slow mclarens? pick your poison
I would have had Weber finish in front of Vettel, yes. RB is going to lose the driver title through no one's fault but there own. If Weber holds a grudge against the team for that, I wouldn't blame him one bit.
I wouldn't have made it as obvious as Ferrari did, calling him in for a pit stop though... that would have been fine.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

I would have had Weber finish in front of Vettel, yes. RB is going to lose the driver title through no one's fault but there own. If Weber holds a grudge against the team for that, I wouldn't blame him one bit.
I wouldn't have made it as obvious as Ferrari did, calling him in for a pit stop though... that would have been fine.
It's all about the math. RB knows that if they handle their business in Abu Dhabi and are sitting 1-2 in the latter stages of the race, then it all depends on where Alonso is on track. If he's 4th or higher, then they'll find a way for Webber to get the lead, or at least retain it. However, if Alonso is 5th or lower and Vettel is in the lead, then he better watch out, because you know Webber will do whatever he can to get around him knowing that they already clinched the Constructor Championship, so he has nothing to lose if he wrecks Vettel out going for the Driver's Championship, or vice versa Vettel won't be giving Webber an inch if he tries to pass. So....I expect to see either Vettel moving aside to enable Webber winning it all, or Webber and Vettel crashing one or both of themselves out in their attempt to win it all. Should be really interesting.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GG06MR
It's all about the math. RB knows that if they handle their business in Abu Dhabi and are sitting 1-2 in the latter stages of the race, then it all depends on where Alonso is on track. If he's 4th or higher, then they'll find a way for Webber to get the lead, or at least retain it. However, if Alonso is 5th or lower and Vettel is in the lead, then he better watch out, because you know Webber will do whatever he can to get around him knowing that they already clinched the Constructor Championship, so he has nothing to lose if he wrecks Vettel out going for the Driver's Championship, or vice versa Vettel won't be giving Webber an inch if he tries to pass. So....I expect to see either Vettel moving aside to enable Webber winning it all, or Webber and Vettel crashing one or both of themselves out in their attempt to win it all. Should be really interesting.
I guess... but why put yourself in that situation? <--- I'm not really asking you, just sayin'.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GG06MR
Well said, that very well could happen. Either way its going to be fun to watch.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:57 AM
Former Sponsor

its funny, we all make the assumption that vettel will be pole position and lead the race. theres no team orders needed is webber busts his ***** and gets pole and leads out the race
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

I guess... but why put yourself in that situation? <--- I'm not really asking you, just sayin'.
Multiple reasons that I can think of, but most likely to keep their young superstar happy and looking forward to driving at RBR for many more years to come. Lets be honest, whether they say it or not, Vettel is their #1 driver and future of that team, so they're not going to hinder his chances of winning the WDC until they absolutely have no other choice. Like I said, they're not going to tell Vettel to let Webber go by until Vettel has no statistical chance of winning the WDC. Until then, go get 'em kid. We believe in you.

Quick Reply: Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1