Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2010, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What happened to the good ol days of the Schumacher punt? It was effecient, sound, and best of all, fully supported by F1's grand supremo Bernie Czar.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GG06MR
Some quick math for statistical comparison.....

Avg. finish over 18 races:

Alonso = 5.33
Webber = 5.94
Vettel = 6.27
Hamilton = 6.67

If you take out the DNF's for failures and/or wrecks that knocked each of them out of the points, then average finish becomes:

Vettel = 3.00
Hamilton = 3.14
Webber = 3.75
Alonso = 4.41

Regardless of how things end in Abu Dhabi, don't those 2nd set of numbers seem to be a more accurate representation of driver performance so far this season?
Interesting...but some of the DNF for the RB's were at or very near the front which would have resulted in 1- 3 position if they had finished...the others by contrast, I think, were further back when they DNF'ed but I am not sure of this. If true, then the dnf means underestimate the the true driving potential/standings of RB drivers...can U shed any light on this?

Later, Ken
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Some quick math for statistical comparison.....

Avg. finish over 18 races:

Alonso = 5.33
Webber = 5.94
Vettel = 6.27
Hamilton = 6.67

If you take out the DNF's for failures and/or wrecks that knocked each of them out of the points, then average finish becomes:

Vettel = 3.00
Hamilton = 3.14
Webber = 3.75
Alonso = 4.41

Regardless of how things end in Abu Dhabi, don't those 2nd set of numbers seem to be a more accurate representation of driver performance so far this season?
If you're going to take out DNFs, then IMO you should only take out DNFs where the driver is NOT at fault. So a couple of Vettel's DNFs would be removed, but a couple of them would stand. I would add Button to that list as well, as he had two DNFs due to no fault of his own.

l8r)
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:05 AM
Evolved Member

Russian Bear Movin in

As I indicated earlier, I think Petrov is history at Renault. But, and I am sticking my neck out here, I now think he will get a seat at Marussia Virgin Racing in '11'. Since Marrussia motors has just come up with >50% of the costs, ergo the new name for Virgin, the top share holder is now anxious to look totally Russian by having a Russian driver and that is why I am predicting this team to be Petrov's new seat. It is true there R lots of Russian drivers out there but I think Petrov's significant Russian financial backing pretty much ensures he will get the seat...U NO germans driving for german owned car companys, japanese drivers for japenese car companys (Honda, Toyota when they existed), etc....Ued think this, "My country has better drivers than URs and therefore we R a better country than Urs...nah, nah" thing would have died by now...and " no religion to"...maybe someday..

Later, Ken
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KPerez
Interesting...but some of the DNF for the RB's were at or very near the front which would have resulted in 1- 3 position if they had finished...the others by contrast, I think, were further back when they DNF'ed but I am not sure of this. If true, then the dnf means underestimate the the true driving potential/standings of RB drivers...can U shed any light on this?

Later, Ken
I seriously just took 10-15 minutes to add up actual results/finish position for each of the top 4 drivers, and then divided by the number of races, and then did the same for each by taking out the DNF's and results where the car broke and/or a wreck knocked them out of the top 10 points positions. Obviously not the best statistical analysis out there, but I thought it looked pretty accurate as far as actual driver performance/speed this season when you take out the DNF's/wrecks/failures.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
If you're going to take out DNFs, then IMO you should only take out DNFs where the driver is NOT at fault. So a couple of Vettel's DNFs would be removed, but a couple of them would stand. I would add Button to that list as well, as he had two DNFs due to no fault of his own.

l8r)
You're right, but I wasn't really interested in sitting down and analyzing everything out to determine what did and didn't count towards the results. Just wanted to do something quick and easy.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

As soon as I saw that Lotus story, I thought to myself, looks as if Vitaly's gonna stay in F1.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 03:43 AM
Evolved Member

Engine Reliability

We all NO the top four contenders are running on refurbished engines (http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...-dhabi-engines ) so, like Vettel and Weber's overheating recently, they can loose an engine, with Alonso doing same. There is one driver up there though that has a new one for this race...and that is Kubica...and if Heidfelds comments some days ago are correct, namely a refurbished engine is down in power relative to a new one, then be on the lookout for Kubica to very strongly in the mix at the top...he hasn't won one yet so this is his best shot at a podium finish for the year...he has nothing to loose so he will be giving it >100%.

Later, Ken
Old Nov 12, 2010, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
We all NO the top four contenders are running on refurbished engines (http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...-dhabi-engines ) so, like Vettel and Weber's overheating recently, they can loose an engine, with Alonso doing same. There is one driver up there though that has a new one for this race...and that is Kubica...and if Heidfelds comments some days ago are correct, namely a refurbished engine is down in power relative to a new one, then be on the lookout for Kubica to very strongly in the mix at the top...he hasn't won one yet so this is his best shot at a podium finish for the year...he has nothing to loose so he will be giving it >100%.

Later, Ken
If anything that just bodes well for the chances that he'll get in the mix and help Vettel and/or Webber by getting in the way of Alonso and them. With Hamilton setting the pace in the 2nd practice, I'm feeling more and more confident that Alonso won't qualify higher than 4th, so it's up to Hamilton, Button, Kubica, etc. to get in the way of him winning his 3rd championship. You know what I'd REALLY like to see is Schumacher somehow get in front of him at the start and just completely jack up Alonso's race. That would be some funny and ironic ish.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

If anything that just bodes well for the chances that he'll get in the mix and help Vettel and/or Webber by getting in the way of Alonso and them. With Hamilton setting the pace in the 2nd practice, I'm feeling more and more confident that Alonso won't qualify higher than 4th, so it's up to Hamilton, Button, Kubica, etc. to get in the way of him winning his 3rd championship. You know what I'd REALLY like to see is Schumacher somehow get in front of him at the start and just completely jack up Alonso's race. That would be some funny and ironic ish.
U R evil...I have no love for either of them...if this happens i.e., Ferrari gets nothing,then I would like to be a fly on the wall during the wake Motezemillo, Ferrari Pres. has after the race...he is such an A-hole.

Later, Ken

Last edited by KPerez; Nov 13, 2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Obviously it's not looking great for Vettel with Alonso qualifying 3rd, and even worse for Webber after he qualified 5th, but I think this just goes to show that RBR was smart to not put all of their eggs into the proverbial Webber basket. I simply can not wait to see Hamilton, Alonso, Button, and Webber going into that 1st corner!!!
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I simply can not wait to see Hamilton, Alonso, Button, and Webber going into that 1st corner!!!
That IS going to be exciting, hopefully they don't take each other out.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could Vettel be the spoiler!?!?!?!?!
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

how funny the last 3 formula one champions finished on the podium. well i wanted hamilton to win but theres no doubt vettel is an exceptional driver and a force to be reckoned with. and did anyone see the podium ceremony with hamilton spitting out the citrus fizzy drink after he drank it?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 09:12 AM
Former Sponsor

race was boring, but i was on the edge of my seat the entire time!!!! congrats to vettel! hard lunch for alonso, and webber didn't look to be trying very hard.

Quick Reply: Official 2010 Formula One Discussion F1