Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2010 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2010, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spool_sample
Yeah, most of the bushings on the Evo are pretty stout to begin with. I'm going to change the trailing arm bushings and install the rear bumpsteer kit for next year, as well as some rear diff bushings to get the diff to stop clunking on 1-2 shifts. For the most part, though, they are a "nice-to-have" and if you're starting from scratch, there is more bang-for-the-buck stuff out there to get first.

As I interpret it, removing the pill isn't legal, but IMO, it's a non-issue since it can be driven around. My car saw about 80+ launches last season (including the Toledo Pro) and the pill rarely interfered with them. Co-drivers had issues with the pill "kicking in", but I'm not worried about them. These were also launches off the 5000rpm factory standstill limiter.

It's a little extra insurance, too, since I would much rather melt a clutch if I screw up a launch instead of busting a t-case or diff. That's the reason it's there, and it sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

FWIW, this is all with the factory stock clutch with 11k on it and it's still holding strong. I don't daily the car, and I don't play nice with it nearly as much anymore, so I think that's pretty good.

Good to know about the bushings. Are you referring to other suspension components and power adders as the "better bang for the buck" parts first?

I didn't think the pill removal was legal either, but it's always good to ask to make sure. So, are you tuned for a two step, or are you just using the factory rev limiter? It's also good to know the clutch is lasting that long on yours. A few people I've talked to said the downside of STU was frequent clutch replacement.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mr. happy
Good to know about the bushings. Are you referring to other suspension components and power adders as the "better bang for the buck" parts first?
For STU, the two biggest improvements are going to be

1) Getting the right tire
2) Good coilovers. Don't be cheap. $1200 JDM units are not going to be in the same class as something from Koni or Ohlins. Obviously Rick likes his Bilsteins. The list is pretty short, really.

It's also good to know the clutch is lasting that long on yours. A few people I've talked to said the downside of STU was frequent clutch replacement.
In 4 seasons of STU, I went through two clutches. It's not _that_ bad. However I had two things going for me. I didn't pro solo, ever. I also live at 6000'. At 3500 RPM, I made 100 ft.lbs less than everybody else here (except Russ).

d
Old Feb 2, 2010, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

So, are you tuned for a two step, or are you just using the factory rev limiter?
Factory limiter works just fine for me on most surfaces. I was having trouble with bogging the car at the Toledo Pro on concrete, which 2-step might have helped, but I think part of that was lack of power overall (car had only a catback and drop-in then). IIRC, Corey R, Anthony D, Cy, and Nick M were all spinning all 4 wheels on the launch while I politely bogged away from the tree.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

I am thinking of trying my 2010 Evo X in SCCA class autocross. Where do you think this car is best suited? STU, BS, BSP?

I am not afraid to mod the car, as it will be part of what we offer here at the shop.
I bought the car primarily for big track days and possibly Timeattack, so I may roll the rear fenders to fit the 10.5 wheels. Does this automatically exclude me from a class other than stock?

I have campaigned a ITR for 7 years in stock class, so the recipe was easy before.

What route do you recommend that I take? Which class will the X be competitive in......if at all, as I haven't seen many at the national events.

Thansk guys
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've read the 2009 thread about 2 days ago, but it's a lot of info to digest at once I think the main thing I'm curious about is the clutch line restrictor and I don't remember seeing anything in the 09 thread. I'll have to dig up the 08 thread and read through that as well.

I visted Rick's website, but didn't see parts for the EVO. Maybe I'm just blind.
Sorry the website is not current yet, send me your email address to rjung*at*cirodesign*dot*com, and I'll send out our pdf Evo race parts sheet.

Rick

As far as clutches, if you do Pros you just need to budget a for one each season like tires.
Find a local guy who can learn the Evo install. My installer does it in 1/2 day for $400. Also heat is what kills the disc material. I don't do multiple ProSolo practice starts anymore. I once did 6 in a row w/o much cool down and killed a new disc.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BBQman
I am thinking of trying my 2010 Evo X in SCCA class autocross. Where do you think this car is best suited? STU, BS, BSP?

I am not afraid to mod the car, as it will be part of what we offer here at the shop.
I bought the car primarily for big track days and possibly Timeattack, so I may roll the rear fenders to fit the 10.5 wheels. Does this automatically exclude me from a class other than stock?

I have campaigned a ITR for 7 years in stock class, so the recipe was easy before.

What route do you recommend that I take? Which class will the X be competitive in......if at all, as I haven't seen many at the national events.

Thansk guys
I would totally do BSP, where the heavier more powerfull X can take advantage of 285s or 305s AND increased boost. 245s on a modded X is stupid.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
Sorry the website is not current yet, send me your email address to rjung*at*cirodesign*dot*com, and I'll send out our pdf Evo race parts sheet.

Rick

As far as clutches, if you do Pros you just need to budget a for one each season like tires.
Find a local guy who can learn the Evo install. My installer does it in 1/2 day for $400. Also heat is what kills the disc material. I don't do multiple ProSolo practice starts anymore. I once did 6 in a row w/o much cool down and killed a new disc.
Sent the email

There is a local guy that even has a jig made up for clutch changes in an Evo so I should be set
Old Feb 4, 2010, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Who would that be Mr. Happy?? I had spoke to ShepTrans that people strongly recommend here psuedo-locally, and he said $400 for the install as well.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
I would totally do BSP, where the heavier more powerfull X can take advantage of 285s or 305s AND increased boost. 245s on a modded X is stupid.

Indeed, I forgot that we were limited to 245s in STU.

In BS, do you think the car has a chance at Tour events? I suspect the answer is no.

If I go BSP, what mods are essential, aside from wide wheels, A6s, brakes and cat back. These are already planned.
I will upgrade the ecu, but it seems that there is no consensus on who has the best program.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

In BS, do you think the car has a chance at Tour events? I suspect the answer is no.
It MIGHT be okay in BS for ProSolos, but that's a big maybe. You would have a significant launch advantage on the S2Ks, but that's about the only advantage you'd have as far as BS goes. If the course is really transitional, it'll be an uphill battle.

No chance at Tours, though...
Old Feb 4, 2010, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spool_sample
It MIGHT be okay in BS for ProSolos, but that's a big maybe. You would have a significant launch advantage on the S2Ks, but that's about the only advantage you'd have as far as BS goes. If the course is really transitional, it'll be an uphill battle.

No chance at Tours, though...
I wouldn't say that. There's always a chance. It's just heavy and camber limited when compared to fast BS cars like the s2000. If it rains, all bets are off.

d
Old Feb 4, 2010, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Indeed, I forgot that we were limited to 245s in STU.

If I go BSP, what mods are essential, aside from wide wheels, A6s, brakes and cat back. These are already planned.
I will upgrade the ecu, but it seems that there is no consensus on who has the best program.
From what I've seen, the X is slower stock than an 8 or 9, so no.

Prob don't need brakes.

First:
Wheels and tires
Coil-overs, sway(s)
Tune
Full exhaust

Later:
Battery
Seats
Front pads
intake filter
Old Feb 4, 2010, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Also, depending on your area, you should look into your fuel options. All of the BSP Evos in the SF Bay Area run e85. The one Evo X makes about 340whp/340wtq, but the VIIIs and IXs make around 375whp/360-370wtq. You'll need the power to be competitive in BSP.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RJones
Also, depending on your area, you should look into your fuel options. All of the BSP Evos in the SF Bay Area run e85. The one Evo X makes about 340whp/340wtq, but the VIIIs and IXs make around 375whp/360-370wtq. You'll need the power to be competitive in BSP.
BSP allows you to increase fuel capacity. STU does not. The OE injectors and fuel pump are not sufficient for E85, even with near stock boost levels.

d

PS: For any of you are going to the the Texas tour or Nats in Lincoln, I'm looking for a ride/codrive. I can split costs and I bring tire sponsorship along.

Last edited by donour; Feb 8, 2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 06:09 PM

A question for you experienced STU folks: Am I allowed to adjust the factory rev-limiter?

All I can find is this:

14.10.F.1
Reprogrammed ECU (via hardware and/or software) may be used in the standard housing.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2010 STU Discussion