Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2010 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess we should start the 2011 thread with this, but the STAC/SEB are dropping more takebacks:

STREET TOURING
- In light of further member input received since its prior meeting, and per the unanimous recommendation of the STAC, the
SEB has reconsidered its earlier decision and is recommending the following change to the BOD, effective 1/1/2011:
- Delete 14.2.F

Current rule:

F. Addition of spoilers, splitters, body kits, rear wings and nonfunctional
scoops/vents is allowed. The intent of this allowance is to accommodate
commonly available appearance kits, and replicas thereof, which
have no signifi cant aerodynamic function at Solo speeds. Body kits
are limited to bumper covers (including modifi ed OE bumper covers),
valances, side skirts, and fender fl ares. Standard parts may not be
removed except for the substitution of spoilers, rear wings, bumper
covers and valances. Rear wings must attach only aft of the rear
wheel centerline.
The allowances regarding wings and spoilers only allow swapping
like for like if the original device was not an OE option as confi gured
by the factory, i.e. a spoiler for a spoiler or a wing for a wing. If a
vehicle is available without a wing or spoiler from the manufacturer
then either can be installed.
Surface area of all splitters, spoilers and rear wing (see 12.9) shall
not exceed 5 square feet in sum total. Substitution of rear spoilers
or wings must retain any original third brake light functionality unless
otherwise equipped. No underbody panels may be added or substituted.
The drilling of holes for the purpose of mounting these pieces
is permitted.

New, modified 14.2.C:

- Modify 14.2.C to read as follows:
“C. Factory rub strips, emblems, mud flaps, wings, bolt on front valance lips/spoilers, and fog lights (except those
integral to a headlight or turn signal) may be removed. Rear wings may be removed so long as the vehicle retains
any federally-mandated third brake light.”

Thoughts? Opinions? I know of more than a few that will not like that one.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Take backs suck, but this is one rule I am not sad to see gone. The wings and aero mods were beginning to get significant at solo speeds which was against the spirit of the class. It was starting to become the must have mod to keep your car competitive. From my understanding it benefited lighter cars (eg: Civics and Miatas) more than heavier cars (EVOs and STis) ...
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

Congrats Chris (fsmtnbiker) for the cover of SportsCar!!!
Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Take backs suck, but this is one rule I am not sad to see gone. The wings and aero mods were beginning to get significant at solo speeds which was against the spirit of the class. It was starting to become the must have mod to keep your car competitive. From my understanding it benefited lighter cars (eg: Civics and Miatas) more than heavier cars (EVOs and STis) ...
Not pickin on you Playa, I've just heard those words from other peeps too, but a "must have mod" in Stock is Hoosiers, a "must have mod" in ST is a Civic (lol), how can a line be drawn? Can’t go around and start banning 'must have' parts that turn out to make people faster/competitive.
Your right, xxlbs of down force on lightweight cars (i.e. civics, etc) is much more affective than on our 3100+lbs cars.

It’s futile to fight to get this rule back, too many small car people don’t want wings. I'd like a rule proposed to see if we can get body kits and smaller sq ft wings in STU, say, single element only. I run my wing for looks only (aluminum single element) and don’t want to give up how killer my car looks. It'd be nice to have/show some individuality with our cars.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No problemo Geoff, no offense taken. Open and transparant discussion is always a good thing IMHO. Personally, I made a pitch for reducing the size of wings to 2sq.ft or something a lot smaller than 5sq.ft with crazy angle of attacks. That way wings would then possibly have little to no aerodynamic function at Solo speeds as per the spirit of the rules. But I am sure the SEB and STAC did a lot of research and discussion before they came to their conclusion.

I guess we won't be seeing anymore park benches.
Hey from what I hear ST Civics are going to be the must have mod for STX and STU.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Autoxevo
Thanks! I was really surprised/excited when I checked the mail. Heh!

As far as wings go... Well, you can see how much I thought it was worth on an SM car.

In all seriousness, I'm sure the wings do something. I tested one on my M3 back in STU and it definitely changed how the car drove, but I didn't ever find a way that I thought that the aero benefits would pay off the increase in weight/drag. Plus, on my car, it looked terrible.

I don't like that they completely eliminated all body kits (and, as Geoff pointed out, any chance at having a unique vehicle.) *shrug* I guess I'll just wait and see what happens next season. My M3 will probably be back in STU trim, or maybe better... Not sure yet what I'm driving. I have a ride in an STR S2000, which also sounds very interesting.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Autoxevo
Got my copy last night, good write-ups on STU and STUL, I think Rhoades captured the scrappy'ness of the battle at the top pretty well, in both classes...

and what was the quote in the ProSolo article? "Geoff gives Yokohama a victory to brag about".. or something like that, made me chuckle.. (wouldn't it be nice if they actually paid for Pro's... oh well)
Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Congrats on the SportsCar cover Chris! Nice shot too.

I agree with Geoff on wings. We fought hard to keep them, as they make sense for the newer cars, like in STR and STU. Also in terms of needing a wing to win at Nats, how many of the 10 ST class winners had an aftermarket wing? Answer is only one car, and Ken in STR did it by driving better.

I was hoping revision in the rules to allow for a single element 4sq ft allowance, along with a small splitter. We're working with APR on a new 9" chord straight-profile motorsports wing, that would be awesome for track use. There may still be hope for a wing allowance yet, as it needs to be passed by the SEB and BOD first.

Rick
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any chance any of the BSP/FP/SM Evo guys are watching this thread? Considering joining the STU ranks for 2011, but am in need of a FMIC and front undertray (bought car w/o either of those items there or stock). Thought maybe a fellow SCCA driver would make it advantageous for me to consider getting competitive again outside the region/division.

And who is starting the 2011 STU thread as well?
Old Dec 28, 2010, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, I'm looking for a 2011 STU thread to read while I'm stuck in the sandbox!

I will have less than half a season to run in 2011 (with my dead-stock car) but I'll be thinking about what to tinker with for 2012. :-)