Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Helmet question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2010, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Galant VR-4 #34
lol did you not just read the bulletin pasted above? it does not mention accidental deployment (which I suppose could happen) as the reason, it talks only of the possible injury to the jaw-and as you can see it does not mention broken necks. FIA approves my seat and harnesses but I dont really see a need to question them on those items so why question them when the recommend disconnecting the air bag?

Oh well, I tried, Marty
I assume you are referring to me? Yes, I did read the bulletin. Did you not read what I wrote about multiple variables such as seat height, distance, etc.? I agreed that a jaw injury could happen if conditions are right but entertained the idea that it may not happen under all conditions.

I did not imply any disagreement about disconnecting the air bag - I even asked if there is a way to do it in a different way such as pulling the fuse for the whole system.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
here is a same, the SRS must be disconnected in racing, the reasons why is where we differ.
I can see also to get a jaw injury under extreme circumstances. No broken neck unless you are drive a bench seat car...
But i can see more often bigger injury on the face with open helmet then closed in the same situation.
Broken windshield etc. Not to mention fire.

Rob
Old Jan 22, 2010, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Arai desapointed you? Man that sucks, either way I say Shoei street bike helmet!
Old Jan 22, 2010, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Lowso
Arai desapointed you? Man that sucks, either way I say Shoei street bike helmet!
i dont thnk the street bike helmet qualify in auto racing
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

any OK enough helmet that is less than or around 120?
im new to track and stuff, when i looking at online, i don't even know if they are approved....
thanks
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by love67
any OK enough helmet that is less than or around 120?
im new to track and stuff, when i looking at online, i don't even know if they are approved....
thanks
Look for the rating and any SA2005 rated helmet is fine. Most clubs or events even take SA2000 helmets which was the previous standard. If your looking to save money SA2000 will get you in most events but after next year you will probably not be able to use it since most clubs only let you use up to one rating year below. A new standard comes out every five years. When SA2010 comes out later this year most places probably wont take SA2000 anymore.

Last edited by rcheung; Feb 4, 2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
this is considered a bike helmet, but

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...px?sst=RR|1759
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, that IS a bike (motorcycle) helmet - it's rated M2005.

Real automotive racing sanctioning bodies will not allow non-SA2000/2005 helmets for on-track use. SCCA *does* allow M, SA & K-rated helmets for auto-x use but not for Solo-1 - where an SA-rated bucket is required.

Check with your specific sanctioning bodies to see exactly what they will allow. All automotive racing bodies will accept SA helmets.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

sometime i see this M2005, i saw from some post said that M is for bike, but will it be fine with auto track?
and what if they just said it's snell approved, will it be fine? or have to be in some rate?
btw, i only want to track for fun, last time i sit on my fds car, and i don't see that they are checking the helmet tho.

Last edited by love67; Feb 4, 2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by love67
sometime i see this M2005, i saw from some post said that M is for bike, but will it be fine with auto track?
and what if they just said it's snell approved, will it be fine? or have to be in some rate?
btw, i only want to track for fun, last time i sit on my fds car, and i don't see that they are checking the helmet tho.
It depends on the club you run with. M2005 is fine for Solo2 and some track events. I made the mistake of buying only an M2005 since I was only going to autocross but had to buy another helmet (SA2005) when I started doing track events.

BTW, it doesn't matter if you are serious or just doing it "for fun". You wont be able to pass tech inspection on some events if you dont have at least an SA2000 helmet.

Last edited by rcheung; Feb 4, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

i guess my budget that i can get is open face helmet, but i really want a full face tho...
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Q15H
Yes, that IS a bike (motorcycle) helmet - it's rated M2005.

Real automotive racing sanctioning bodies will not allow non-SA2000/2005 helmets for on-track use. SCCA *does* allow M, SA & K-rated helmets for auto-x use but not for Solo-1 - where an SA-rated bucket is required.

Check with your specific sanctioning bodies to see exactly what they will allow. All automotive racing bodies will accept SA helmets.
Yes I use this for autocross
Old Feb 4, 2010, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Yes I use this for autocross
That's fine with SCCA for Solo-II, or auto-x to some. But it would not be allowed at any SCCA-sanctioned track event - Only Snell SA-rated helmets.

My personal advice if you're gonna buy a helmet?

1. If you ride a motorcycle get a full-face M-rated helmet and use it ONLY on the bike.

2. If you have an open (formula), non-windscreen car or a rag-top car get an SA-rated full-face helmet. Keep several new and different colors of visors for the helmet too. They get scratched and become worthless quickly.

3. If you only drive in closed (full body) cars with proper windshields, then get an open-face helmet. Much easier to talk with a passenger or instructor while in the car.

Optional for all of the above (except the motorcycle): get the helmet equipped with a HANS device. Only some USA sanctioning bodies, and very few clubs currently require them, but they are really the next level in safety equipment and I expect them to be required for everything [except auto-x] in the next five years. If you drive in a fast enough group to even consider window netting, then you NEED a HANS device.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Q15H
That's fine with SCCA for Solo-II, or auto-x to some. But it would not be allowed at any SCCA-sanctioned track event - Only Snell SA-rated helmets.

My personal advice if you're gonna buy a helmet?

1. If you ride a motorcycle get a full-face M-rated helmet and use it ONLY on the bike.

2. If you have an open (formula), non-windscreen car or a rag-top car get an SA-rated full-face helmet. Keep several new and different colors of visors for the helmet too. They get scratched and become worthless quickly.

3. If you only drive in closed (full body) cars with proper windshields, then get an open-face helmet. Much easier to talk with a passenger or instructor while in the car.

Optional for all of the above (except the motorcycle): get the helmet equipped with a HANS device. Only some USA sanctioning bodies, and very few clubs currently require them, but they are really the next level in safety equipment and I expect them to be required for everything [except auto-x] in the next five years. If you drive in a fast enough group to even consider window netting, then you NEED a HANS device.
thanks for the good advice -

i'm not a big helmet person, but out of curiosity, what is it that differentiates these ratings? Is there some characteristic about the helmet?

You would think that a helmet you use outside, on a motorcycle, would be safe enough for anything while you're inside a car, unless it's for some sort of compressing force that these sa2005 helmets also are built for
Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, i wonder that too, isn't support bike helmet should need to be stronger than auto helmet?
SA rate helmet is so crazy expensive.... and open face helmet is ugly and makes me feel not as safe as full face....

Quick Reply: Helmet question