Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

The Ultimate Track OIL Temp / Pressure / Starvation Thread!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Quality of the heat exchanger makes a difference too. Setrab or bust IMO.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
gotcha - yea the map one is setrab. how much larger is it than stock? map doesn't publish the dimensions of their setrab unit
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:21 AM
EvoM Guru

It's larger, it also has more rows (they're spaced closer together than stock).
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
It's larger, it also has more rows (they're spaced closer together than stock).
ok. sounds like stock fitment/direct bolt on at least. will give it a shot!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
MAP one helped my car. Maintains oil temp <210*. Prior oil temp date was the oil got so hot, the oil pressure light would come on at idle when idling after a session (no actual temp date lol).
Your car also makes way more power than Sam's and you're in Vegas. Im not saying the MAP kit isn't better I too wanted a Setrab core hence why I grabbed their setup but I'd think the stock unit would be fine for a basic bolt on evo, no?

What do you consider is too high of an oil temp? On my car just from auto-x Ive seen upwards of 260 in the pan which seems quite high especially for auto-x. But its also way more power than Sam's car and while runs are fairly short its a lot of high revs and less airflow.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:30 AM
EvoM Guru

I had to make mine fit by modifying one of the MAP brackets, and making another bracket myself. Others don't seem to have that issue, so IDK what the deal was.

As for what's needed, Sam's car probably doesn't need it. I think 260 is too hot, and a cooling solution should be looked into, like a cooler upgrade.

Temp reduction in my car likely also came from adding a 7qt oil pan. When my car was having the oil coming on after a session, it was "only" a 90* day. It was a similar 85-90* when I got to put the new pan and cooler to the test.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Your car also makes way more power than Sam's and you're in Vegas. Im not saying the MAP kit isn't better I too wanted a Setrab core hence why I grabbed their setup but I'd think the stock unit would be fine for a basic bolt on evo, no?

What do you consider is too high of an oil temp? On my car just from auto-x Ive seen upwards of 260 in the pan which seems quite high especially for auto-x. But its also way more power than Sam's car and while runs are fairly short its a lot of high revs and less airflow.
i guess what i'm figuring is, it can only help. i just want to bang out all these cooling solutions and make the car bulletproof
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah Sean you mentioned issues with it not bolting up correctly. Thats a bummer but honestly the least of my concerns as I might even consider moving it to the front granted Ill need new hoses. Either way for the price I paid I would have been on the same boat just buying the core and fittings separately so no brainier to me.

I agree 260 seems quite hot. Its not like I saw that all the time but on warmer days with a few runs in a row it would keep creeping up.

But to your point additional oil capacity will help keeps temps lower in the sense that itll take longer to heat it up. But at the same time also would take longer to cool back down I'd think. Hopefully the oil cooler will help some too but that was strictly purchased since i needed a new one.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Yeah Sean you mentioned issues with it not bolting up correctly. Thats a bummer but honestly the least of my concerns as I might even consider moving it to the front granted Ill need new hoses. Either way for the price I paid I would have been on the same boat just buying the core and fittings separately so no brainier to me.

I agree 260 seems quite hot. Its not like I saw that all the time but on warmer days with a few runs in a row it would keep creeping up.

But to your point additional oil capacity will help keeps temps lower in the sense that itll take longer to heat it up. But at the same time also would take longer to cool back down I'd think. Hopefully the oil cooler will help some too but that was strictly purchased since i needed a new one.

Additional capacity/baffled pan is multiple factors in keeping oil cool. Hot oil goes into a larger reservoir of not as hot oil, so heat is disbursed. More oil means more oil stays in the pan, so it aerates more slowly, making less heat since the pump is pumping oil, not foam. And the baffles keep the pickup covered, so there is no starvation. Starvation makes parts hot, and when those hot parts finally get oil, more heat goes into the oil.

Originally Posted by kyoo
i guess what i'm figuring is, it can only help. i just want to bang out all these cooling solutions and make the car bulletproof
There is such a thing as too much cooling. You should monitor oil and water temps before upgrading.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

ugh if sean didn't do it right i've got no hope

re: oil temp - 260 is way too high. was that before the install?

fwiw, oil viscosities are quoted at 100c, aka 212, which is their operating temp. at 126c, bound to be way thinner, way less protection.

zero harm in adding a cooler methinks
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

i.e., you think it could keep the oil "too" cool, in the sense that it would run below operating temp?

i've got a pretty wide range of racing, anywhere from 40degrees at an autox to 100degrees on a track.

if the oil is cooler it will be thicker but beyond that, at hard running there's no way it would be below operating temps
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:03 AM
EvoM Guru

My car takes 20-25 minutes of driving to get to 150* oil temps when it's cool out, below 150 I try to keep RPM below 4k, and stay mostly out of boost. 150* is where I'm comfortable starting to push it a bit to get it up to 180 so I can send it. Like I said, you're better off monitoring temps, and going from there as opposed to blindly upgrading. I've learned a lot since previous posts in here, and oil temp should be below 250* and its fine.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

I think what he's saying is too much cooling also isnt good hence why its best to warm up the vehicle and all the components before really getting on it. I agree 260 is too bot but I wasnt seeing that all the time but there were cases where it would get up that high mostly from reruns on warmer days.

This was on the stock cooler btw the Setrab is sitting in its box with a pile of other parts that are slowly accumulating.

And Sean failing for it to fit right wasnt a function of Sean's abilities. It either fits or it doesnt lol.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

sure - but i really don't have any concerns warming up my car before driving. each autox site is about 30 minutes from me. the one i go to aside from locals is 3 hours from me, and the road course i like is 4.5 hours from me. car generates a lot of heat fast, i don't think the oil is ever going to be under operating temp honestly
Old Dec 14, 2017, 01:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Until the car sits for 2hrs while you're working the course....lol

Quick Reply: The Ultimate Track OIL Temp / Pressure / Starvation Thread!