Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

The Ultimate Track OIL Temp / Pressure / Starvation Thread!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 09:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
The 3/8" port is plenty big. A sandwich plate will lower the filter an inch and you'll risk knocking it off going over curbs. I've seen it happen..

A baffled pan like Racefabor from Chad McCurdy and god cooler upgrade (make sure it uses a setrab core) is all you should bother with unless you go dry sump.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:25 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
A baffled pan like Racefabor from Chad McCurdy and god cooler upgrade (make sure it uses a setrab core) is all you should bother with unless you go dry sump.
With a custom pan and a Setrab oil cooler, I have a hard time getting my oil temp up to 160-180° during normal driving, except during the middle of summer. I have yet to see over 200° during hard driving (autox hot laps), though I haven't done a track day in 100°+ weather, yet. I credit both. They manage heat very well.
Vs the B&M kit I had. That thing was worse than OEM.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
With a custom pan and a Setrab oil cooler, I have a hard time getting my oil temp up to 160-180° during normal driving, except during the middle of summer. I have yet to see over 200° during hard driving (autox hot laps), though I haven't done a track day in 100°+ weather, yet. I credit both. They manage heat very well.
Vs the B&M kit I had. That thing was worse than OEM.
Details on the pan, and which Setrab cooler/setup/supplier?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Unfortunately MAP is the only company that makes an oil cooler kit with the setrab cooler. I use it, but reluctantly. I've had to modify their brackets on every single one I've installed.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
I have an AMS kit. It uses a Derale cooler. Same size as Setrab and almost as good of quality for half the price. I've had zero issues with oil temp with it to date.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
^Interesting, I didnt realize the AMS kit uses a Derale core. They certainly look the same minus the silver vs black. The MAP kit appears to be a copy of the AMS kit as far as brackets are concerned. Personally I went with the MAP kit as I wanted a Setrab core and I got a pretty sweet deal on it too I might add, as in couldn't have sourced the core and lines and fittings for less than I paid for the complete kit. And yes as Sean mentioned the brackets they provide were close but not quite right and required some trimming to get it to sit perfect and proper. But once again can't complain bc overall its a nice kit.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
+1 for map/setrab. i didn't really have any fitment issues for the mounts, i had some leaking issues with the lines until they provided a set of lines with cone washers inside the fittings, first i've ever seen that
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:19 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by GG06MR
Details on the pan, and which Setrab cooler/setup/supplier?
I had someone make the pan. 6.5ish quarts, give or take with trap doors blah blah. Similar to RaceFab's pans. The cooler setup is the one mentioned below

Unfortunately MAP is the only company that makes an oil cooler kit with the setrab cooler. I use it, but reluctantly. I've had to modify their brackets on every single one I've installed.
Originally Posted by heel2toe
^Interesting, I didnt realize the AMS kit uses a Derale core. They certainly look the same minus the silver vs black. The MAP kit appears to be a copy of the AMS kit as far as brackets are concerned. Personally I went with the MAP kit as I wanted a Setrab core and I got a pretty sweet deal on it too I might add, as in couldn't have sourced the core and lines and fittings for less than I paid for the complete kit. And yes as Sean mentioned the brackets they provide were close but not quite right and required some trimming to get it to sit perfect and proper. But once again can't complain bc overall its a nice kit.
Mine fit without having to mod anything. I wonder what was different. Not complaining, of course.
The following users liked this post:
GG06MR (Apr 23, 2019)
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ayoustin
I have an AMS kit. It uses a Derale cooler. Same size as Setrab and almost as good of quality for half the price. I've had zero issues with oil temp with it to date.
The AMS kit uses a less expensive core that (as you admit) is not as good as the Setrab, yet is more expensive than the MAP kit with Setrab cooler. Makes sense.

Usually I trash on MAP pretty hard, but the oil cooler kit is the exception to that.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

It fit as is but did not fit well. I am **** about stuff like that so I wanted it to be perfect. Where the brackets bolt to the actual core there is a raised lip thingy, not sure what youd even call it. The brackets were hitting that lip and it was kinda cocked crooked some and was pulling on the other bracket too. Basically it would bolt up but it wasnt 100%. If you are detail oriented and have done enough parts installs and custom type work, its sorta to be expected. Really not a complaint but a simple revision would make it that much better.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

The AMS kit uses a less expensive core that (as you admit) is not as good as the Setrab, yet is more expensive than the MAP kit with Setrab cooler. Makes sense.

Usually I trash on MAP pretty hard, but the oil cooler kit is the exception to that.
Sean don't mean to speak on behalf of Austin but im pretty sure his car came with that already installed Otherwise you would be correct and are my thoughts exactly, haha
Old Apr 23, 2019, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
The 3/8" port is plenty big. A sandwich plate will lower the filter an inch and you'll risk knocking it off going over curbs. I've seen it happen..

I've spoken to Chad via facebook and he does these in his spare time and told me that he's so backed up with other projects that it will be months until he bothers making another batch. The New Zealand one is a little expensive yet unless another group buy gets up and running. I've considered buying some parts and a spare pan and cutting/tacking everything together to have a proper welder do the job but I really don't want yet another tedious job on my hands with this car.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 03:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Well, if you don't do a pan it's very likely you'll have the tedious job of rebuilding an engine to look forward to.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
i think

1) kiggly hla
2) crank slicer
3) baffled pan with added capacity

is pretty much what all tracked evos need to do at a minimum for oil starve prevention. the more grip/aero, the more alternatives that need to be explored. for my car, on street tires, ~300hp, and stock aero, i should be in good shape.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 04:23 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Turtletron
I've spoken to Chad via facebook and he does these in his spare time and told me that he's so backed up with other projects that it will be months until he bothers making another batch. The New Zealand one is a little expensive yet unless another group buy gets up and running. I've considered buying some parts and a spare pan and cutting/tacking everything together to have a proper welder do the job but I really don't want yet another tedious job on my hands with this car.
You could always offer my guy an obscene amount of money to do one more. At least the turn around time is only a few days.
😂

Quick Reply: The Ultimate Track OIL Temp / Pressure / Starvation Thread!