Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

The Ultimate Track OIL Temp / Pressure / Starvation Thread!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2013, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
I guess it's following the same principle of the drag design, extra oil in the opposite side of where the G's will take it. By drilling holes instead of taking out that section the wall is technically acting like a baffle, allowing adequate flow without sloshing, then when the car settles the oil drips back into the section, rinse and repeat. I'm about the run the AMS pan for the first time, but i'll go drysump past doing that.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy
I would think making the capacity as small as possible would work better since reducing the volume in the oil pan for fluid to slosh around? Isn't that what baffles does. Did you have to add baffles with that extra volume.
It seems as if you're thinking about the oil in a static situation. It's important to remember that while the car is cornering the pump continues to try to evacuate the oil from the sump while g-force tries to move the oil away from the pick-up. Less oil would make the situation far worse.

Baffles can serve many purposes, dependent on the design. Some baffles are merely obstacles that get in the way of the oil freely flowing, just to slow down the process of g-force moving it away from the pick-up, while others operate like trap doors storing extra oil in a chamber until the door swings open releasing the extra capacity when it is most needed. The AMS oil pan has a trap door baffle. The problem with a trap door baffle is that it is slower to fill the chamber than it is to empty it (because the door swings shut blocking the oil flow, oil then has to go over the door through a small passage), so that the recovery time between oil starvation events is increased.

Balrok, you are correct in regard to the holes and their effect on oil flow in and out of the new chamber, except that oil doesn't drip back in; oil flows just as freely in as it does out.

As I noted before, this absolutely works. Proven on TA-1 in competition. 1.8 g's with pressure data logged by our STACK system.

Last edited by toyracer; Sep 5, 2013 at 08:01 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old Feb 23, 2016, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
i run hoosier A6 on the track with stock oil pan. oil pressure used to drop to 40 psi during sustain right hand turns. after installing kiggly, oil pressure drop to 60 psi. i put about 100 track days on the car in the past 3 years. oil temp is usually 230-240 degree during summer.
obviously bumping an older thread but I'm noticing your experiences were much different than a lot of others who were seeing single digits in oil pressures, but you were on stock oil pan and no hla and were still seeing 40 - were you closer to stock at the time? Thanks for the data on the Kiggly HLA helping. Also, what oil weight were you using?

I'm looking into this for a near stock (300hp) evo with coilovers and RE71Rs, which are probably as grippy as r-comps from a decade ago.

The only thing I've got right now is the Kiggly HLA - wondering if this will be "enough" to sustain me through those long right handers - doing HPDEs, not actual "races"
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
obviously bumping an older thread but I'm noticing your experiences were much different than a lot of others who were seeing single digits in oil pressures, but you were on stock oil pan and no hla and were still seeing 40 - were you closer to stock at the time? Thanks for the data on the Kiggly HLA helping. Also, what oil weight were you using?

I'm looking into this for a near stock (300hp) evo with coilovers and RE71Rs, which are probably as grippy as r-comps from a decade ago.

The only thing I've got right now is the Kiggly HLA - wondering if this will be "enough" to sustain me through those long right handers - doing HPDEs, not actual "races"
you will see pressure drops.

I'll say it here like I did in the other thread.

ACCUSUMP.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

yeah, the car wasn't as developed 2 years ago as it is now. also im going by what the oil pressure gauge say, which might could be off a little.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOizmm
you will see pressure drops.

I'll say it here like I did in the other thread.

ACCUSUMP.
you don't think that'd be overkill for a car that sees 1-3 HPDEs a year and is pretty close to stock? I'm not saying I'm against it, just seems like much. I realize I'll still see drops with the Kiggly, not sure what warrants a "big enough" drop that I'd need to fix.

yeah, the car wasn't as developed 2 years ago as it is now. also im going by what the oil pressure gauge say, which might could be off a little.
Thanks for the input. My car's close to stock running stock boost levels, I am also looking into a thread on BITOG regarding our cars at high RPMs and how the oil behaves there as well
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
The fact that you're asking if it's necessary means you are concerned about it. So, you should run one because your concern is probably the expense of a rebuilt motor and install if you pop it because you didn't spend $800 on an accusump to prevent it.

Personally, I'm ok with losing a motor. I want to build a 2.2 and could use an excuse lol
Old Feb 23, 2016, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

lol! point taken.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
...I am also looking into a thread on BITOG regarding our cars at high RPMs and how the oil behaves there as well
Anything interesting there? Link?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...pics/2206204/1
Old Dec 2, 2017, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bumping this up, been thinking about oiling upgrades/track insurance for my all stock internal motor.

Based on what I've read, here are the most effective wet sump oil pressure upgrades... ranked. Please correct me:

1. Accusump
2. Racefab Baffled Pan
3. Kiggly HLA
4. AMS Baffled Pan
5. Bushur Baffled Pan
6. Crank Scraper Upgrades

Additions:
Oil pickup modifications?
Other "modified" pans?
Does 15w40 oil get a mention? I think this is more for the oil temp and viscosity concerns.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

the only thing I'd note is that you can do multiple things. everyone should be doing the kiggly and scraper imo. cheap and easy
Old Dec 2, 2017, 03:27 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by dave_evolvix
Bumping this up, been thinking about oiling upgrades/track insurance for my all stock internal motor.

Based on what I've read, here are the most effective wet sump oil pressure upgrades... ranked. Please correct me:

1. Accusump
2. Racefab Baffled Pan
3. Kiggly HLA
4. AMS Baffled Pan
5. Bushur Baffled Pan
6. Crank Scraper Upgrades

Additions:
Oil pickup modifications?
Other "modified" pans?
Does 15w40 oil get a mention? I think this is more for the oil temp and viscosity concerns.

I've had my oil pan modded (6.5L+ sump, trap doors), stock oil pickup, scraper, and HLA. Here is a shot of my car just before exiting Riverside @ BWRP. I was on 255 NT-01s, for reference. I'm at 5500ish RPM and 90-95mph, from what I can tell. Oil pressure is dang near 100psi. Well worth the cost and effort to do all that, IMO. I'm on the stock turbo and shotblock, so I run 5w40 oil:

Last edited by kaj; Dec 3, 2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the only thing I'd note is that you can do multiple things. everyone should be doing the kiggly and scraper imo. cheap and easy
I've seen some data-logging evidence for the Accusump (via RS Motors) and Baffled Oil Pan (via Balrok).

Not sure I've seen something solid for the Kiggly and the Scrapers, other than its very popular. Anybody have any datalogs that show increased oil pressure at high lateral gs (especially right hand) with Kiggly and or scrapers?

As for the scrapers... Dropping the pan and resealing it isn't easy IMO, if I take off the pan, I'd be inclined to modify it at the same time.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
There"s also the Tuff Customs pan, 8.5L capacity. They claim it works better than the RaceFab pan: https://ssmperformanceparts.com.au/p...-sump-evo-4-9/

Quick Reply: The Ultimate Track OIL Temp / Pressure / Starvation Thread!