Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2010 World Challenge GT Series

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 02:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no hope for North American Mitsubishi Motor's supporting motorsport. Subaru is clearly the winner on this continent. They found a winning formula after hiring Lance Armstrong to promote their cars. They are viewed as quality and up scale to the public while Mitsubishi is a bottom feeder. Until Mitsubishi changes their brand image I would not expect much respect from a professional race series. Win on Sunday sell on Monday....I don,t think they are listening.

Last edited by apex electric; Jan 28, 2010 at 02:37 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 02:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MATT@WORKS
I'm driving them this year... ...as well as the Camaro GT.R in Rolex for a couple races. It's a change being the biggest pony in a pony race!

The Volvos are VERY competitive. They have a massively powerful 5-cylinder, an awesome AWD system, and a great chassis and body platform. The Evo has a tiny 4-cylinder, a weak AWD system, and terrible aerodynamics. It did take a lot of money from K-Pax to get those Volvos competitive, but I feel it may take even more to make a decent Evo.

GS is the place to race for those cars. There was some political hacking that took place when NASCAR took over the series. Cars homologated before the buying of the series were allowed into GS, cars that were not are disallowed. The reason is that NASCAR is afraid of the need to deal with constant performance modifications with the Evo-- they're already quite busy with our Camaro, the Audi S4, and the Subaru WRX STi! They feel their effort to add an Evo to the mix won't be worth the relatively small demographic. This is why petitioning may bring a change, proving to GAC/NASCAR that the demographic is very large and active.
Your driving THE country's iconic race car? You lucky dog!! I was buying race fuel at a Sunoco distributer last summer and while in the office I commented on a old picture of Mark Donahue. Nobody in the office knew who he was ?
I was mad when, because of GM's defeat they never promoted the new Camaro racing against the Mustang. Will we see television commercials this summer? Best wishes with the ride! I hope who ever the owner is, that they let you charge. Drive fast take chances!
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

evos gonna be in GTS class now.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 04:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by apex electric
Your driving THE country's iconic race car? You lucky dog!! I was buying race fuel at a Sunoco distributer last summer and while in the office I commented on a old picture of Mark Donahue. Nobody in the office knew who he was ?
I was mad when, because of GM's defeat they never promoted the new Camaro racing against the Mustang. Will we see television commercials this summer? Best wishes with the ride! I hope who ever the owner is, that they let you charge. Drive fast take chances!
Thanks! We just had our first race with all the new cars and it was quite exciting having that many fans coming up to tell us how much they appreciate seeing the old Sunoco Camaros back on the track. You wanted us to charge? We charged! We had to start dead last (like 40-something-ith) and I worked my way up to 4th when Jeff got in. He then went from 12th (after a fuel stop) and made it all the way back to 5th where we finished. It was an awesome time. The car still struggles weighing in at roughly 3800lbs (!!!!!!) with fuel and driver.

It will be a great season for sure, excited for Homestead!
Old Feb 4, 2010, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

I wish I could have seen your race. Any chance the car will race at Lime Rock Park Memorial day? I wish they had a little box on my Sunoco gas card bill to donate money for the team!! Laugh! Great times ahead. Hope I can see the cars in person some time.
Anymore pictures?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 08:18 PM
Former Sponsor

I believe we WILL be back at Lime Rock on memorial day, just as always! I have a bunch of photos up on my facebook, but I'll upload them to flickr so others can see them! I'm still waiting for all the shots from all the photographers that were following us around... its amazing how many fans we have after just 1 race!!!

Edit:
So I guess I don't have any photos but those taken by my family. Kinda awkward, really. But here ya go, nonetheless...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/likesit...7623230449785/

...an intimate view of the weekend, including some shots of the ORIGINAL #6 Sunoco Camaro!

Last edited by MATT@WORKS; Feb 4, 2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 03:10 AM
Evolved Member

Better have some tee shirts for sale and photographs to sign when I see the Stevenson team on Memorial day weekend! Looking forward to hear the motor roar down the front straight! Lime Rock Memorial can have really big crowds on sunny days. With some good marketing there should be a big turnout to see the Camaro. I extend my help if you need someone local to help out. I would do the same for Mitsubishi if we ever see some determination on their part to go racing. Quite the operation at Daytona. Is Stevenson racing a family passion?
Old Feb 5, 2010, 09:17 AM
Former Sponsor

We will have plenty of shirts, hats, and hero cards available. Jeff Bucknum (the son of one of the original Sunoco Camaro drivers) is really taking this deal seriously and is currently making a whole line of new merchandise SPECIFICALLY for the Stevenson GS.R Camaro.

I love Memorial Day at LRP! I've been in the Turner trailer for the last 2 years and they have a HUGE fan base there. We'll see how the Camaro fans stack up. John Stevenson owns Stevenson Autogroup which a series of car dealerships. John LOVES racing, and loves helping young drivers (like myself) get a leg up in the industry. He's an amazing guy and he really makes the whole experience feel comfortable. The team is truly incredible and extremely professional, stop by at LRP and introduce yourself!
Old Feb 5, 2010, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Right On. I knew Will years ago when I ran the BMW driver schools at Lime Rock. He earned his spot in BMW racing. I remember when he was a BMW parts manager working for another company, then decided go on his own. Now he is making history!

Last edited by apex electric; Feb 5, 2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

IT's getting too hybrid. It should be specific cars allowed, with no chassis mods, but when some cars get too fast with the mods allowed, and they are NOT american, they get shoved oput so the Camaros etc dont get beaten by the 4cyl turbo'd cars. Sad, but true.

If you build you car to the rules and your berating the favourites you get mved out, or have rules written to exlcude you, which means all your effort has been for nil, that leaves a dull taste in the mouths.

A few years later the Audis were going major customs suepsnion pickup points etc, and then cadillacs showed up with the chassis cut down and the suspension pick-up points moved way up into the chassis, at that point the game was over for privateers. Or they went into Touring class.

Time to redo all therules back to what is available in the cars, and sequential transmission are not what is available in cadillacs etc.