Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Terrible HPDE Instructor

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2010, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
If he felt uncomfortable with how the person was driving, he should have said something and actually instructed him in how to improve it. Imagine how you'd feel if your math teacher just said "well your too stupid to teach so I'm going to leave and you can find yourself a new teacher".
Old Feb 6, 2010, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i have been next to a real track instructor /pro instructor in germany - and hungary . And i have in some in the US so far. Well the real guys has real racing back ground so as school to instruct. And that is make a night and day difference.
Just because you did run numerous times a the specific track or you run some low level race doesn't qualify you as an instructor in my opinion.
Which is clearly shows in this video and my experience with instructors in here/us/ so far.

Im clearly not saying all instructors or any i never been with them or meet them. Just im saying my experience. Which is too bad , since those guys you have to trust and make you an addicted weekend racer.
And doesnt really help in the situation if this guy usually a good guy.

Rob
Old Feb 7, 2010, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why was there no personal head sets being used for communication? 1st lap with a green student the instructor should be reviewing flagging stations to make sure the student is properly aware of the surroundings. The instructor should have spent time briefing the student before they entered the track. The instructors #1 job is to prevent a early apex. (You have to accomplish this before you are at the apex!). 2cd job is to teach the student that if he runs out of pavement exiting the corner he must not drive the car back onto the track until all lateral forces have diminished. On my 1st couple laps with a new student, I point out all the diagonal tire marks going from corner exits to the inside tire walls. He must never be allowed to drive fast till he understands the basic aspects of actions and consequences when he runs out of pavement. Otherwise you could find yourselves upside down on a tire wall.
In my opinion today's top performance sports cars are way to fast for in car instruction. Once the student is in a advanced group he should be coached from instructors viewing from behind guard rails! Skip Barber teaching involves multiple instructors viewing students in a session. Coaching is then done with radio's when the car has come to a stop in the pits when the student has attention not compromised while driving.
Instructor's should not explain mistakes at speed in the car. They should always be instructing on what is to come not on the passed corner or series of them. Always keep the student thinking ahead.They do not have the capacity to contemplate the previous and prepare for the coming actions.
Certain situations arise like when I jumped into a students car because he had no instructor and he was losing time waiting patiently in the pits. I had no communicator, no briefing and I had only driven that track for 1 session. I made the mistake of pushing him to drive faster then he felt comfortable but his actions were good and I felt we were not in danger. not until smoke started pouring through the dash! He said it was a exhaust issue and I calmly directed him back to the pits and with our hands ready to open the doors for a quick exit!
Never put racing seat belts in street car with no roll over protection. Some clubs were demanding the instructor has the same belts as the driver. I will not get into a seat with belts that will kill me if the roof collapses. Wear a 3" lap belt on top of your 3 point stock belts. It will keep your butt planted in the seat and the stock belts will allow you to slump over the center console if the roof should come down on you. I saw a BMW with the roof pushed down to the door on the passenger side with the instructor pushed over the console. Had he been held in a seat with 4 or 5 point belts he would have been crushed to death!
Old Feb 7, 2010, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

wow, haha... My first track event was after 3 years of heavy canyon experience, and my instructor told me that he'll coach me AFTER the first lap, and right after the first lap he explained all my exit lines i needed to take and instantly knocked seconds off my time.. The track was NPR in Louisiana so there arn't many evos, and he said that was the ride of his life lol woohoo!!
Old Feb 7, 2010, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

That was just terrible.I'm glad to hear that guy got booted from the school.