Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

If you do track why not do TT?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2010, 01:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
I've done time attack stuff successfully, but I have no interest in continuing to do it if I'm not 100% invested in winning -- which means spending more money and taking more risks (both financial and safety) than I care to at this point in my life. I'd rather just do track days and try to improve my driving in a relaxed atmosphere, than participate competitively as an "also ran."
Old Feb 12, 2010, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I've done time attack stuff successfully, but I have no interest in continuing to do it if I'm not 100% invested in winning -- which means spending more money and taking more risks (both financial and safety) than I care to at this point in my life. I'd rather just do track days and try to improve my driving in a relaxed atmosphere, than participate competitively as an "also ran."
Yup that sums it up better than I did.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bueller
TT/TA events are popping up everywhere in Socal these days.
Thanks Ed. Every freaking day i have to listen to my brother asking me to move to LA, now you too?!

Originally Posted by Bueller
Generally speaking, those that dont do TT either feel like theyre not ready, or theyre not comfortable with competing, or their car is modified to the point where they cant afford to compete in the class they fall in (TTU/TTR).
I think along with $$$ that pretty much sums it up.

But shutting down a TT program isn't an option, so now it's a question of what can be done to improve participation. How do we resurrect a dying TT program? How do we make everyone else as enthusiastic about it as I am?
Old Feb 13, 2010, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

$$$$

I instruct not only because I enjoy it but also because it gets me free track time. I otherwise wouldn't be able to afford the sport. Now, yes I could instruct AND do TT but then I'd have to pay the $$$ to be competitive. A timer is a timer. I can easily compare my laptimes against the TTA guys and be "competitive". We don't need to be on the track at the same time to compete and I certainly don't need a trophy. The contingency tires would be nice... but I'd burn up much more money just trying to stay competitive.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Loser
Thanks Ed. Every freaking day i have to listen to my brother asking me to move to LA, now you too?!

I think along with $$$ that pretty much sums it up.

But shutting down a TT program isn't an option, so now it's a question of what can be done to improve participation. How do we resurrect a dying TT program? How do we make everyone else as enthusiastic about it as I am?
Hah, maybe LA is where you need to be then. As for what you guys can do to improve the TT participation in your area...that is a good question. Im not sure. It has to start somewhere though. For one, youre going to need some dedicated TTers who are competitive. That should attract some potential TTers. Because most people need incentive to take that step into TT. If there is no one for them to chase, they wont join TT. Beyond that, it just depends on your area. Maybe theres just not enough people in your area who are interested in HPDE, let alone TT. But if you guys have enough HPDE drivers, talk to them about it. Sometimes all it takes is one person to take the plunge.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I personally think mostly its money related. Also you have to compete and that is too much stress for certain people, they dont want to ruin they own fun.
Some people is not that competitive, they just like to have fun.
This my guess.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I really don't think it has to do with money. I'm pretty sure an HPDE run on R comps and expensive pads is going to cost more than a TT event. Especially after the fluid changes and 5 tanks of race fuel.

I've attended a couple local time attack events and I felt like I was waiting all the time. I want seat time!!! I also don't like running the car when its not in its prime. I want the grip and speed the comes from brakes and tires that are up to temp.

But primarily... I like to be on track and play chase with friends. I like being on track with other honest street cars.... but I like the adrenalin that comes from playing chase with a cup car too!

You got me thinking about tracking my car now.... WINTER SUCKS!
Old Feb 13, 2010, 03:43 PM

why not single>?
Old Feb 13, 2010, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

The wear and tear and the costs are very close between the HPDE and a TT event..you are on track for about the same amount of time in either format. I hope everybody who wants to drive on track will go to some event and try it. It is truly a fun day, no matter if your a new guy or a veteran. If you enjoyed your track day,there are so many different groups that hold some kind of track day you can get back to the track pretty easily. Then when you become a hopeless track addict..you can change the competition level (s) Pete
Old Feb 13, 2010, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
how many TT events are here in the NE anyways ?? MotorsportReg doesn't list any. I know NASA is holding them from time to time, but their online NE schedule is not showing anything ? Or Im not looking in right places.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have to agree about the lack of track time with TT events. Normally you get two to three 4 lap practice sessions (with traffic) and then two to three TT runs. Normal HPDE's provide hundreds of miles worth of track time.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 05:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letMeIn
how many TT events are here in the NE anyways ?? MotorsportReg doesn't list any. I know NASA is holding them from time to time, but their online NE schedule is not showing anything ? Or Im not looking in right places.
What's up Mark.

Almost every event that's listed as "NASA RACE" will include TT on their schedule (http://www.nasanortheast.com/schedule.html) The registration page will give you more details (https://www.nasaproracing.com/event)

Originally Posted by EVIL_EV0
I have to agree about the lack of track time with TT events. Normally you get two to three 4 lap practice sessions (with traffic) and then two to three TT runs. Normal HPDE's provide hundreds of miles worth of track time.
This depends on the club you run with and how they conduct their TT. With NASA it's just like any HPDE, and you run a transponder throughout the day, and your fastest times are taken. This is why there's no difference between doing a regular HPDE4 or a TT except that you're being timed the entire day.

Last edited by Loser; Feb 14, 2010 at 05:06 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
I really don't think it has to do with money. I'm pretty sure an HPDE run on R comps and expensive pads is going to cost more than a TT event. Especially after the fluid changes and 5 tanks of race fuel.
It may not be money related for you, or maybe some drivers that you know... but finances are definitely the deciding factor in my choice not to pursue TT right now.

For DEs, the number of heat cycles your tires have seen is pretty much irrelevant. In fact, most people are running on scrubs/take-offs from other race cars in my area. The only people running stickers are the "HPDE World Champions" with more money than sense.

But, having fresh tires/stickers is vital for TT/TA... as is having fresh pads, fluids, etc. Things that you can get away with for a DE, you cannot for TT(if you expect to be competitive).

There is always the option to just run your car "as is" for time trials/time attack... but, as others have mentioned in this thread, if I am going to compete, my goal is to win. I don't plan on investing my time, energy, money, blood and sweat into an effort for a midpack finish.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

No real interest in having to prep a car for competition. I like to drive at my own pace; I'm out there to learn and have fun. I don't want to feel obligated to be at 10/10ths all day.

Basically, all of the same reasons listed by everyone else.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

To add to the TT events for the NE. E.M.R.A has a TT championship series. C.A.R.T has track days for 2010. TrackDaze is on NE tracks..SCCA at NJMP-Summit-VIR. Pete

Quick Reply: If you do track why not do TT?