Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

If you do track why not do TT?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2010, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would love to do TT's. But the closest events are 5 hours away.

I can do HPDE's 2hrs away.

That is really what it comes down to for me.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

So it seems there are a few predominant answers:
1. "It costs too much to prepare for TT vs just doing HPDE"
2. "If I do TT, I want to give it my best shot, and that costs too much"
3. "HPDE is relaxed and enjoyable, I would much rather focus on my driving that on the clock"

For #1 & #2, I agree that if you do become competitive, investing in some good rubber and prepping the car to make the most of the class will cost more. But until that point, why not see if you can unsettle the top dogs with whatever equipment you have? When you start at ANY kind of sport (be it tennis, basketball, soccer, football, autox) you never need the best equipment until you're kicking butt and fighting for those top spots. As for registration fees, it's the same.

For #3, yes knowing that there's a clock running can make it less relaxing, but if you focus on your driving (which is the proper approach), you'll start beating the clock. You're less likely to encounter red smoke if you're focused on your driving.

I'm not trying to argue here or say anyone is wrong, I'm just saying that there's nothing to lose by signing up to TT if you're already in HPDE4 and you have an open mind. Give it a try, and if you still think it's not for you, make sure you tell me so I know I'm wrong
Old Feb 15, 2010, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The Nasa stuff with the transponder sounds like an added bonus. I'd be interested in that approach considering you get the same amount of track time.

Even if not fully prepped I'd like to see how my lap times compare. I just refuse to give up track time for a counter.

My Dad continually tells me I need to upgrade my car with safety in mind. He wants to see a cage and fire suppression. He is well aware that todays street cars are significantly faster than the race cars of his era. Before I would step it up to honest racing I would need to ramp up my "bad day" protection. I suspect that would add significant cost as well as reduce streetability.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

I prepared for TT and I'm still doing HPDE and definitely not driving at my potential.. the cost sucks but this is my passion, I dont do much, try not to waste gas, ect.. so I can afford it but its still hard for me, I dont make much money.

I had safety in mind during my whole build and I still do. A racing seat, removing the airbags, 5 pt harnesses, fire extinguisher and a quick release steering wheel were my first mods. I started out with a bolt-in roll cage for the cost and slowly worked my way into a true 6pt weld in cage.

It takes time, much better to start in a stock car.. Thats what I wish I had of done. My closest track is 3 hours away, it sucks, thats another limiting factor
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

In the TT venues that use every lap timing, you have basically all day to set your best lap time. Pete
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

My first track day was a TT and it was a ton of fun. Sure I wasn't all that competive but I still got to go around the track alot
Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
The Nasa stuff with the transponder sounds like an added bonus. I'd be interested in that approach considering you get the same amount of track time.

Even if not fully prepped I'd like to see how my lap times compare. I just refuse to give up track time for a counter.
I hear ya. In the NASA MW/GL regions, the organizers took our feedback and changed the schedules! The TT group gets 5 15min sessions - while all the HPDE groups get 4 20min sessions.
I know I'd much rather have an extra session to make changes to my setup and look over my Traqmate data. Plus it's nice if you wanna leave early on Sunday, around 1-2pm you've had 3 sessions already. (Every event schedule varies a bit).

In the TA (Time Attack) world, it's a bit different. You usually get 2-3 practice sessions sandwiched around your 2 TA sessions. In the TA sessions there's rarely any passing and you only get 3 laps. So you don't wanna miss either of your TA sessions!
Old Feb 16, 2010, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

^ no you dont, haha
Old Feb 27, 2010, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pr3z
I would love to do TT's. But the closest events are 5 hours away.
I can do HPDE's 2hrs away.
That is really what it comes down to for me.
Here in the NW we have track days, lapping days, and AutoX for people without SCCA licenses. Depending on the club, you can have some really stiff "competition" even though the events are not racing. I'm not aware of any other events within 1-2 hours away. Button Willow is pretty far but maybe someday when I have a trailer. Most HPDE days are crowded but remain fun especially when there's something cool on the track. One of our clubs tracks on Friday, qualifies on Saturday, then races on Sunday.
You see several race prepped cars along with "up and coming" drivers take the track on Friday to sort out changes or get familar with PIR before qualifying. Sharing the track with these drivers is great experience.

My last track day was in October '09 and only 5 cars showed up because the forecast called for rain. We had two dry and two wet sessions. I filmed my sessions and using an editor to get l lap times. I found out I had run my fastest laps ever.

Would I consider TT? probably when I don't need my car to get me home. Till then I'm content to drive "run what you brung" HPDE events. The best answer is do whatever you have to to get track time.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jid2
I would do NASA TT for sure if it existed in my Area. NASA does not exist in the Northwest, not sure why.

+1 i would join in a heartbeat if it were here!
Old Mar 2, 2010, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

I see another entry for NASA TT / TTB class in the N.E. region..very cool. Pete
Old Mar 2, 2010, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Peter, I'm trying to come instruct at the NJMP event in May, but it's not on the NASA website to sign up for. Is this typical for the NE region?

Edit:
Here's where I'm looking to sign up - https://www.nasaproracing.com/event
The schedule here says the event exists on May 29-30- http://www.nasane.com/index.php/events.html

Last edited by honki24; Mar 2, 2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

For me:

1. Get less track time in TT events for the same $ & time invested
2. Different attitude during practice/lapping sessions (at least during my experience with it):
TT: "I'm lot letting you pass me, I'm a better driver than you"
DE: "You caught me, damn, go ahead and pass and I'll see if I can keep up"
3. Experience and predictability of people around me:
TT: seemed like there was a great spread in experience of people running in same sessions leading to more iffy and unpredictable situations - more probability of having an incident
DE: 4-5 groups based on experience and instructor signoff. Makes it more predicatable and hence less chances of incidents
4. In TT, you get side tracked with rules, protests & sore loosers... takes the fun away but you get to compete which adds a level fun, pressure & adrenalin.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xtnct
For me:

1. Get less track time in TT events for the same $ & time invested
2. Different attitude during practice/lapping sessions (at least during my experience with it):
TT: "I'm lot letting you pass me, I'm a better driver than you"
DE: "You caught me, damn, go ahead and pass and I'll see if I can keep up"
3. Experience and predictability of people around me:
TT: seemed like there was a great spread in experience of people running in same sessions leading to more iffy and unpredictable situations - more probability of having an incident
DE: 4-5 groups based on experience and instructor signoff. Makes it more predicatable and hence less chances of incidents
4. In TT, you get side tracked with rules, protests & sore loosers... takes the fun away but you get to compete which adds a level fun, pressure & adrenalin.
Sounds like you've ran with some bad TT groups or something. Because what you've said is pretty opposite of what I've seen. Here's what I've seen in reference mostly to NASA TT

1) Basically same track time / $. Although there are some lapping days (not DE's) with more straight tracktime.
2) TT is open passing, and it's against the rules to block. They also allow you to 'drive aggressively' which will get you black flagged in a DE. I've encounted a LOT more attitude in DE's with older guys thinking they know everything and are fast. In TT; they'll grid you by time so you get a specific # and put in your place. If you're slower - you grid in the rear; easy as that.
3) TT guys have been signed off all the way up the ladder too. Experience is there and I have run nose-to-tail with several different cars
4) Rules are what helps level the playing field. In the DE world it's hard to say if another car is 'equal' in performance to you but in TT you see the markings on each car. Protests are part of competition.

TA's are a different horse. You'll see less track time, more ego's, more wasted money, fancier stuff, a bigger gap in timing and closing speeds as well as ability.

Last edited by boomn29; Mar 2, 2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by honki24
Peter, I'm trying to come instruct at the NJMP event in May, but it's not on the NASA website to sign up for. Is this typical for the NE region?

Edit:
Here's where I'm looking to sign up - https://www.nasaproracing.com/event
The schedule here says the event exists on May 29-30- http://www.nasane.com/index.php/events.html
This one?
https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1105

Quick Reply: If you do track why not do TT?