Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

If you do track why not do TT?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2010, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boomn29
I understand you're point. You have to understand that it's pretty unsafe to let someone just jump right into a TT group with open passing w/o some sign-off of some sorts.
I see both sides of the argument. In the end I agree that it's safer if the rules are made by those who expect the worst. And as organizers in this modern world of paranoia, lawsuits, etc., you have to try and protect your ***. But a certain club (who shall remain unnamed but we are all familiar with) has enjoyed quick success in the last few years by relaxing the rules.

That being said, when I first went to NASA I sent them a list of my experience and told them my goal was TT. They recommended HPDE3...

Keep in mine, I drive TT with NASA, but I also instruct for SCCA PDX events - so I know both sides a little!
As an SCCA instructor you were still put in HPDE3??
Old Mar 4, 2010, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Loser

They aren't exactly going to call the SCCA and ask if person Y is an instructor in region X, no club does that. Anyone can say they have 30 years of track experience in an email or on an application. Any grassroots racer knows there are those that talk and those that walk.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

im building my evo right now and have my own friend as an instructor...all i do is help him fix his cars and in return i get track time and extra advice when needed. cant wait to compete
Old Mar 5, 2010, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Loser
Yes and no. I had instructed for the SCCA, but it was a new program they were starting called PDX what wasn't official at the time. It's basically SCCA's answer to HPDE type stuff.

The STL region started it up and we later got the official word it was accepted and got accredited.

I think at the time when I first joined NASA, I had like 20 track days under my belt. Nothing too crazy or excessive. My first event was at my 'home' track and rather low attendence too which probably both helped the cause. No regrets.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Well if getting signed off on the first day is not a problem then it's not a huge deal but, it still sounds alittle like jumping thru hoops.

Now I've had discussions about getting more TT participants many times with many people. I'm the Steelcity region SCCA chairman for TT's. ( we run small TT's on the go-cart track at beaverun and are going to be holding our first TT on the north track at beaverun this sept). I'm also a licensed SCCA chief TT driving instructor.

It's kinda funny how each club does things different. NASA makes you go thru hpde to be able to compete with no car safety prep required from what I understand. The SCCA let anyone race TT's as long as they have a safety prepped car.(roll bar st least, fire suit, ext. Harnesses, ect). Which weeds out most of the problem drivers with car prep. Or they don't actually get signed off to get their TT license if they scare us. Which is better way?I think they both work okay. Now we are working on making it more NASA like by giving some track TT's a level 2 rating which dosnt require the safety stuff but now we have to be careful as to keeping a close eye on folks we don't kno.

I would just like to make it easier for drivers from both groups to be able to race if they want.

Make it fun and hassle free and they will come
Old Mar 5, 2010, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Now there are the other clubs that don't require any if that and they make it work. Not exactly safe IMO.

Well it sounds like if I wanna race NASA this year I need to contact the chief instructor and discuss my situation
Old Mar 5, 2010, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

One more thing fwiw. SCCA hillclimbing is probably the one of the only sectors of racing in the SCCA that had a rise in attendance last year. We averaged about 75 racers at all 9 events with a total racer count of people who showed up to at least 1 event in the mid 300's. That a pretty big pool of racers and cars that could run TT's in the northeast
Old Mar 5, 2010, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jid2
i would do nasa tt for sure if it existed in my area. Nasa does not exist in the northwest, not sure why.
+1
Old Mar 5, 2010, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

jerdeitzel - if you are interested in running with NASA Northeast drop an email to the TT director (Jake Namer). You should be able to find his official email address on the NASA-TT site or forums. Based on the conversations I've had with him he's pretty accommodating if you can prove your prior experience and don't fail the bull**** filter

I did a hillclimb last year in another country in a modified Evo. The road surface was far from perfect so the entire time I was concerned about bouncing off the road and rolling down the hill side. On the flip side the adrenaline rush was awesome! Now that I'm getting a rollcage put in my car I might give one of the PA hillclimbs a shot.