Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Euro Rally Cross comes to USA in 2010

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Euro Rally Cross comes to USA in 2010

Thanks to DaveK on the input for I personally was not aware of this MotorSport; yet when watching the videos felt the need to start a thread so that everybody supports this new movement that is about to start this fall.

This is the line that made me start the thread:

Originally Posted by DaveK
Rally America is beginning a series which will take place at NJMP in the fall, and if the format proves successful to the US market, it may expand across the country for 2011. Basically, rally cars with 45mm restrictors (instead of 34mm), running on a race track that's a mix of tarmac & gravel...6 at a time.

Dave
And the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-OqJ...rom=PL&index=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slord9-m7oM
Old Feb 21, 2010, 02:03 AM
Evolved Member

AMEC has been holding euro rallycross events in upstate NY at Black Rock Speedway. Check www.icerace.com for summer events
Good to see interest growing for wheel to wheel rally racing.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 03:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
AMEC has been holding euro rallycross events in upstate NY at Black Rock Speedway. Check www.icerace.com for summer events
Good to see interest growing for wheel to wheel rally racing.
Wheel to Wheel Rally Racing... Nicely put sir, nicely put.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 04:43 AM
vik
Evolving Member

Well sometimes it is more destruction derby...
Old Feb 21, 2010, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

I've been watching euro rally-cross videos for years now. I can't wait to see it here in the states and would love to build a car for it if the series sticks around for a few years. What could be better than wheel to wheel rally racing?
Old Feb 21, 2010, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Rallycross is awesome! I remember back in the day Top Gear did a feature on the sport. It'll be fantastic if NJMP pulls it off, but it's definitely going to involve a LOT of bent sheet metal. Back in Sri Lanka there are similar races on just dirt http://autolanka.fotopic.net/c1685174_133.html

Good to know that Hungary is big into it

Last edited by Loser; Feb 21, 2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Been a fan for years, glad to see a top end event, just wondering what cars will be there now.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

been watching it for a while now. very interested on how it takes to the states
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

can't wait for this to blow up in the states....otherwise i'm gonna have to start planning more trips overseas
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Makkinen II
Been a fan for years, glad to see a top end event, just wondering what cars will be there now.
I'm trying to figure out the $$ side of getting our car out there. Travel, service crew & repairs won't come cheap for this series. The nice thing is that since my car doesn't see actual rally use right now, I'm looking at making some 'rallycross' type mods to make the car more competitive. Since our team's focus has always been PPIHC, we're used to dealing with the dual surface (tarmac & gravel) that we'll find in NJ.

On the power side of things I don't think we'll be too far off the mark, as I've got a good turbo to run on the restrictor, I just need to get a 45mm restrictor milled and have the car re-tuned.

Dave
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:04 AM

Rallycross has been wildly popular in England and the Scandinavian countries for years. Has never caught on here, not without a lack of trying , however. There have been many attempts at getting serious, long-term, interest in rallycross, established. But I think, like rallying, Americans tend to rather squeamish about crashing their personal racecars. Love to see it take off though!
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:07 AM
Account Disabled

45 mm restrictor - how cool is that - big TRQ and more HP... yummy indeed...
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

I would not start with a Evolution. Lot's of cheap cars out there to start rally crossing with. More fun when you can drive at the maximum without worry of expensive damage.
Drive fast, take chances!
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
I would not start with a Evolution. Lot's of cheap cars out there to start rally crossing with. More fun when you can drive at the maximum without worry of expensive damage.
Drive fast, take chances!
Agreed that it sucks to start with an expensive car...but if you're going to try and run against the factory fords & subarus, a 1st gen T/E/L isn't going to cut it. And, if you've already got a car build with all the goodies, you'd be hard pressed to come up with another car for the $5-10k in body damage that you'll likely be looking at after the event is over.

I was thinking of picking up that Evo IV for it after I learned some stuff about the US vs. Non-US rules, but the car sold a few weeks back.

Dave
Old Feb 26, 2010, 09:22 PM

The Rally Cross that is coming to NJMP will have an X-Games factor to it as well (read "JUMP") - no clue what suspension setup would be needed for that!!! I would be all over the Rally Cross stuff were it not for the JUMP part...pretty sure peeps would need professional sponsorship/loads of cash & spares to be competitive

Quick Reply: Euro Rally Cross comes to USA in 2010