Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Deluxe Kirkey Road Race Seat Install

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2010, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deluxe Kirkey Road Race Seat Install

Heyo!

Anyone install a Kirkey Road Race seat in their Evo? The Kirkey brackets don't span the full width of the OEM seat mount points. Please share any tips you may have about installing this particular seat...

I was looking into getting 3/16" thick, about 2" or 3" flat steel plates to span the OEM mount points and then drill the Kirkey brackets onto these... any thoughts on the proposed setup?

I will try calling Kirkey to get their input but would appreciate other people sharing their setups as well - thanks!
Old Mar 15, 2010, 02:39 AM
Evolved Member

Aluminum seats are liked by some and disliked by many others. Try to sit in a race car that has one before you buy. Most road racing cars opt for FIA seats. It is very important to mount your seat properly. If you can move the seat by pushing the top laterally it is not mounted with enough strength. I watched a Porsche 911 driver die when he hit a wall backwards at 100+ mph. The seat tore from its mount and the fiberglass seat cracked over the shoulder bar.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ that is a sad and tragic story, but all too common. People build a cars suspension, engine, etc, and buy a seat and harness, only to install it improperly, and die as a result. Build it to ptofessional spec, properly.

Aluminum sets are horribly uncomfortable for anything more than drag racing in my opinion and everyone else I know who has used them. Drive in one for a extended periond and compare to a properly fitted composite FIA shell. I think you will agree. Flat panels of alumnum simply cannot fit as well as contoured composites, no matter how much padding you put in there.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:52 PM

Thanks for the advice - will look into the FIA seats before bolting in a new seat!