Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Ed Nazarian @ ACS Roval 3/13-14/10: Super Touring race results

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Loser
Great race Ed - congratulations. Loved the plug for the OEM calipers when you out braked the 996. My guess is that you caught him up because he was getting held up by the Mudstang.
Thanks. If you watch it again youll see that i set him up at T9, which is that tight right-hander that puts us on the infield straight. He took the inside line while i went far left to setup more exit speed. Thats the corner at the 22:55 marker. Watch it again at that point.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Pics are posted. Ill see if i can post them here when i get some time.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

I added the link of 1 pic for now in my 2nd post.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
White letter hoosiers, nice, love the winner sticker show-off too
Old Mar 20, 2010, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Great high speed run. What were the top speeds? Good track to learn drafting. Do you think you could make a 45 minute race there with full stock fuel tank?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
White letter hoosiers, nice, love the winner sticker show-off too
Showoff? But i dont take the pics, i just drive.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
Great high speed run. What were the top speeds? Good track to learn drafting. Do you think you could make a 45 minute race there with full stock fuel tank?
Thanks Dave. Definitely a good track to practice drafting. Some cars dont help much while trying to draft, while other cars seem to simply such you in. For instance, Ryans white Vette wouldnt really suck me in. I wouldnt really feel much trying to draft behind him. In fact, most of the time he would just gradually pull away from me. But the red Pontiac Firebird that i was trailing with around 4 laps to go, sucked me right in. When i stepped out of the draft on the outside of T1 my car got really unbalanced right away. Same with Scotts white Rx7. He sucked me right in, and when i stepped out of the draft and passed him on the outside of T1 my car got really unbalanced.

Can i finish a 45min race at ACS with the OEM tank? Good question. Im not sure, but it would be really close. My OEM gauge is always off after a race, so its really hard to say how much fuel is left when the race is done. As for my top speed, based off of my friends data box, my top speed through T2 was around 148mph. Here is the track map. Click on the Sports Car map:

- http://www.autoclubspeedway.com/Seat...rack-Maps.aspx
Old Mar 21, 2010, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

I was able to hit 160mph going into T1, all on street tires...
Old Mar 21, 2010, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by o-townFLA
I was able to hit 160mph going into T1, all on street tires...
Hey Matt, what sort of data acquisition do you use? As for tires, its really fascinating to see how far the tire manufactures are pushing the envelope these days when they develop their "street" tires to accommodate the time attack events. There are some really fast street tires out these days. I dont have hands on experience since i dont run in time attacks, but ive sat in a few cars that have those popular time attack street tires, and i was really surprised as to how much grip they have. So every time i hear someone say they run street tires it makes me laugh. What street tires have you ran, and how do they compare given your experience?

It seems like most of those street tires are only good for about 3 hot laps at a time, but they sure are fast for being street tires. When they fall off it seems like you can give it a cool lap, and then you can run another 3 hot laps and so forth. It really depends on the car/track and some various other factors, but that seems to be the case with the relatively heavier time attack cars. Does that sound like the norm to you?

Aside from levels of grip, one other difference between "street" tires and "race" tires is how long they can maintain those grip levels. For instance, iirc, during Sundays race about 80% of my laps in our 35min race were in the 1:50s. So around 80% of my laps were within a few tenths of each other. Now you cant compare lap times from a race to lap times in other events like HPDE and time attack, but its really amazing to be able to maintain that much speed lap after lap in a race. There is obviously a lot of strategy involved, but either way those tires have the capacity, if driven properly, to maintain a great deal of speed for a relatively long period of time. More than anything, its really interesting that tires can be developed to run fast, but with different outcomes.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Check my 2nd post for more pics. Most of the pics are posted, and i linked the SCE thread with some more because it was too much work to post them all. Besides, Mike already posted them. If anyone wants the higher resolution ones, send me an email here:

Sponsor/Contact me

PMs are difficult to keep track of.

Thanks

Last edited by Bueller; Mar 21, 2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by willitas34
I got this from OctaneReport.com, I assume this is John's evo?

This Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 was gutted, stripped and prepared for Super Touring 2 (ST2) racing. The owner was also running an Acura Integra in Honda Challenge
Yep, thats the other Evo. How did you find it? Owner is John Hsu. That weekend was the first time i met him. Never heard of him before that. He is friends with someone i know in the Evo community. He approached me i think on Friday, and ended up parking next to us with his crew. Good guys. He said he bought the car from some guys in Utah. He races in Honda Challenge and decided to start racing his newly purchased Evo with us in ST2.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Mike posted some more pics.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
He get paid in Oero's? I could use a guy that can "walk into" my wheel well and adjust things
Old Mar 23, 2010, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah that white car is a classic Miller Motorpark EVO built by Vesko at Competition Associates.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
He get paid in Oero's? I could use a guy that can "walk into" my wheel well and adjust things

Quick Reply: Ed Nazarian @ ACS Roval 3/13-14/10: Super Touring race results