Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

NOS / AMS Hillclimb Evo takes 1st at season opener

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2010, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOS / AMS Hillclimb Evo takes 1st at season opener

Well … it was a crazy week/weekend for the NOS Energy Drink hillclimb team, powered by AMS Performance. The first race of the season always presents unique challenges, and 2010 was to be no exception.

The install and fabrication work for the new goodies mentioned in Dave’s “Evo Updates” post got wrapped up Thursday evening at Built-by-Bones Ft Collins shop. See this thread for more photos of the build.

I headed out to CORE early Friday morning to put in a shakedown session before heading off to our first hillclimb of the season. A few good laps proved that the improvements made in the off season were well worth it, but suddenly the clutch pedal stopped working and the car was loaded back on the trailer via the “ratchet strap of shame” method.

I towed it over to Tobz Performance where they tore into the car minutes after arrival. Knowing the clutch hydraulics weren't holding fluid, Tobz & crew had to remove the transmission to determine the root cause of the problem. Once the culprit was discovered we contacted AMS Performance for guidance. They quickly (and I do mean quick … these guys are awesome) gathered the necessary parts to repair the car and over-nighted them from Chicago to Tobz’s shop. Saturday (which under normal circumstances would be a practice day down in Canon City) the parts were installed, car put back together and we were off to CORE for another, hopefully uneventful, shakedown. We made a few handling adjustments out at CORE, but otherwise she was ready for competition. We mounted some fresh tires and headed home.

Sunday morning (Race Day) we got up at about 5am to head down to Canon City. Our best time last year was a 3:19. On our first run, with no practice, we ran a 3:23, securing 2nd place. Our goal for 2nd and final run was to try to beat last year’s time. We blasted up the hill to a 3:16.22, 3/100ths short of the Rally AWD record! Bummer to be so close to that record and not grab it, but that 3:16 was enough to take first place in the Rally AWD class, making the weekend’s drama well worth it. We’d be remiss not to mention that Nate and Brandye Conley were also driving the wheels off their STi and took second place a mere 7/10ths back.

Many, many thanks to Rich & Eric at AMS Performance for the after hours assistance. We wouldn’t have gotten back on the road if it weren’t for them. Special thanks to Tobz Performance for fitting us in their busy schedule. Next race is CORE out in Deer Trail June 5th and 6th. We won overall last time we were at CORE and we’re looking forward to defending. And be sure to mark your calendar now for the Pikes Peak International Hillclimb on June 27th.

Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for videos!

Dave
Old May 11, 2010, 10:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Sweet, you made it!
Old May 12, 2010, 02:06 AM
Evolved Member

Were is Canon City? I wish you could try the Vermont hill climbs. Okemo and Burke are my favorites. Fast and technical with dire consequence if you go wrong!
I am looking into going to Pikes Peak to see Jeff run the mountain after traveling from Australia. Jeff placed 2cd overall at Mt. Washington years ago in his factory Ralliart RS Evo 5. Hope to meet you and see you guys race to the top of Colorado.
Old May 12, 2010, 03:01 AM
Evolved Member

congrats
Old May 12, 2010, 03:48 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
congrats!
Old May 12, 2010, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
awesome, congrats!
Old May 12, 2010, 06:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GREAT JOB DAVE!!!!

Eric
Old May 12, 2010, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Word.

You love to get it done with every available second before race time. Nice work. Updates for this year look nice, I think you'll be happy with them. I think you are getting close on dialing in the major issues. It's fun when you can just "tune" things instead of always reworking things.
Old May 12, 2010, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
Were is Canon City? I wish you could try the Vermont hill climbs. Okemo and Burke are my favorites. Fast and technical with dire consequence if you go wrong!
I am looking into going to Pikes Peak to see Jeff run the mountain after traveling from Australia. Jeff placed 2cd overall at Mt. Washington years ago in his factory Ralliart RS Evo 5. Hope to meet you and see you guys race to the top of Colorado.
I'd love to make it out for the Mt. Washington event if they ever get it re-started. I was asking John Buffam about it a few weeks ago.

I grew up just outside Boston, so coming back for a few events would be a blast, but cross country travel is something we've yet to figure out how to budget for, as it just gets expensive really quick.

Originally Posted by jid2
I think you are getting close on dialing in the major issues. It's fun when you can just "tune" things instead of always reworking things.
I sure hope so! Its been a long couple of months with changes at my job, and trying to keep up on the Evo upgrades. Throw in a BMW Compact rally project, and I'm just about out of time to get anything done.

It was really a pleasure to not have to worry about looking at gauges this weekend...just put the pedal down and focus in on the road. I'm really hoping to get in a couple test sessions in this year with some of the new aero bits, and want to try and optimize our gravel suspension for use on tarmac.

I really want to pick up a Traqmate to fiddle with, but I've been having all sorts of trouble with my ChaseCam, and nobody over there can seem to figure out what's wrong with it.

Dave
Old May 12, 2010, 10:44 AM
Former Sponsor

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so HAPPY we were able to help you reach your goals.

THX.
Old May 12, 2010, 10:53 AM

Congratulations! Video?????
Old May 12, 2010, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats man! Especially considering the tranny was out the day before!
Old May 13, 2010, 04:45 AM
Evolving Member

congrats guys....keep up the awesome work
Old May 14, 2010, 12:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 9SECndEVO
Congratulations! Video?????
Still working on it. These HD files are killing my computer! Should have something up by this weekend.

Dave
Old May 16, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

After countless hours of computer crashes and generating file types that didn't include the sound, I have finally finished a video from our winning run at Temple Canyon.

I'm kicking myself at all the places I left time on the road, but with only 2 shots at the road on race day, I have to be content with the fact that we had no major screwups and loaded the car back onto the trailer under its own power....there's always next year!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kEjmzwEzUY

Dave

Quick Reply: NOS / AMS Hillclimb Evo takes 1st at season opener