Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Watkins Glen May 2010 HPDE with Niagara PCA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2010 | 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

I'm allowed to take passengers. Will be at NJMP on Mon & Tues. Can arrange rides in other cars as well if interested.
Event details: http://www.njbmwcca.org/services/sch...p?event_id=248
PM me if you have any questions.
Old Jun 4, 2010 | 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone in that area should take up an offer like that if you can take some time off!
Old Jun 4, 2010 | 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Watching these videos reminded me of Alain Prost; smooth and yet still faster than everyone else. You sir can drive.
Old Jun 7, 2010 | 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Looks so much fun.
Sorry for the noob questions but how does one go about doing this and how much does it cost and what requirements are needed and do you need a special license?
im in new jersey i don't know if it is different around here.
Old Jun 10, 2010 | 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoForumUser12
Watching these videos reminded me of Alain Prost; smooth and yet still faster than everyone else. You sir can drive.
LOL, I'm no F1 driver by any means, those guys are crazy going that fast! I think the smooth part is likely that I'm not really pushing it too hard, although there is enough tire squeal to indicate I've got the tires pretty close to the most they can deliver. There may be some time to be found with keeping it at that edge of traction for a longer time throughout the car's entry and exit of the corner and not just the middle. Of course that is higher risk though and I'm thinking that will come with more seat time.

I found the Evo X very easy to adapt to and with the current car balance of slight power on oversteer it's not too tricky in the turns and powers out quite safely. The only issue I need to pay more attention to is making sure I don't engage ABS when I want (or need) maximum braking power and car control to get through a corner. I'll have to play with the 5 sec off mode of ASC and see if that is going to work better overall.
Old Jun 10, 2010 | 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Mr. Move
Looks so much fun.
Sorry for the noob questions but how does one go about doing this and how much does it cost and what requirements are needed and do you need a special license?
im in new jersey i don't know if it is different around here.
For HPDE or High Performance Drivers Education events you only need a valid driver's license and a willingness to learn. The best bet is to find a local track you would like to drive on and find out what clubs are holding events there that you can drive in. Prices typically range from $150 - $250 per day depending on a few factors. Most events have various run groups from beginner to advanced and supply instructors to get you up to speed safely. They won't graduate you up until they know you can handle the car safely as you get faster.

I like the Porsche Club of America events since they seem to be well organized locally and after a few years of time investment you can get into the black (advanced) run group and pretty much go as fast as you feel is safe while still keeping the car on the track. I also like the fact they teach late passing techniques where you aren't always doing the same brake in a straight line, late apex drill over and over. By exploring other methods of getting around the track under different corner entries and speeds you get to explore how your car reacts under various conditions which can make you more prepared when everything doesn't go as planned.

I found it really helped me run the One Lap road courses that were essentially driven blind with no previous laps driven and still pull out a decent time with mistakes to boot. The key is being able to recover from mistakes quickly and safely with minimal time loss and learning from them quickly on the fly. All really good stuff!

Steve uploaded some more pictures from the event here:

http://onelap.rochesterdsm.org/2010/...de-photoshoot/

Shows some cool angles of the cars on the track during a track walk where we could see the camber and elevation changes in the turns up close.
Old Jun 10, 2010 | 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

WGI is a great track, one of the best around. The thing about the Glen, you can’t really see the huge elevation change from the video. With fast corners and blue Armco everywhere, it can be very intimidating.

Old Jun 10, 2010 | 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

I'll be there July 6&7 with DelVal BMW CCA ... event details:
http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...6B7163A3F00969

Can give rides if desired.

Last edited by xtnct; Jun 10, 2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2010 | 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by xtnct
I'll be there July 6&7 with DelVal BMW CCA ... event details:
http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...6B7163A3F00969

Can give rides if desired.
I'm going to be there as well. It's nice to know that there will be some fellow Evo owners running with the BMW club