Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Gauging interest: New AP Racing brake upgrades (the real race stuff)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW, the anti-knockback/anti-rattle clips for the rotors work well. Much quieter! I don't get so many weird looks and questions about the noise.

These clips plus a Varex muffler makes my track car a lot more pleasant to drive on the street.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 10:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tsi90awd
FWIW, the anti-knockback/anti-rattle clips for the rotors work well. Much quieter! I don't get so many weird looks and questions about the noise.

These clips plus a Varex muffler makes my track car a lot more pleasant to drive on the street.
Great! Yes, based on feedback from customers across all applications, the clips pretty much completely all noise and rattling.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 06:52 AM
Former Sponsor

All Current Essex/AP Racing BBK owners please read below

We recently sent out a survey to those who bought their Sprint or Endurance kit directly from Essex. Now we're looking for those who bought their kit from a different shop. I have a survey that I'd like you to complete. It will help us continually improve our products and offer more of what our customers want. In exchange for filling out the survey we will offer you a very nice gift at no charge...and yes, it's something you will want and can use. Please shoot me an email and I'll send you the survey. Thank you very much for your help!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Just finished reading through the thread. I am pretty much convinced this is the best kit to get, but with one concern: using a caliper w/o dust seals on the street.

I am not talking about Florida, I am talking about Canada, and winter driving.

I know some will say you shouldn't use them on the street in the winter, but I also know that other caliper manufacturers (like Willwood) say that they have no problems at all using calipers w/o dust seals on the street. You just need to make sure you clean the pistons before pushing them back in the calipers.

Does anyone here actually have first-hand experience with these (or comparable) calipers for street use, including street use in the winter?

thanks
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by littlebluegt
Just finished reading through the thread. I am pretty much convinced this is the best kit to get, but with one concern: using a caliper w/o dust seals on the street.

I am not talking about Florida, I am talking about Canada, and winter driving.

I know some will say you shouldn't use them on the street in the winter, but I also know that other caliper manufacturers (like Willwood) say that they have no problems at all using calipers w/o dust seals on the street. You just need to make sure you clean the pistons before pushing them back in the calipers.

Does anyone here actually have first-hand experience with these (or comparable) calipers for street use, including street use in the winter?

thanks

I had first hand experience with wilwood calipers without dust seals. I personally never had issues due to lack of dust seals, and this was living in the midwest at the time, where it snows and roads get salted. I never cleaned the pistons before retracting them during brake pad replacements either. Maybe I got lucky.

This was on my last project car btw. It was a custom big brake kit done for an mr2 turbo I used to own.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
I had first hand experience with wilwood calipers without dust seals. I personally never had issues due to lack of dust seals, and this was living in the midwest at the time, where it snows and roads get salted. I never cleaned the pistons before retracting them during brake pad replacements either. Maybe I got lucky.

This was on my last project car btw. It was a custom big brake kit done for an mr2 turbo I used to own.
Thanks man

It is too late for me to make any track days this yr, so I will be pulling the trigger in the spring, after that I will try them for a winter and see what happens.