Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Gauging interest: New AP Racing brake upgrades (the real race stuff)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2010, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This sounds very intriguing I can't wait for some reviews.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 08:36 PM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
if you make a kit i would love to test it on my evo x... (it will fit) i would love to keep similar to stock braking , cheaper pads and drop some weight off the front of my car (especially suspended weight). I race once if not more per week /weekend so they would get some serious testing too lol
Old Aug 5, 2010, 05:57 AM
Former Sponsor

From a pure brake performance perspective, what are the top 3 advantages that you would expect to see with these calipers over the stock Brembos (all things being equal- pad compound, rotors, venting, etc.)?
A. Pad replacement cost: The average race pad set for the CP8350 is roughly $175. For the OEM caliper, it's closer to $300. Additionally, pads are available for the AP caliper in every compound under the sun, ranging from Hawk HPS to CL RC8 and everything in between.

B. Weight- I don't know the stock caliper weight off the top of my head, but I believe it is somewhere in the range of 8lbs.+. This caliper is under 5lbs. I will confirm.

C. Stiffness- While the OEM caliper is a fine design, this caliper is a forged design specifically created with stiffness in mind. We've been using an axial mount version of this caliper in racing for a few years. Most of our customers pulled off other brands of aftermarket calipers and replaced them with these. The universal response has been that the pedal feel and modulation is greatly improved due to the caliper's stiffness. Just because it is a 2-piece design does not mean it isn't stiff. That is a common misconception.

D. SS pistons- These pistons are designed to keep heat out of your brake fluid and prevent fade. The OEM calipers do not have this feature, and are more prone to fluid fade (fluid boils and pedal goes soft).

E. Anti-knockback springs- You will no longer have knockback with these calipers. If you've every run into knockback, you know what a miserable feeling it is to dive into a brake zone and feel your pedal drop towards the floor...not fun, and about a pucker factor 11.

F. High temperature seals- The piston seals on the CP8350 were specifically designed to handle high heat. These are the same seals used in the highest forms of racing (ALMS, Sprint Cup, DTM, etc.). These seals retain their pliancy under high heat conditions, have less chance of leaking, and require less servicing.

G. Long-term use/service- A slew of factors fall under this one. All of the components in the CP8350 are designed to be replaceable and serviceable. All of the stainless steel bits and wear items can be inexpensively serviced or replaced after they start getting worn, whereas the factory parts are more difficult to obtain and expensive. Frankly, the value of dust boots is completely overblown in my opinion. As soon as you put a dust boot under track conditions, it burns up almost instantly, eliminating any value it could provide.
Additionally, being able to send the calipers back to Essex at the end of the season to have them evaluated, torn down, and completely serviced and tested ensures that you'll always be running your equipment in top condition. This is important on a safety item like brakes.

H. Appearance- While not a top priority to most hardcore users, the AP's will hold their appearance much better than the "brownbo's, poobo's, blackbo's," or whatever else you guys are calling them these days.

In terms of "pure brake performance," superior pedal modulation due to stiffness, less fade due to the stainless steel pistons, and the elimination of pad knockback would be three that would be greatly appreciated by any driver on the track.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 05:58 AM
Former Sponsor

if you make a kit i would love to test it on my evo x...
If there is enough demand, we would definitely consider making a kit for the Evo X as well.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Jeff: I'm very interested in this kit. A big issue that will determine how these calipers perform is the adapter to allow mounting to the Evo hub. I've had some negative experiences in the past with adapters that are too flexible and allow movement of the caliper body under heavy braking. This led to tapering of the pads and a soft pedal.

Can you give us an idea of what you are thinking for adapter bracket design? I'd vote for the smallest, stiffest adapter possible!
Old Aug 5, 2010, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What will it take to have these produced for the EVO 8/9?

Is there an expected run?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:13 AM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
If there is enough demand, we would definitely consider making a kit for the Evo X as well.
evo 8 kit will work on the X with larger with a little drill and tap action...easy as pie
Old Aug 5, 2010, 12:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Can you give us an idea of what you are thinking for adapter bracket design? I'd vote for the smallest, stiffest adapter possible!
We are working on getting a test car, sample OEM parts, CAD data, etc. We will make the bracket as stout as possible to resist deformation. We currently manufacture caliper brackets for AP's professional racing kits in North America, including NASCAR Sprint Cup, so there's no reason for concern. We have a full-time AP Racing race engineer in our office, and the former managing engineer from Tilton now works for us. We have some serious engineering juice, so I don't anticipate any issues.

What will it take to have these produced for the EVO 8/9?

Is there an expected run?
We're working through the design process now. Once that is complete and the parts are tested, I imagine we'll accept pre-orders for the first production run. I will keep everyone updated as we move through the process.

evo 8 kit will work on the X with larger with a little drill and tap action...easy as pie
Yep. I know the differences between generations is very slight, but we'll just have to make the necessary changes and validate them on a test car. We want to make sure we get it right.

FYI...the first Corvette to use the CP8350 caliper this past weekend at Mt. Tremblant beat the track record for his class by 0.5 seconds in practice, and won his time trial class the following day. Prior to making the switch to this caliper, he was having numerous brake issues. He was running the CL RC8 pad in the CP8350 caliper up front, and the CL RC6 in his OEM vette calipers in the rear. He is quite happy, and we are too. Not bad for the first time out!

I thought this was relevant, since there were a couple of questions about using this caliper on a car that is both heavy and fast like the Evo. At 400+hp and 3000+ lbs. on sticky tires, the C6 vette is definitely both of those things.

Here is the customer's feedback from the vette forum, along with some in-car video:
Got to test out the AP T1 kit at Mont Tremblant this past Monday and Tuesday at the COMSCC time trials. I bought a set of CL RC8 pads from Gary for the front and RC6 pads for the stock rear calipers.

The pedal feel compared to the stock brakes was a huge improvement. Didn't get any fading during the 30 minute sessions and the pedal feel was very, very consistent.

OK, when I read posts like what I wrote above I think, "So what? How hard were you really driving?" If you follow the links below you will see I won my class with a 3.4 second margin of victory and put down the third fastest time of the day. The last link shows some in-car video from a practice session. My car is number 364 in Street Prepared A and is a base model 2006 (non-Z51 / non-Z06) with DA Penske C/Os and this Hardbar/AP T1 brake kit.

This is an excellent kit for the HPDEs and time trials that I do. When the rear caliper kit comes out I'll be in line for that too.

http://www.comscc.org/events/results...?id=2010-08-03
http://www.comscc.org/events/results...?id=2010-final
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GB4Yht-wiI

Last edited by JRitt@essex; Aug 5, 2010 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added customer feedback
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

I'm more than happy to volunteer my car for testing. I can even take them to the track to test at local NASA events. I don't have nice DAQ though like traqmate or the like. I do, however, have a heavy foot in a 3000lb car with 350WHP and I'm currently having to deal with braking maintenance (cool down laps) to keep my ST-43s usable for an entire 25 min. session. You guys have my email, keep in touch.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 08:07 AM

I'm interested in an Evo X application, however, would like to stay close to stock size rotors - 350mm.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
these calipers interest me
Evo IX GSR

Last edited by 4wd4me; Sep 30, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 09:04 PM

hi,
im wondering if you could use these calipers on the front and back?
would the brake bias upset the car when braking if running it this way.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 06:28 AM
Former Sponsor

I'm wondering if you could use these calipers on the front and back?
would the brake bias upset the car when braking if running it this way.
If we did a rear application, the piston sizing in the rear caliper would have to be different to maintain proper bias. If you threw the same exact calipers on the front and rear with the same piston bores, the brake bias/balance would be a mess!
Old Oct 4, 2010, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
So, we all want em (pref 4 wheel), so ....when do we get em?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

I have been experiencing pad taper caused by the stock caliper flexing on my Super Touring Evo 8. I am looking at a brake upgrade with true racing calipers as well.

Quick Reply: Gauging interest: New AP Racing brake upgrades (the real race stuff)