Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo to ASP?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2010, 01:23 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
The main point of contention seems to be a lack of attendance from evo owners at national events, and because the evo is perceived as dominating the class, other cars are not bothering to show up either. This is my response to that.

If there is an underattendance, it sounds like there isn't much to fear from the evos in BSP at nationals, so why is someone discouraged by a car that might show up but doesn't? It sounds like a great idea to shove one model of car into a class it can't compete in because people are worried about someone possibly showing up to nationals in one. The logic just isn't sound. And while we are at it, why move the X along with the VIII and IX? No one is scared of my little piggy.

Evo VIII and IX's are $13-20k cars. If people want to compete in the class, let them buy one. The top 11 finishers at nationals in F Stock were shelby mustangs. Top 23 in ST were 89 civic si's. Top 10 in BS were RX-8's. 10/11 in GS were mini's, with only 18 participants.

Now to BSP - 7 out of the top 15 were evo's. Not even half. And there were 26 participants. Something smells of a small group of people whining to the right people, and a witch hunt is in progress. Maybe I'm biased, but I doubt it, I never plan on running in BSP anyway. I just hate to see a group of drivers singled out when there are much more glaring examples of the exact same "unfair" advantage they are claiming the evos have.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Part of their whole issue with the Evo in BSP was attendance as nationals as already mentioned. The other portion was the fact performance when using E85 was a big jump for an Evo with no boost restrictions compared to other BSP cars (supposedly). Dumb reason as far as I'm concerned, especially when you look at the numbers and compare to other groups like Nsomniac said. I had been hoping to run BSP next season.. but perhaps not at this point heh.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by vortico
Part of their whole issue with the Evo in BSP was attendance as nationals as already mentioned. The other portion was the fact performance when using E85 was a big jump for an Evo with no boost restrictions compared to other BSP cars (supposedly). Dumb reason as far as I'm concerned, especially when you look at the numbers and compare to other groups like Nsomniac said. I had been hoping to run BSP next season.. but perhaps not at this point heh.
If memory serves me correct, the Turbo Miata and Turbo Sky/Solstice are also in BSP, and because they are turbo and can run unlimited boost they have the same benefit from E85 as any other turbo car, including the EVO. . .

BSP is not the only class that the EVO is treated like an outcast. BMW's won many, many, many StreetMod National Championships and no one said anything. The EVO came along and won twice, and not by a large margin. Someone threw a fit and the EVO's minimum weight was raised. Then we moved back to concrete and we got STOMPED by the M3s again by about 1 second per side. . . hmmm. . . wonder if they raised the BMW's minimum weight since it is again an overdog?? Answer - NOPE.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
If memory serves me correct, the Turbo Miata and Turbo Sky/Solstice are also in BSP, and because they are turbo and can run unlimited boost they have the same benefit from E85 as any other turbo car, including the EVO. . .
the car that kills me is a MKIV supra. 3L turbo, makes 400+ on pump gas, weighs the same as a C4 vette and runs the same size tires. I'd have no problems running against Mr. Berry in one of those.

Tom said that on concrete he'd rather be driving his old C4.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by griceiv
Hey we still have a stock steering wheel and no rear spoiler. clearly we're not fully built and if we were to add those two things we'd beat C5 z06's!

Damnit, I forgot about that 400lb lead block next to the airbag.

CLEARLY an ASP car.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
the car that kills me is a MKIV supra. 3L turbo, makes 400+ on pump gas, weighs the same as a C4 vette and runs the same size tires. I'd have no problems running against Mr. Berry in one of those.

but who in their right mind would want to spend $30,000 on a BSP car when you could build a C4 BSP car for $10,000??

Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:13 PM

What about the 135i with 400+ whp and a much better suspension than the Evo.....

Last edited by IceHawk; Jul 26, 2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:16 PM

Actually, BSP has been strong for most events in 2010 and currently has 11 competitors entered at Nats(largest SP class currently). Its still early though so I would expect some of the other SP classes to catch up shortly(only 455 entered at the moment).

As far as the Evo outclassing the rest of BSP, look at the following for 2009 now that we are on concrete for nats, below are some of my arguments for leaving the Evo in BSP.......

2009 Championship - ASP vs BSP - Evo BSP was 1.7 back of ASP - when we were at Forbes the Vette Dominated BSP and was very close or on top of ASP, never 1.7 back. That indicated the Vette would very likely win BSP with the right driver(Berry).

2009 Championship - ESP vs BSP - BSP was only 1.1 seconds ahead of ESP. When at Forbes, the Vette always had a much larger gap ahead of ESP, that indicates the Vette could very well win BSP now that we are back on concrete

Pre 2006 - the Vette's won for YEARS, noone complained. What is the problem with the Evo winning for a few years? Also, no National Champion caliber drivers are running anything besides an Evo at National Events. Show me some data that indicates the Evo is superior to the other cars in class with equal drivers. Noone has been able to do this, so, they need to STFU or bring their cars out....

2009 - BSP - Jones in his BSP Solstice was only 0.3 behind Berry on the east course(with a nipped cone). That was Jones first National Championship ever. His car wasn't fully prepped either. His car is now down to 2790 with more things to be done to it.

2010 Toledo Prosolo - Jones was only 0.4 per side behind Ridgik at the Toledo Prosolo

2010 Peru Tour - A B-Stock Solstice was very close to BSP Miller(can't remember the numbers off the top of my head) who could have won Nats in the past if he had been clean - an A-Stock Solstice is MUCH slower than a BSP Solstice.

Other cars in BSP - A 135i could easily obtain 400whp+/400tq+ and it will kill the Evo on any turn. Who knows, 450 WHP with the twin turbo 3 liter(or 3.5)??? Its definitely a beast and noone has built one yet, probably because the fenders would need to be cut and noone has the nuts to do it on a brand new 40K 135i.

My Experience - for my VERY FIRST RUN EVER in a BSP SKY(same as Solstice) that isn't fully prepped that is 200 pounds heavier than Jones Solstice.... I was only 0.4 behind my runs in my Evo. That was 1 single run guys. Think if it was 200 pounds lighter and I actually knew how to drive it. The Solstice can easily hang with the Evo, especially if prepped fully.

I am certain they will make the move if we don't have a massive letter writing campaign. Have all your locals write letters, have all your friends write letters, otherwise, the Evo 9 will be dead in SP!!!!

One more thing to note, the STI is not included in the move, so, this is not an AWD thing. Its complete BS.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:18 PM

I think the Evo guys would be crying if Tom was in his C4. I'd have my money on him all day long and would give 4-1 odds. ;-) Tom in his C4 was always way ahead of ESP and on top of ASP when we were at Forbes, unlike Lincoln in the Evo in regards to BSP vs ASP/ESP. Granted the Evo is going to be a bit quicker than last year looking at your 1.5 60' launches in Wendover (lol), but, probably not equal to the C4 vs ESP/ASP at Forbes...

Last edited by CraigWilcox; Jul 27, 2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigWilcox
Granted the Evo is going to be a bit quicker than last year looking at your 1.5 60' launches in Wendover (lol),
and here i thought no one noticed. For the record though, I wasn't able to get a 1.5.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 06:54 PM

I sent my letter.

Stupid proposal. In my opinion.