Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo to ASP?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Evo to ASP?

Just got the latest news that the SCCA is looking to move the Evo to ASP.

If you don't want this change you should contact the SCCA.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
all evos or the evo x?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

All.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good thing im in SM. I guess that will remain the same.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know there's been a lot of talk about Evo's ruling BSP and how its effected others in that class. I'm not suprised they're gonna make a change.

Did you read this in your Solomatters email you got today?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

ya was in the solo notes. It's just a proposal right now, but they might change it.

I don't think the Evo is competitive vs. ASP (think Exiges).
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The exige hasn't done a thing in ASP, so not sure why you are worried about them and not the corvettes. I think it will definitely make it harder on the evo, but really the evo platform has no competition in BSP and in full prep with a good driver can run right with and beat any of the ASP guys. Look at Wilcox, Berry, and Grice (sp?).
Old Jul 21, 2010, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Given the history of the EVO and STI in SCCA autocross it's as good as done.

I see a lot more SM competition in the near future.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by drewgray
The exige hasn't done a thing in ASP, so not sure why you are worried about them and not the corvettes. I think it will definitely make it harder on the evo, but really the evo platform has no competition in BSP and in full prep with a good driver can run right with and beat any of the ASP guys. Look at Wilcox, Berry, and Grice (sp?).
Locally the ASP vettes have stopped coming out, but the ASP exiges have been out somewhat regularly.

You're right though, the ASP vettes would be stout competition...
Old Jul 21, 2010, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

I love how the vette can win BSP like 15 years and a row and no one talks about moving it to another class.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Guys,

This proposal went out a couple months ago and the **** was looking for member comment. The change has not yet gone through and they are looking for additional member feedback.

Please send your letters!!

The Evo doesn't fit the performance potential of ASP. Look at the DC Pro results with Ridgick Evo 9 RS vs Johnson ASP C6 Z06. Mike was still faster at a pro. Both of these cars have good prep and excellent drivers.

John
Old Jul 21, 2010, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by drewgray
I think it will definitely make it harder on the evo, but really the evo platform has no competition in BSP and in full prep with a good driver can run right with and beat any of the ASP guys. Look at Wilcox, Berry, and Grice (sp?).
I disagree on both points. The evo has competition in BSP, on many fronts, and we also have ZERO chance in ASP.

I just can't seem to put together a letter that doesn't devolve into a bunch of cussing.

I've got a pretty good SM plan going though, just in case.

Last edited by griceiv; Jul 21, 2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 04:54 AM
Evolving Member

I submitted a letter back when this proposal first came out... definitely against it. There are other competitive platforms in BSP, it's just that the "easy button" appeal of the Evo (easy to find, prep) is going to make it the choice of the faster drivers. Not to mention, most of the BSP Evos are simply well prepped overall, creating the illusion that they are overdogs when they are really just being built to the rules.

Not sure if it's been tried, but I think the untapped competition for the Evo in BSP is the MKIV Supra TT. 315+ tires, double-wishbones, run it on E85 and put it on a diet... sounds almost like a BSP-legal Z06 on paper...

Was the move-to-BSP proposal for the 3rd gen RX7 ever passed? I don't see why that wouldn't also be competition for the Evo, assuming the same prep levels.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by spool_sample
Not to mention, most of the BSP Evos are simply well prepped overall, creating the illusion that they are overdogs when they are really just being built to the rules.
Hey we still have a stock steering wheel and no rear spoiler. clearly we're not fully built and if we were to add those two things we'd beat C5 z06's!

Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:09 AM

Please write letters if you don't agree with the move to ASP. In fact, ask any of your friends who are also SCCA members to write letters too if they feel the same as you do. They are asking for more feedback so give it to them... complaining on the internet about it is fine, but if you really want to make a differance then go to this address and submit a letter:

sebscca.com

The nail isn't in the coffin yet, so get those letters out SOON.

The EVO has one of the biggest enthusiast followings of any car out there right now, it should have a place to be competitive in SP... and its not on par with the ASP cars.

Corey #89BSP

Quick Reply: Evo to ASP?