Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Help with brakes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with brakes

I posted this thread in the EVO X specific forum, but I thought as well that it may be helpful for me here as well.
Not sure if everyone does both forums.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

I am curious to know if other forum users are having the same issues that I have been getting.
First off, I am not new to track brake pads, having 20+ years of experience selling and using on many types of cars.
I have extensive track experience so I do not think I am over braking the corners for the cars cornering ability.

Here is what happens.

Every long track I have lapped on this year creates braking issues in the form of pulsing brake pedal after anywhere between 2 laps and 2 sessions.
The problem is uneven brake pad tranfer layer to the discs. The cure is what I am looking for.
This problem is not an issue on short courses were I am constantly on the brakes.

I have tried OE rotors and then switched to DBA 4000 slotted, when I actually believed the discs were warped. ( They weren't after further inspection)
Everytime I have the pulsing brakes, I can lightly sand the discs and everything is fine. This tells me that it is indeed uneven transfer layer...

SO- I have tried all kinds of bedding procedures. Easy, long, hard braking, 24 cooling etc.
I have tried initially HAWK DTC70s and then 60s, then 30s all with the same results. Hawk techs said that I may have TOO much brakes and can't get the heat into them.... well my calipers are black since my last test day. They suggested BLUES of which I stopped selling several years ago- and these started to pulse on my OUT LAP at WGI.
I have tried Vortex pads ( new company supplying CASCAR) and their street pads do not pulse, but their short track Nascar compound does- after 2 sessions.

I know that their are probably many people running other brake pad compounds and are doing just fine. I think I have narrowed it down that the pads that I have tried are not the issue.
I may be doing something wrong with my bedding procedure.

FWIW, I own a Integra Type R and a ITS Civic Si and use Hawk pads ( DTC, HP+ etc) and HAVE NEVER had bedding issues and often raced the pads right from the box.
I have switched compound between runs and transits without transfer issues , so I pretty sure this is not my issue.

I would like to hear from anyone who has HAD brake compound transfer issues with and EVO X.

I have run this car on Street tires, O48rs and R6s, so I vary the cornering speeds and entry speeds- all producing the same issue.
My suspension is s basic street HSD coilover set up, and I use Gulf Competition RF1000 brake fluid ( like SRF).

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks!!
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be lack of heat.

Can you possibly guess at how hard you drive the car? Like on a scale of 1-10 with 10/10's being 2 off in every corner and sliding it on hoosiers?

What's your normal tire and how wide is it?

I actually don't even bother bedding in my pads until I'm on track. I've either had good luck or I'm just used to it. I've used PFC01's, DTC60's and ST43's - and I don't change my style from 255 Hoosiers to 245 street tires!
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

I have an Evo 8 and have been tracking it for 7 years. I've also had many experiences with uneven pad transfer. It seems that Evos are prone to this problem once you start using race-compounded pads. The large surface area of the pads may be a contributing factor.

I've finally solved the problem this year by using the CL sintered pads. No break-in required and they are much less prone to uneven pad transfer. I've tried the RC5+, RC6, and RC6E. The latter pads are the best for me. They last a long time with extremely good track performance (coupled with brake cooling ducts and Endless RF-650 fluid).

Also: Hello to a fellow Canadian!

Last edited by tsi90awd; Sep 24, 2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Traditionally cold race pads will actually "shine" the rotor because they're so hard and abrasive that they'll scrape it clean. So is this a case where you can do your bedding procedures, they come out clean, then as soon as you track it the layer transfers back? The only times I really have an issue with pad transfer is when it's in the wet, but a nice long braking zone usually cleans it up, or riding the brakes on the straight on the last/cool down lap. But i've also had instances where i'll see some slight transfer when they have too much heat. I've used PF's and Ray's and never had an issue where I couldn't get it to go away. Technically there is no *real* difference between the 10 and 9 brakes when it comes to this issue. Remember the 10 is a LOT heavier then the honda's. I used to be able to stab/trail brake in my VW, but with the Evo I brake to 8/9 at the first braking point, then let off to 5 or 6 and do my shifting.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

Hey thanks for the info.

I am happy to hear that I do not have an isolated issue.
I am quite familiar with brakes, but never heard of CL, so I suppose that you are refering to Carbone Lorraine?

If so, are they readliy available now in NA? I dropped by their both at PRI last year and was under the impression that they were concentrating on upscale race apps.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Exactly. There is a thread here on them:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...pads-ever.html
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
Could be lack of heat.

Can you possibly guess at how hard you drive the car? Like on a scale of 1-10 with 10/10's being 2 off in every corner and sliding it on hoosiers?

What's your normal tire and how wide is it?

I actually don't even bother bedding in my pads until I'm on track. I've either had good luck or I'm just used to it. I've used PFC01's, DTC60's and ST43's - and I don't change my style from 255 Hoosiers to 245 street tires!
OK, at Mosport early this year, on XS 265 35r18s, I was driving 6/10s, getting used to the car and the brake issues were killing me on corner entry, so much that I could not push.

R6s, 255 35r18 on 9.5 wheels on a short technical course- no problems. 10/10ths for a Timeattack.

Watkins- latest aventure- Yoko 048rs 265 35 r18 on 9.5, Hawk blues, trouble on the out lap!!!
I said screw it and persisted to put heat into them- they got better and then worse.
Day 2- timetrials, I was driving 10/10ths ( 2:16 ) brakes pulsing every corner....
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
EDIT: tsi90awd beat me to it.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tsi90awd
Exactly. There is a thread here on them:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...pads-ever.html

Ok, I will read up on them.

I was going to add another pad manufacturer to our offerings for 2011, maybe these guys are the ones.

Your sig says Michigan, but I will take your word that you are a fellow Canuck!! Thanks!!