Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

NASA Watkins Glen ST-2 Evolution

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2010, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NASA Watkins Glen ST-2 Evolution

Here are a few pictures of the Function First Evolution 8 at the 2010 NASA Watkins Glen Super Touring races.

We recorded the fastest ST-2 lap in Sunday's qualifying session.

Our expectations were high after the 1st and 2cd places at Mid Ohio. Unfortunately we did not finish both races at the Glen. Friday track time afford us the ability to work on increasing suspension response with shock settings. The car is close now! Saturday we posted my fastest lap in qualifying with a 2:04.5 By Sunday I was very fast ,being able to really search how much down force the car generates in corners. Sunday we got the car in line for qualifying early with only a few GTS 4 cars ahead (pictures). The worn A6 Hoosiers were on with a partial fuel tank load. I passed all 3 cars before turn 10 and hit the green flag with a open track. On my 3rd lap I put a good solid run in before coming to the very fast turn 10. In 4th gear I started to brake but quickly thought "you have down force no brakes!". I lifted my left foot and howled the Hoosiers through the fast left, rocketed to the final corner and pushed hard to exit on the front straight. I awaited the dash timer display and radioed to Charlie we got a 2:03.8! The car is beyond my ability to describe! It claws its way out of the boot in 3rd gear like a intense creature! The high spring rates, responsive shocks and crushing down force need a high level of committed driving. Brakes allow extremely deep possibilities but they just can't handle what I need now for a 30 to 45 minute 100% race. The final development will include a true racing brake system and some other extreme custom developments! That's what it is going to take to think about beating the fastest Corvettes in the country next year. After the 2011 Mid Ohio Championships I am looking forward to challenging Watkins Glen again with a goal of running a 2:02! with under 350whp.

Old Oct 21, 2010, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Congrats on the blistering time @ the Glen. I've seen that car at a few events in the area (pocono and I think NJMP) and always wondered how functional that body kit was... guess that answers my questions, lol.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That is pretty amazing, I wonder what you could manage on street tires in comparison. I've knocked out some 2:13 times with traffic but sounds like this car is an animal out there with the aero setup and a driver that can push the car!

For reference I can still hit about 145-150mph on the backstraight, and do around 87 mph on the carousel right hander. Just goes to show having great handling in the turns with aero/tires in addition to nice power to weight ratio can really shine on that track.

Last edited by Hiboost; Oct 21, 2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Sweet, gratz bro. A6's for a 35min race eh? Do you drive it like you stole it and beat the hell out of em or do you drop back and manage at points?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Nice work!
car is definitely unique.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Car is looking great. By the time Nationals roll around next season you will have that thing dialed in for sure.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
congrats!!!

I really like everything , but when you will paint the car LOL?
Your car would be 10000000000% more mean + better looking with some nice scheme.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 03:50 AM
Evolved Member

This winter we exit the exhaust out the side so it doesn't effect air flow in the right tunnel. Side skirts need to be finished cosmetically and then make molds to produce light weight copies. Will look for used AP calipers with bigger rotors. Before body work and paint we need to purchase a video data system. I still believe the Race Keeper offers the best data with good video. I would like to keep the silver black colors. I guess the car will need a name? Silver Dragon? Paint/decal some reptile scales on it? Unfortunately paint is last on the list with my budget. Jury is still out on the A6 tires. The car is lighter and better balanced now. Yes you can manage them during a session. I worry that the competition at the nationals will be to great to "manage" tires! We will learn more next year because I plan to use A6 tires for qualifying and the races. The Corvettes only use A6 and I was told they will last for 1 weekend.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Our direction with the Evo 8 came from inspirations from true sports car development. The late 80's peaked with the unlimited ground effects cars in IMSA.

Last edited by apex electric; Oct 24, 2010 at 01:54 PM.