Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2.0L for road racing???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2010, 01:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2.0L for road racing???

We all know that if you wanna build a road racing car, you use a 2.3/2.4 and if you wanna build a drag racing car, you use a 2.0/2.1. Well I do a fair amount of drag racing and plan to do a lot of road course too. I was leaning towards the 2.3L, but after realizing Ill probably do more drag racing, a 2.0 is cheaper and more balanced, etc, I am leaning more towards doing a 2.0L.

So my question is, can a 2.0L car be competitive in road racing?

The only successful 2.0L example I could think of was Gates311's EVO X.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
We all know that if you wanna build a road racing car, you use a 2.3/2.4 and if you wanna build a drag racing car, you use a 2.0/2.1. Well I do a fair amount of drag racing and plan to do a lot of road course too. I was leaning towards the 2.3L, but after realizing Ill probably do more drag racing, a 2.0 is cheaper and more balanced, etc, I am leaning more towards doing a 2.0L.

The only successful 2.0L example I could think of was Gates311's EVO X.
The only successful 2.0L example you can think of is Ryan Gates Evo X? What do you mean by successful? What about Marty Grand, who just won the SCCA T2 National Championship? But first off, it all depends on what you mean by successful...
Old Nov 2, 2010, 02:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bueller
The only successful 2.0L example you can think of is Ryan Gates Evo X? What do you mean by successful? What about Marty Grand, who just won the SCCA T2 National Championship? But first off, it all depends on what you mean by successful...
Yeah, I could only think of Gates. Dont keep my ear to the road racing scene much.

I assume Marty uses a 2L?

Yes, being a national champion is successful
Old Nov 2, 2010, 02:14 PM

it all depends on what your looking for...
Old Nov 2, 2010, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Marty ALSO did it on the stock block/turbo with a restriction, and that thing has 25k miles, 90% of which is all redline racing. So it is competitive, in that series, under those conditions, with that driver, those bolt on's, that tune, etc etc etc. It really comes down to what you are driving for, where, comp, and experience. If I were you i'd build a stable engine, beat on it and see which direction you require at the end of the day.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well... most road race cars are probably on the stock block AKA 2.0.

Every evo guy I know is still running stock internals and some are running very high HP.

Seems to work fine for thousands of miles.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Successful is very subjective BTW. Successful isn't objective so therefore, please explain why 2.0 or and 2.3 stroker is or isn't more successful in what criteria?

I think you are trying to imply that with road racing, which is more suitable?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

The 2.0 & 2.0LR 4g63 covers every thing, but if your looking for a competitve edge then go w/ the 2.2L 4g63.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i think for high revving engine the 2.0l is a great option. I would build the 2l one for road race.
Even in rally is good thing to stay low, but we dont even have high rpm power. , so we are actually forced to do a 2.2 conversion, i dont know anyone who did go higher .
But i guess is also greatly depends on your set up around it. End of the day its all about compromises and balance the engien , knowing what is your goal. Which class - which type of race / like endurance or Time attack etc.

Rob
Old Nov 2, 2010, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're talking about real road racing, as opposed to just doing HPDEs for fun, the first thing you need to do is get ahold of the relevant series' rulebook, and figure out what is allowed ... and either way, I'd focus on suspension and brake mods first, if allowed, before looking at power.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 08:17 PM

dont get hung up on displacement, consider most porsche race cars are sleeved down engines as larger parts tend to get out of balance easier and cannot rev as high without losing efficency and reliability. Road racing you need a responsive engine with a good powerband that will last, unless you are made of money and have sponsers that will give you engines when you gernade them. I dunno, just my .02
Old Nov 3, 2010, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As most have mentioned; it really depends.

I used to be of the thinking --> for ultimate power big turbo and 2.3L stroker to balance out the powerband. Now that I've had a few years of seattime I'd never do that on the stock gearing.
Besides figuring out your obvious rules for whatever series, you need to maximize your power band. No doubt a built bottom end would be safe in the long run.

fwiw; I've got about 24k miles and 60 track days on my car - all stock internals, stock turbo, stock cams, stock trans, etc. Have my fair share of NASA TT wins too; but I drive with disregard for safety! lol.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Our 2.0 is all OEM except for head studs and BC 272 cams and it has handled being over-revved, 110+ degree track temps, 30 psi with E85 and is over 50k miles and it runs very well. That being said, there is some odd wear on the cylinder wall that looks like excessive side loading near the bottom of the stroke. This makes me want to build a long rod motor to reduce excessive side loading. Also, stroker motors really make me question how much cylinder wall wear is created due to side loading being increased and also piston to wall clearance being increased due to forged pistons.

Dan
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by socal rally
if you're talking about real road racing, as opposed to just doing hpdes for fun, the first thing you need to do is get ahold of the relevant series' rulebook, and figure out what is allowed ... And either way, i'd focus on suspension and brake mods first, if allowed, before looking at power.
+1
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I could only think of Gates. Dont keep my ear to the road racing scene much.

I assume Marty uses a 2L?

Yes, being a national champion is successful
Given my experience, Marty has achieved more than pretty much everyone here with his Evo. Ryan does not come close to Martys achievements. Ryan does time attack, Marty is racing. And Marty has been racing a couple years with his Evo.

You havent explained yet what you mean by successful. Furthermore, like Piers noted, it all depends on the rules of the series youre planning on competing in. If thats something youre considering. If youre only going to do HPDEs, its up to you what you want out of your car. If youre planning on competing in Time Attacks, check out their rules. But for the most part time attack events are wide open. If youre planning on racing, check out the rules for the class you want to race in because they vary greatly in some cases.

Quick Reply: 2.0L for road racing???