Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Does autox need shocks for autox

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2003, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does EVO need shocks for autox

I'm thinking about getting an EVO for SCCA A Stock autox competition. The original suspension package is pretty
darned good, but I was thinking that with adjustable shocks the daily ride would be a little better while allowing me to
crank it up on race day. So my question is - Will an adjustable shock package really help the EVO for autox, or is it
already so good that it isn't worth messing with?

This will be for local and regional, but probably not National level competition.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I think the Evo would benefit from adjustable shocks (mostly to offset body roll in transitions), it has been made painfully aware to me that there is a lot of time left in the car with the original struts (in the hands of the right drivers locally, Evos have placed in the top 5% PAX-wise multiple times). Combine that with the fact that the only option I am aware of is sending Koni a set of donor struts/shocks and having them build up an adjustable set for big $$$ and I am less enthusiastic about the idea. Despite that however, I did buy a set of low mileage dampers from someone who put on coilovers so that I would have a donor set if I did decide to have Koni build some for me. For the time being however, I am going to stick with the OEM units...

JW
Old Dec 4, 2003, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

You asked (and I answered) this same question on NASIOC. Haven't decided between the Evo or STi yet?

I'll give the same answer here. Don't even think about strut replacement until you are running R compound tires, running well, and getting beaten.

And there are much cheaper suspension tweaks which are legal in A Stock and which should be tried first: a custom alignment and front sway bar changes. On a stock Evo, camber and toe have decent range of adjustment at all four corners -- use that adjustability.
Old Dec 4, 2003, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

not to mention that coilovers would put you in the, I think, esp class....def not a stock
Old Dec 4, 2003, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jbrennen

Don't even think about strut replacement until you are ... getting beaten.
Funny, that's exactly when I stopped thinking about it

Getting beaten severely by someone in the same car is what told me how much was left in the car. Prior to that, I really didn't know. I was winning regularly and life was good. Then jbrennen lent his car out to one of our local hotshoes and that made it painfully clear that, while custom adjustable dampers would be nice, I had a lot more work to do on my driving. My shock budget suddenly became my autocross school budget.

Originally posted by camdog17
not to mention that coilovers would put you in the, I think, esp class....def not a stock
Adjustable struts/shocks do not necessarily equate to coilovers. It's just that in the case of the Evo, no one that I am aware of makes such beasts, at least none that they sell off the shelf. There are plenty of coilover choices however, and you are right that those would put you in street prepared at a minimum...

JW
Old Dec 4, 2003, 10:25 AM

Yep, thinking about both the EVO as well as the STI, plus the Volvo R series as well. Actually, it was the adjustable suspension in the R that got me thinking about the possibility for adjustable shocks for the EVO/STI. While there may be some final measure of tunability offered thru the adjustable shocks for 10/10ths driving - I also think there is value to being able to soften up the ride a bit for daily driving.
Old Dec 4, 2003, 10:53 AM

Lets Put it this way... I have been running in A Stock for about 4 months w/ my EVO. Myself and my team mate in another EVO stomp the ENTIRE field usually by more than a whole second on stock suspension! This includes: Vipers, Z06 Corvettes, STIs, Trailered in shelby cobra kit cars, Boxters....and the list goes on.

We are going to compete w/ both of our EVOs for the A Stock championship this comming season.

The EVO is the ultimate Auto X car BY FAR!!!!!! (as long as u can drive!)
Attached Thumbnails Does autox need shocks for autox-067.jpg  

Last edited by RIDE1; Dec 4, 2003 at 11:29 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2003, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

If you are comparing the Evo/STi to the Volvo S60R, be aware that while they look similar on paper, they are really quite different. The Volvo's stiffest suspension setting is still not as stiff as a stock Evo. The Volvo's AWD system is more like a FWD system that sends torque to the rear only when slip is detected. The Volvo has some nice specs, but it's really a mid-luxury sedan with good power, good handling, and a little bit of "bling-bling" factor -- like the 18-inch wheels and the Brembo brakes (which are overkill for most S60R buyers).

Don't get me wrong, I'd buy an S60R myself to replace the S70T5 which my wife has driven for 6 1/2 trouble free years. But I wouldn't get one to replace my Evo...
Old Dec 4, 2003, 01:04 PM

Yep, there is no way that the Volvos are going to compete with the EVO/STIs. The good news is that they don't have to... The S60R is in D Stock and the V70R is in G Stock. They are too big and heavy to toss around on small tight courses, but on larger more open courses their power advantage might make a difference.
Old Dec 10, 2003, 09:46 PM

Good Driving Ride 1

Ride 1-

What SCCA region do you race with? It's great that you won a lot but what is your competition like? I'd be really impressed if you were beating Evolution School Instructors! What you did is still quite an accomplishment regardless.
I have done the same thing in my WRX at a few events and in a CRX Si in CSP at some others. My co-driver and I ran at a Corvette Autocross last year and I won BOTH of their autocrosses that they had that day. Not by pax mind you but outright FTD. I beat an ASP prepared Z06!!! I'm still not in the league of the Evo School drivers yet but I make sure I hang out with them as much as I can and absorb their teaching.

I'm looking seriously at getting an Evo RS if it is not classed out of AS or ESP. I think an Evo RS with some Ground Controls, Konis, camber plates, and some 17x10 wheels on 310-17-35's Hoosiers, exhaust, intake and a legal piggy-back tuning would kick some serious butt. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Dave
Old Dec 11, 2003, 04:46 AM

Just to close the loop...

I heard from Doug Gill @ SCCA that it looks like the V70R will be kicked up to DS with the S60R eliminating any possible GS advantage.

And I pick up my EVO tonight!
Old Dec 11, 2003, 07:01 AM

Cool. I am happy for you! Enjoy your new toy. You'll never be able to remove that permanent grin on your face.

Oh yeah. And to bring my posts back on topic....the Konis will definately help. Konis are generally good for about .2 to about 1.0 seconds on course (course and car dependant). Spending more on struts only gives a depreciating return. ie Moutons, Penske, and others. Learn the Evo first and when you are absolutely driving the car on its edge and losing only to the better drivers by tenths or one hundreths of a second then get the Konis.

Dave

Last edited by Solo2WRX; Dec 11, 2003 at 07:07 AM.