Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

An old man and his Evo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
An old man and his Evo

After years of family life, career, kids, etc I finally got myself in the situation to pursue a lifelong dream. Buy a high performance sports car, modify it, enjoy it and track it. I am a 45 year old father of two, engineering manager.

So in May 2009, I found a bone stock Evo IX with 25k on it. Over 2009, I started minor mods, bolt-ons + tune, gauges, clutch, etc. I knew I wanted to try my hand at road course driving and later in 2009 I started minor mods (brakes, wheels/tires) to get ready to hit the track and see what it was like. And to see if I actually had any aptitude for it.

In March 2010, I attended my first track event, a 2 day HPDE put on by Autosports events at NSS (Nashville Super Speedway). I drew and excellent instructor who happened to align very nicely with my personality. I soloed on Sunday and the hook was set.

Unfortunately, I left that weekend with a howling transfer case (). So there was a 2-3 month delay while I drained the fun account and got a Shep stage 3 tcase upgrade and had the tranny fully built while it was all out.

In all I made 8 events this summer at 4 tracks. I don't think there are any drugs more addictive than track driving. For the last event of the year I went to Road Atlanta this past weekend with MVP Track time. Being my first time there and knowing it is a tough track to learn, I signed up in Novice group. Good move. The first time you crest the hill under Suzuki bridge and you cannot see the track it's a white-knuckle moment. But by Sat afternoon I was finding the groove and by Sunday I was having a blast and wishing I had signed up for Intermediate, a little vid:

http://vimeo.com/17141655

For any out there considering tracking their Evo's or any other car, here are a few notes from someone who just got started down the path:

1) The only thing you really need to address on your Evo to drive your first HPDE is BRAKES. Even mild bolt-on Evo's can hit high speeds and still weigh a lot. Track Pads, SS Lines and Good high temp fluid are basic safety equipment IMHO.

2) Tires. You will go through tires doing this. A lot of street tires will get torn to shreds driven hard on some of the rougher tracks (NSS is terrible). But DO NOT go straight to R comp slicks. The Dunlop Star-Specs are IMO the best HPDE tire out there. Wear like Iron, very good grip, very predictable break away with lots of warning.

3) Do not mod up to crazy HP and hit the track for the first time. If you watch the vid below, I am at 370awhp, on Dunlop Star-Specs with the SmikeEvo suspension (Bilstiens+Swift SpecRs). This vid is from earlier in the day of me trying to keep up with an Audi R8-v10 and a 911 Turbo both on Hoosier R6's. I can't, but look how close my car is even with this mild setup.

http://vimeo.com/17089288

4) In addition to not hitting the track with a car modded to the point that it is just too much to learn with, when you do mod the car, every mod should be considered against RELIABILITY. You will be astounded by how hot Everything on your Evo gets after a 20 minute session. Spend you money on Tires, Brakes, routine fluid changes and track time.

5) Learn to fully inspect your car before EACH session of an HPDE. Check fluids, visual check of brakes, check lug nuts and re-torque, check tires for damage. However, check tire pressures HOT right off the track. As you get better as a driver you will generate more and more heat during a session. I have found the Star-specs run well if I target 38psi hot. On most track this means I start with 28-29 in the fronts cold. Depending on what tire you run, ask around and find some good hot values to start with and go from there.

I would encourage anyone with an Evo to try track driving. Find a local HPDE and just give it a shot. The car is truly at home on the track and I have been very happy with my decision to purchase one to enter the world of track driving.

As for me, I will do a few upgrades over the winter and try to make 10-12 more HPDE's this next year, concentrating on running several with NASA-SE so I can work to HPDE4 and maybe in 2012 get a TT license and try some TT competition. I only ran one event with them this year (at CMP) but had a blast and ran in DE2.

I hope this rambling post can be of some help to anyone sitting on the fence thinking of trying track driving in their Evo.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Good on you!
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
nice post !
Old Nov 25, 2010, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad you are having fun! If you have any brake fluid issues check out two piece rotors. I wish I made that change long ago.

Dan
Old Nov 25, 2010, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rawkus
Glad you are having fun! If you have any brake fluid issues check out two piece rotors. I wish I made that change long ago.

Dan
I am debating that very thing over the winter. Been running Carbotechs (12/10) with Dba 4000 rotors, amsoil fluid, brake cooling ducts.

But RA finished off my XP12's in front and the rotors are showing early signs of heat cracks. Coming downhill at 140 into turn 10A tests your pads (and nerves).
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of Evo track days...
Old Nov 26, 2010, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Nice post

It's certainly a slippery slope; even at our age (I'm 48 )!
Old Nov 26, 2010, 07:51 AM

Thanks for your input Jim! Glad your enjoying the car whereas I think they are the best bang for the buck!
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Well stated Jim!
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Sweet, I saw you pass me in your video Nice

I was in the Blue 135i in the sunday novice run group. Was a bunch of fun. I went from a 2008 Evo to the 135i. Now that i am getting into track days i wish i kept the Evo...but i can't beat the 135i as a daily driver.

John
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:23 PM

Looks like a lot of fun
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by J5isalive2
Sweet, I saw you pass me in your video Nice

I was in the Blue 135i in the sunday novice run group. Was a bunch of fun. I went from a 2008 Evo to the 135i. Now that i am getting into track days i wish i kept the Evo...but i can't beat the 135i as a daily driver.

John
Hey, the 135 is a nice car, probably a much better daily cruiser. I still DD my Evo some, but it becomes a little more track toy and a little less DD as time goes by. "Slippery Slope' and all that.

In fact, part of winter changes is probably going to be a back-1/2 roll cage with harness bar, racing seat and good harness system. HANS device shortly after that. Probably just remove the back seats at that point and store them.

Shame about that S2000 in our class. Guy was lucky to walk away. Glad he did though.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice post. The R8 and 911 picked up distance at the straightaways. It did not look like you were at a disadvantage on the turns.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JDavenport
Hey, the 135 is a nice car, probably a much better daily cruiser. I still DD my Evo some, but it becomes a little more track toy and a little less DD as time goes by. "Slippery Slope' and all that.

In fact, part of winter changes is probably going to be a back-1/2 roll cage with harness bar, racing seat and good harness system. HANS device shortly after that. Probably just remove the back seats at that point and store them.

Shame about that S2000 in our class. Guy was lucky to walk away. Glad he did though.

Yea, i had been talking to that guy all day long... He was lucky for sure, he was also on rock hard w rated tires. He was quite the 'confident' type of guy, so honestly it didn't come as a surprise, but its a shame it had to happen... He was a super nice guy, ate lunch with him before it happen'd He was the first guy to come up to me at the track and start a conversation, very personable guy.

He had a GoPro camera so it may make it to youtube at some point.

Yeah, it is a slippery slope for sure... I'll be getting a set of track wheels and tires and probably going down the same route as you with half cage and hans... I have been eyeing some recaro pole positions, just not sure how they would be for daily driving...they sure look nice in a 1 series.

Which track days are next for you? I need to sign up for another...
Old Nov 28, 2010, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Some pics another forum members wife took (_chris_) .... hopefully he doesn't mind me posting them...Heres the ones i believe you are in.

And ofcourse the S2k that lost control through the Esses As mentioned the driver walked away...

Quick Reply: An old man and his Evo