Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

What is a race EVO worth

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2010, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jid2
I'd get it out to some track days next year with some of the "richer" clubs. Go beat-up on some of the Porsche, Vette, and BMW guys and put a for-sale sign on it. It's got the right mix of parts to be pretty fast on most tracks per $$, especially when compared to other brands.

If you haven't had it on track since the major sections of the build it will have some gremlins to chase for sure. At least if it's anything like my car.
Yeah, if your car has pretty much only sat in some garage getting constantly built with parts and more parts, you may want to consider at the very least doing a few 2-3day HDPEs.

Heres something else for you to think about. I have 2 friends that started racing around the same time i did. They started shopping around for a racecar by renting. They rented both Honda Challenge and Spec Miata racecars. They both ended up buying the SM racecars they rented. And the deal was they got to use some of the rental fees towards the purchase of their SM racecars. Im not suggesting you go out and start renting your car for HPDEs and Time Attack events. But its something for you to think about if you have the means to set it up.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 03:02 PM

thank you all for your input
Old Dec 2, 2010, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

keep it.... lol

It prolly wouldnt hurt to race it in a few events... have tf talk to redline time attack and set up a franchise team. If you need a driver... (me) lol.... do well, post consistant start and finishes and imsure it would be esier to sell...

Also list it in grassroots motorsports, I saw james elterman's takata sti for sale their for like $35k..... but once again it was a proven car.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 08:05 AM

There are only 3 reasons why someone would buy an "unknown quantity" racecar, ie: one that hasn't ever been on the track:

1) They don't know any better. Unfortunately, with the info available on the interwebz these days, most people do know better than to invest in a car that will most definitely have gremlins and need to be sorted. FWIW, it has taken me 1.5 seasons to finally sort my track car(Honda) after I finished an engine swap. It took a lot of time, a fair bit of money, and A LOT of track days to uncover and rectify all of the bugs and "sort" the car.

2) They are buying the car directly from a well known/reputable race shop. Youll see this a lot with Spec Miata builds, etc. People are willing to pay top dollar for brand new racecars that come out of some of the best shops in the country. Has the car they have bought been proven on the track or has it had all the bugs sorted out? No, of course not, it is brand new. But the well known shops have generally builts many dozens of said racecars and there will probably be very few bugs to address. Basically, someone will be willing to buy an "unknown quantity" (the brand new racecar) from a "known quantity" (the well known race prep shop).

3) They get a screaming good deal on the car. New car or old car, sorted or unsorted, bugs or no bugs..... money always reigns supreme. No matter what is wrong with the car or how new and untested it is, if you are asking the "right" price, you will have someone interested in buying it.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Generally track cars get at most 50% of what you have invested....My guess is if the car is street legal you may be able to get a tad more than if it is a pure track car.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

The standard rule of 'thumb' is you sell the current race or rally car for the price of the new (next) shape in stock form.

IE; If a new stock evo X RS is $33k then that is about what you can expect as a highwater mark asking price.

That said your next option is to pull the parts off you can and put the stock components back on and resell the race parts separatley.

Of course is someone is asking $70- $80 G for an evo 9 and gets it, then he's a winner, but it is very rare. And possible he's found a sucker.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:45 PM

thank you all very much this is very help full